Author Topic: Better than normal  (Read 3169 times)

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Better than normal
« on: December 07, 2011, 09:26:07 pm »
I wrote an article for an issue of Standup Paddle Magazine...a little ashamed I haven't shared it here before this. If you happen to see the summer issue (Alpine lake on the cover) still on newstands check out page 100. For everyone struggling to get back to normal. Keep pushing hard and use the adversity to make yourself stronger.

===========================

“You have a brain tumor”. Hearing those words causes time to stand still, in microseconds you flash through what seems like a lifetime of thoughts, a hollow pit opens in your stomach…or maybe it’s your soul.
It turned out to be a vestibular schwannoma, a non-malignant tumor growing on the vestibular nerve from the inner ear balance organs to the brain. My treatment decision was radiation to kill the tumor. The tumor and scaring from radiation caused dizziness, vertigo, and headaches. Unable to ski, ride a bike, often unable to drive, simple things became difficult. 2004 to late 2007 was a roller coaster ride of emotions and a downward physical spiral.
Then my brother Bill made me a gift of a standup board…”maybe it will work as balance therapy”. I had done balance therapy and hadn’t seen much difference so I was very skeptical. I fell every few minutes for months until it finally started to work. Fast forward five months, on my 50th birthday, I was taking a break from the surf on a deserted wintery beach on Cape Cod when I started to smile to myself. It grew until it filled my whole being. Ever smile so hard your face hurts?
Another chapter in my life had begun. It started in an online conversation discussing the creation of a SUP charity event. I didn’t know at the time that I was talking to Mike Brown, a guy who was soon to become one of the best friends a man could have. The Cape Cod Bay Challenge was about to be born. In our first conversations I was just thinking about helping to organize the event. Despite my success I didn’t believe there was any way I could possibly paddle the 28 miles across the bay. Mike pushed me, Bill insisted and said if he was coming 3,000 miles to paddle I better plan on joining them. Training began, 3-4 times a week, a mix of surf and miles, going out in whatever conditions the ocean threw at me. Ramping it up every month in marathon training fashion until paddles of 18-20 miles felt good. A hardcore diet at the start and then watching what I ate combined with my time on the water and I dropped about 50 pounds. August 9th 2008 the date of the first CCBC saw me in the best shape I’d seen in over 20 years. I was very nervous as we launched from Plymouth in a dense fog that morning, still unsure and afraid of failing. 8 of us (Mike Brown, Bill Babcock, Shawn Vecchione, David Chokachi, Jody Craven, Paul Wilson, Jerry Issel and I) stepped ashore 28 miles later in Provincetown We had raised $12,000 for the Ocean Conservancy. Short of my marriage and the birth of my children it was the most meaningful day of my life.
August 20th 2011 will be the 4th annual Cape Cod Bay Challenge. Last year the CCBC ohana of 42 paddlers with the help of our great sponsors raised $80,000 for Christopher’s Haven an amazing charity in Boston that provides support and housing to kids and their families that travel to Boston from around the world for cancer treatment.
The CCBC is unique as events go. It’s all about everyone making it, working hard and training, supporting one another. The understanding of what it means to the kids, for some Boston is their last hope, drives us. Our family of paddlers and the incredible group of volunteers that have joined us are making the CCBC and the series of events we’ve created around it into some of the most fun and meaningful events in the SUP world.
“You have a brain tumor” It seems strange to say today that it is one of the best things that has ever happened to me.

=======================================

My life today truly is better than it has ever been. I appreciate what I have so much more than before. It's brought me closer to my family, most especially my older brother who I previously hardly knew (he went into the Navy when I was 5 and has never lived close by since). I've met and made many good friends and a few great ones. I've experienced so many extraordinary things (ever get sprayed by the breath of a whale?) To date the CCBC has raised over $250,000 for the kids at Christopher's Haven. Next year is our 5th anniversary and we're shooting for a total of $500,000.  None of it would have happened without the hard part of the journey.
It was very emotional to meet one young girl from South Africa this summer. Her Mom and Dad had been told to prepare for her funeral in S.A. She came to Boston for treatment at MGH and stayed at the haven for 4 months. she went home two months ago with no sign of disease.....still brings tears to my eyes...especially the one that waters a lot anyway...  :'( ;)

I hope all of you that are struggling your way through this can find your own silver lining.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all,
Bob
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 09:28:44 pm by stoneaxe »
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Heresrose

Re: Better than normal
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 09:38:23 pm »
Bob,

Thank you. You brought tears to my eye that is able to tear.

Merry Christmas,

Rose
3.2 x 2.1 x 1.5 partially removed via Translab on 11/28/11 w/Friedman & Schwartz of HEI, SSD, facial nerve intact but have facial paralysis and synkenisis.
3/4/14 MRI shows 3mm AN growth.
AN now is 1.7cm
4/11/14 CK Stanford with Drs. Chang and Gibbs

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 04:34:52 am »
Great article Bob. Thanks for sharing. I feel much the same way...life is very much better now and I would not have missed this particularly journey for the world.

Rock on,

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

frenchjoey

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 12:28:55 pm »
Thank you.
God bless!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 02:52:07 pm »
Bob ~

Well done!  Thanks for sharing this with us....and Merry Christmas to you and yours. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Chances3

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 11:38:53 am »
Hi Bob,

Being an athletic person myself - I was running 5 k races before my AN attacked my balance.  I had the buggar removed 13 months ago.  I have promised myself - I will run again.  I'm going to get past this winter and get back to my training this spring no matter how challenging my visual world is.  As many have posted - this 'event' in my life has taught me much, too much to discuss here.  I'm a better person today and I have a great appreciation for those less fortunate then me.  Thank you for sharing, it helps all of us to read such inspiring stories.

God Bless.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 11:39:28 am »
Very well written, Bob.

Thanks for sharing,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 06:51:57 pm »
Thanks all. It really is such an amazing journey we take. Lots of twists and turns.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org