Author Topic: BAHA  (Read 3098 times)

ChristineH

BAHA
« on: December 11, 2011, 11:49:28 am »
Thanks Jan, Clarice and Dale for your replies..
This is my first dilemma...I am now SSD with very loud tinnitus that is beyond ignoring and I do not foresee myself getting "used" to it and have about 50% hearing in my opposite ear. I am hopeful that having a BAHA will provide other sound than this white noise. I am considering a BAHA but am not sure if this would be right for me me as I don't have good hearing in my "good" ear. I did try the demo on the headband (not sure what processor though) and the sound was "muffled". To the point that I didn't think it gave me enough viable hearing to be worth the expense. I have since returned to work and and am STRUGGLING to get through the day as I work in a college bookstore. I can't hear the students, literally leaning in towards them to hear them. I'm forever running after my boss asking her to repeat what she just said. I'm so frustrated but more DEPRESSED that I just want to quit and go home where I feel comfortable.
second dilemma...my 6 month MRI showed "enhanced area" Neurosurgeon said he couldn't "flick" the last bit of tumor off my facial nerve (we discussed this prior to my surgery, a roll of the dice...). My Neurosurgeon wanted me to see a Radiation Oncologist but the Neurotologist wanted to repeat the MRI in 6 months...so we decided to repeat it in 4 months (Feb) I have read many post that the MRI doesn't have any effect with having a BAHA but what about if I have to have GK?
One other question...can you hear your hair hit against the processor like a hearing aid?
 Thank you all for any advice you may have.
Christine
2.3cm x 1.9cm x 1.6cm, April 7, 2011 Retro Sig at Barrows in Phoenix, AZ. by Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter slight growth to 2.6cm -3.0cm day prior to surgery. SSD and balance isssues. 6 month MRI shows "enhanced area" : ( Will repeat again in 4 months.

JerseyGirl2

Re: BAHA
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 02:42:25 pm »
My personal experience has led me to believe that BAHAs work most effectively for us SSDers if one has excellent hearing in his/her good ear. There may be exceptions, but I'm betting that most people on this forum who really, really love their BAHAs have minimal, if any, hearing loss in their good ear.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)

Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 02:50:42 pm »
The trick to getting a BAHA processor that works if you have compromised hearing in your "good" ear is to get the more powerful processor offered - if Cochlear that would be the BP110 that just replaced the Intenso.   Not sure what that processor would be if you chose an Oticon product, but I'm confident they have one.

As far as BAHA implants and GK, I don't know the answer.  Good question, though.  I can check in with my neurotologist (he did my AN and my BAHA surgery) and see what he says (he also does GK).

I have had several MRIs without any problems after my implant.

I don't hear the sound of my hair when I wear my BAHA processor.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 08:38:12 pm »
The comparable Oticon Medical product is the Ponto Pro Power.  My audiologist told me this version would be the one to get if I had poor hearing in my "good" ear.

Do not know about radiation treatments with a bone anchored hearing device, but I think someone would have mentioned it to me with my history, if there was a potential problem there.  I've had one MRI since getting mine ..... no problem.

Never hear my hair on the processor, but I do hear an initial "rustle" when I put my hood up over it on cold days.  After all, it is a "hearing" device.   ;)

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 07:15:27 am »
Radiation and BAHA: Apparently not much of a real issue, as I start FSR on January 3rd. They are just going to program around the implant.

Keep in mind, there is a very noticeable difference in sound quality between the headband and implant.

Whatever you do, don't give up. Keep working with your docs and audiologist to find the combination of solutions that will work best for you.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 09:09:03 am »
I might be wrong on this, but I don't think that even the more high-powered BAHA models will be that useful if one's good ear "works" below a certain hearing level.

I would be interested in seeing comments from people who are SSD, need to wear a hearing aid in their good ear, and have a BAHA. How helpful is your BAHA with that scenario?

This might be something to contemplate as BAHA wearers age and begin to lose hearing in their good ear due to genetics and aging.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

tenai98

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 07:14:03 am »
My good ear falls just within the guidelines for a BAHA.  That is why I was unhappy with the BP100...Wasnt powerful enough...Just got my Ponto pro yesterday..and wowzers...I love it...the difference is noticable...I had to many problems with Cochlear's product to buy from them again.  I did demo the BP110 but man the feedback is unreal...never had feedback with the ponto...but again, my good ear just falls within the guidelines for the BAHAs...
Jo
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 08:00:48 am »
Jo .....

So glad you like the Ponto Pro Power!  That is wonderful!!

Just curious as to what the guidelines are (were?) in your good ear for a BAHA.  It was not an issue for me, since I have good hearing in my one functioning ear so maybe that is why no one ever told me about any guidelines.

This may not be right (and someone please correct me if I have been mislead), but there are additional parts to the hearing mechanism that can malfunction and cause hearing loss, besides the auditory nerve.  Eardrum, cochlea, labyrinth, etc.  I would think if the auditory nerve is functioning properly on the good side, a BAHA would be of great benefit.

Just my thoughts .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

tenai98

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 08:04:15 am »
Clarice, not sure the guidelines, but my audi told me and showed me my hearing test, that my hearing came just above what is recommended for BAHAs...In time when my good ear fails me more, I will have to go with CROS system...
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 07:00:26 pm »
Christine -

got a response to your question from my neurotologist regarding GK and BAHA implants.

Here is what he said:

"As far as I know, the BAHA fixure should not be a problem.  We would factor this in during the computer planning process to prevent radiation"collisions".  I could not come up with any documentation in the medical literature, but I will keep looking."

I'll let you know if he tells me anything further.

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways