Author Topic: Day 3 CK Treatment  (Read 2576 times)

Richard_T

Day 3 CK Treatment
« on: January 20, 2012, 12:37:20 am »
This installment is about day 2 of the actual CK treatment. 

Today, I met With my nurses, was greeted by the neurosurgeon that supervised my CT scan on day 1 and was led to the CK2 room and table, had my iPhone plugged in the dock, was led to the table, fitted to the mask, fastened down and was set to go.  I was treated as if I was now an expert at the process and, though I am not an expert, I was already sufficiently indoctrinated to know what to expect and had my own plan:  minimize swallowing and do so when the machine was repositioning only and do not try to minimize body movements from breathing, which would likely result in the sensation of taking deep breaths.  Of course, we all know about the best laid plans.  The breathing has worked for me, but I was compelled to swallow a couple of times while the machine was likely firing (I noticed that it appeared to immediately abandon its action by moving on at each such occasion, but it could be coincidental). At a few other times on this day, I swallowed when the CK was moving and I thought it had longer travel, but was wrong.  So, I was still in the process while the machine, presumably, began firing.  Nevertheless, things appeared to go well.

After the process, I was met again by Dr. Gibbs at the recliner outside the CK room.  We discussed my headache the night before, which was confirmed as normal by Gibbs and that Tylenol or similar headache relievers were ok, if I ever wanted to do so.  We also briefly discussed my plans to fly home the following morning after the third CK treatment and the need for no lifestyle changes.

As with everything set forth here, I do so in case people following me could benefit.  I listed my plan and detailed behavior during the CK only to be helpful.  While I may have missed some targets, I did not worry about that in advance, did not worry about it while under the CK, and did not worry about it afterward.  I have confidence that the CK and monitoring staff properly correct.  If not so, every patient would fail and I would have been lied to about my performance.  I'm sure that neither was the case.

Until the final installment...
1.9 cm x 1.6 cm x 1.8 cm AN diag. 12/09/11
CK at Stanford 1/20/12

Tumbleweed

Re: Day 3 CK Treatment
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 12:55:05 am »
Hi, Richard:

Thanks for the updates. I'm sure anyone considering CK will benefit from hearing your first-hand accounts.

I had CK a few years ago with the same team as you (Chang, Gibbs). I, too, tried not to swallow while the robot arm was in a fixed position and delivering radiation. It's a tricky meditation, isn't it?

Good luck on your 3rd CK treatment. May the Force be with you, Skywalker!

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 12:33:47 pm »
Richard, thank you for posting your first hand experience.  I'm recently diagnosed, October 2011, and in W&W but it's good to read what happens during a procedure.  I'm trying to envision the not swallowing during the procedure and can't since I remember during an MRI in 2008 I thought I was going to choke to death because I couldn't swallow.  No sympathy from the tech doing the MRI.   ???

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 05:14:43 pm »
Karen, I think the "not-swallowing" tack is not critical, as the CK robot's positioning will theoretically adjust to any minor movements the patient makes. Richard and I were both trying to give the robot ideal conditions to work by not moving in the slightest. But it's not absolutely necessary. Ongoing overhead X-rays constantly track the patient's movements while being treated and convey updated positions in real time to a computer that readjusts the robot's positioning to compensate. So don't let the "not-swallowing" bit deter you from getting CK, if that's your preference.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

chloes mema

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 05:48:14 pm »
TW, I was thinking about this after I posted this afternoon and decided if / or when the time comes I'll just have to "suck it up" and do it!  Amazing what the mind can do, both good and bad.   ;)

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Richard_T

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 11:21:00 pm »
Karen,

Swallowing does not appear to be critical.  In fact, Jackie (wonderful male nurse) told me that swallowing was o.k.  Avoiding swallowing is just one of those things that anal people like us try to do to try to reach some type of perfection, even if not always attainable.  So, I can say that I did not read in any magical tome not to swallow while the CK is delivering its rays.  It does not appear to be difficult to avoid the really extreme stuff, like hacking coughs, which should be done only after waving to the staff to stop the machine first.  It just seemed to make sense that if the plan is not to move, if you take that to its extreme, swallowing is something, while prostrate, that seems to be compulsive and/or repetitive.  Since you could move ever so slightly, I play the game to try to avoid it until the CK moves to reposition itself. 
1.9 cm x 1.6 cm x 1.8 cm AN diag. 12/09/11
CK at Stanford 1/20/12

chloes mema

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 10:05:18 am »
Gottcha!   ;D

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back