Author Topic: Obligatory post on 2nd year anniversary...  (Read 2780 times)

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Obligatory post on 2nd year anniversary...
« on: February 13, 2012, 07:38:17 pm »
...of the end of surgery.

If the rule of thumb I heard once is true (that for every hour of general anesthesia you need one month of recovery), after 32 hours of surgery for the removal of 90% of the tumor, three separate laryngoplasties under a general (we'll that 4 hours), I still have another 12 months to go for full recovery.

So, apart from lingering effects from 28 days of FSR completed last week (still some stomach upset and now some minor headaches), life is pretty darn good. There is very little I can't do as normally before. I still have some synkesis and a collapsed nostril, but my voice is better and better. I can sing a short bit, and even modulate my voice.

Again, life is good. Darn good.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

spgreenfield

Re: Obligatory post on 2nd year anniversary...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 08:47:17 am »
Good for you Tod!  It's those whining like me that need to hear from you!  About the singing....can you sing in large groups and hear your own voice?  I'm only 1 month post surgery and tried on Sunday to sing in church but wasn't sure I was hearing my own voice or where it was....I used to love to sing but now I'm not so sure.....does the BAHA help at all?

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 09:19:39 am »
Pam, give yourself plenty of time to heal. One month post is a very short time. In my case, I had a paralyzed vocal cord and could hardly speak above a whisper. Fortunately, the audiences I had to speak to as part of my job were very understanding and patient as it was months before I could count beyond seven without stopping for breath. Now though, I am gaining volume and modulation. Also, and maybe this is an unforeseen gift, I am much more aware of when I am off-key. (Definitely a good thing.)

I think the BAHA does help with hearing my own voice. I think.

If you are in church, singing, at one month post, I have no doubt you are going to be just fine. Just be good to yourself and be patient.

-tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 09:33:17 am »
Tod, you are definitely an inspiration to all those who have issues post-op...to go through all that you have gone through and still say life is good is just awesome.  Congrats on the 2nd! May the coming year be better for you!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 11:59:00 am »
Congratulations, Tod.

You've been through a lot.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 02:46:33 am »
 :) G'day Tod - Congratulations on your 2nd anniversary.  Have loved reading your posts since coming here Oct 16th 2010.

I have a vocal cord that isn't working after the surgery last week (12/7) and my doc is going to have another look in May. I'm hoping like crazy that it switches itself back on before then.  I miss singing along to the radio of CD but I do it just as well in my head and have probably saved many a person telling me to shhhhhh LOL

I think I'll throw a cyber party here for my 2nd anniversary on the 18th August and everyone will be invited!

Bye for now and well done mate.

Cheers, Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

Chances3

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 02:47:27 pm »
Congrats Tod,

You have been inspiration to me many times.

God Bless you man !