Author Topic: Not dizzy but run into door jam??  (Read 5170 times)

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
Not dizzy but run into door jam??
« on: November 22, 2011, 04:47:18 pm »
This whole thing is so interesting  I got my diagnosis last friday night and have been thinking about a lot of things.  I just jammed my hand walking through a doorway and hit my shoulder (again).  It's one of those things, now, that I ask myself..."Is this part of it?"  Just wondering if anyone else has had this.  Lost my hearing in Left ear suddenly with tinnitus.  My AN is 1.6 cm.  Moving forward with the search for a good surgeon and faxed all my stuff to House today and overnighted my MRI cd.  It's scary...I just want to come out on the other side looking and feeling "normal"...I am so glad this forum is here!
stephanie
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

Archer

Re: Not dizzy but run into door jam??
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 05:04:42 pm »
Stephanie,
I think everyone's normal changes some through this.  Some have more to deal with than others.  I hope your change is small and inconsequential.  I run into doors, deal with tinnitus, and SSD and I feel I am pretty lucky.  Hope you come through this able to feel the same.

Good luck and God Bless.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 05:06:42 pm »
Stephanie

Welcome.  Well, this is a life-changing diagnosis and we learn to adjust to our "new normals", which, btw, includes what you note....so, I, for one, make a joke of it.  As AN's can affect our balance... and I walk into doors, lightposts, etc.... I just turn and apologize to them... like I honesty "hurt" them! :)  So, I walk into my bathroom door, turn and say "oh, sorry!"......... or my balance plays games with me at night while walking the dog... and when I lean over to "scoop her business" and nearly fall over, I apologize to the grass but laugh with "phew! Missed ya".

You were just diagnosed... and in time... and especially as you will see by those here that have been diagnosed/watched-waited/treated over the years... we have learned our best to try to adjust to our new "normals" and yet... learn to laugh along the way.  And trust me... we do.

Hang in there..... we don't bite (that part of our jobs as Admins/Moderators ... to prevent that from happening.... :) ) but most of all, we give our "good" ears, a non-soggy shoulder and yes, a bad joke or 2 along the way.

Be strong... we're here along side of you!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 05:11:06 pm »
Yup, bruises on shoulders are not uncommon for me.  Think I am going in the right direction and wham, there comes that doorframe.

Many of us talk about a new "normal," which is not always a bad thing ..... just different and with some modifications in how we do things.

We all hope you have an uncomplicated treatment and recovery.  That's the goal for each of us.  Blissfully, I have had two AN surgeries that were both uncomplicated and uneventful recoveries ..... but I chose my physicians very carefully.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Peter325

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 07:58:07 pm »
It's probably related to the AN, I was suffering minor balance issues like that for years and I just wrote them off as getting older, or I was in a hurry, or whoa! Where did that door jamb come from?!? =)

But after being diagnosed it all sort of fell in place, the AN has explained a bunch of my 'minor' issues.

Peter
Diagnosed May 2011 with a 2.8 x 2.6 x 2.5 cm right side AN - Surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on Oct 9th, 2012 - SSD and some minor balance issues - no noticeable facial weakness.

stephSF

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 10:15:43 pm »
 :) thanks for normalizing the door jam situation for me :)
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 06:52:47 pm »
Balance issues are usually part of the AN Journey.

Sounds like that's what you're experiencing.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

schmidtkat

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 11:30:01 am »
Stephanie,
Balance issues prior to and since my surgery seem to be a norm for me. Prior to my diagnosis of an AN I had some balance issues of which I was in denial. Since my AN surgery I have taken much the same approach as Clarice...humor! I joke about things that "go bump in the night" and it's usually me. Wobbling on my bike ride may be excused because I'm trying to multi-task with my cell phone. Taking the passenger side mirror of the car along with my left shoulder was caused by looking the other way and trying to walk forward. These and other daily balance quirks are becoming my new normal. But the successful removal of my 3cm+ tumor has left me thankful and blessed.
Kathy

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 09:40:07 am »
Door Jams....yep yep. I shoulder check walls to when I turn the corner. Its gots to be an AN thing cause I don't see others doing it.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

New girl

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 10:13:05 am »
Pre-surgery I hit door jams all the time.  I used to clip the walls at work when going around a corner.  Post-surgery I hit one occassionally but I think I am much better now.  For me it was definately AN related.
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

stephSF

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 10:47:09 am »
Well, I only dropped one dish over the holidays.  Hit the door jams a few times and index finger into shelves a few times.  All in all it was a wonderful Christmas.  Now the countdown to surgery on Jan 25th, with a good attitude and knowing we are doing the right thing. 
Stephanie

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 11:18:23 am »
Stephanie-Where are you going to have your surgery? What approach are you having done? Do you still have hearing? I will be keeping you in my thoughts  :D
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

New girl

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 12:16:55 pm »
Stephanie - Best wishes for your surgery in January.  I also decided to have my tumor (1.4cm) surgically removed.  I wanted to remove it while it was still "smallish" since the surgery is so complex.  The only time I questioned this decision was when I walked into the hospital to have the surgery.  I was scared to death! I just remembered this website and all the stories of people who had complications but have gotten through them.  Hold on - you will make it! 
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons