Author Topic: About middle ear surgery  (Read 1597 times)

Himal

About middle ear surgery
« on: December 09, 2011, 02:25:51 pm »
I do not know any of you experienced this before, I did not read all threads. I have a moderate conductive hearing loss on my right ear and also in some  extent in my left ear. I approached to the university clinic and they recomended me to see Dr. Stanely Baker at Oklahoma city(Hough ear institute). So I went to see him on january last year(2011). He said surgery was needed. He also said that success rate is 90% over all but at his clinic, success rate is very impressive since he has been doing this for last 30 yrs or so. So I agreed to do surgery. I found out that  my  student insurance did not cover hearing at very last minute. I asked the medical assistan of dr baker to postpone surgery for a month or two because I did not have money to pay for and she said that " Oh Thagendra, You may not qualify for surgery at that time.". Then I borrowed $5500 and went for surgery. I need to mention here that Dr Baker initially said that he was going to use laser for the middle ear surgery, I guess most dr. use laser now days for this type of surgery. After the surgery, Dr said that he did not have to use laser. For first five weeks, my hearing was significantly good. Then slowly went back to pre-surgery condition. I talked to the dr and he said that he wants to redo surgery but this time with laser. he also said that Indian and Pakastiani continient people have different type of bone structure so the surgery he performed did not work for long time. I told him that me and my wife both are full time student and we could not pay twice for the same surgery. He said that he would help me with almost free or minimum cost. But now his assistant said that I need to pay another $5500. I do not know all of these make any sense to you but if someone can advise me about what to do, I would appreciate from my bottom of heart.
himalayan8000@yahoo.com