Author Topic: Blogs anyone?  (Read 3861 times)

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
Blogs anyone?
« on: March 06, 2012, 09:31:34 am »
I'm a bit of a "blog-aholic" so when I first found out I had an AN I immediately started up a new blog to keep track of this entire journey. I've always found writing to be really therapeutic for me and it's provided a great outlet for me to sort through my thoughts and emotions. I've also read blogs of other people who have been in this situation and have found them to be hugely helpful.
Is anyone else out there blogging? If so, I'd love to check yours out. Mine is: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com:)
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Re: Blogs anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 12:33:57 am »
Dear Manders,

Very interesting concept, keeping a journal of your blogs and vice-versa. Most of us prefer to publicly talk things out but, keep going it's interesting!

I used to call my Acoustic Neuroma (schwannoma) "Irving" that's before I had him sub totally debulked! Then for 8 years, I forgot about "Ir" until he grew again now "Irv" patiently waits for me to
"Kill Irv" ala Kill Bill!

How's that for humor!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Manders

• Awkward Turtles
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 07:19:49 am »
Haha, I love it, Mike! I hadn't thought about naming it. I'll have to give this some thought....so how did you decide on Irving? And yes, I think humor is certainly a great, healthy approach to the whole situation.
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

MDemisay

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 10:00:30 pm »
Manders,

Promise me you're not going to think I'm weird! My inspiration comes from a 60's black and white cartoon called Krazy Kat and Ignatz!

Yet I didn't want to call it Ignatz because the name Iggy is to cute, so I chose an ugly name like Irving debulked "Ir" grown a little "Irv".

Voila!

Humor accomplishes 2 things it makes us smile or laugh, and it shrinks or makes it smaller in our "minds eye"

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!

Manders

• Awkward Turtles
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 09:30:10 am »
Certainly not weird! In fact I think I might just "borrow" the name Iggy from you. I really like it! I think giving it a cutesy name makes it seem much more harmless.  :)

JennieD

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 11:19:14 am »
Hi Manders,

I also have a blog. I don't update every day or anything, but I think it is a great outlet to get out whatever we are feeling. My blog link is: http://sunflowersentiments.blogspot.com/- the last post is the first time I have spoken about my Dad's AN diagnosis to the "world" and the first many of my friends have heard of it. Your blog looks great!! Thanks for sharing!

-Jennie

MDemisay

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 09:52:56 pm »
Manders,

I am glad to inspire you! You may use it with pleasure! I have another for you in 1974 I also had 3 AVM's removed which I thought were unrelated. But since they are totally dead and were removed I shall name them for the first time tonight

Moe, Larry and Curley. 3 Stooges( who are also dead). But while they were alive they were known for their mischievous antics. Here is the connection before I had my operation the Doctor thinks I had radiation which could have caused a slow growing AN. I also had a digital cell phone which I used with my left hand and my left ear.

I want everyone to know that I am not bitter, just committed to "kill Irv"

By the way, I am very grateful to be alive. Now that I know the connection, I no longer feel extremely unlucky. Just fortunate to have this forum to share our stories which bring us together.

I also have to tell you that the brain is very adaptable thankfully!

Mike

Manders

• Awkward Turtles
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 08:29:07 pm »
Jennie, I checked out your blog and it looks really great. I love the title too! ;) Blogging is such a great way to get all of your thoughts and emotions "down on paper" and out of your head.
 And, Mike, congrats on the  naming of your 3 AVMs. I think Larry, Curly, and Moe are very appropriate selections! I must admit, your posts always make me smile.  :)

MDemisay

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 04:49:26 pm »
Manders,

I think that inspiring people is what I do best. Whether, it is with a joke or something that is serious but silly, it makes people stop and reconsider our lives, as it were, there is a purpose for everything.

Please if you want a serious laugh there is a YouTube video by David Minnick called "My schwanomma" it's gone viral and it's a classic! It is a must see Manders!

Mike

Our purpose is to keep encouraging each other to talk and in some cases laugh!

Susan A

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 06:28:36 pm »
LOVE the "My Schwannoma" video - thanks for posting that!!
2011 8 x 7 mm AN, & 20 x 22 mm M found, both on the left. Mosaic NF2 diagnosed. Some hearing loss
2014 hearing 30% on left, now using hearing aid (HA)
2015 Now have CROS HA - no longer hear enough for HA to be useful in AN ear
2016 Use an FM system on occasion at work to supplement HA

MDemisay

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 12:13:00 pm »
Susan,

It was a riot! Glad I could improve someone's mood! You are most welcome spread it around, life is serious only when you let it be!

Mike

Wish that it could be so simple!

Manders

• Awkward Turtles
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 12:41:35 pm »
Hahahaha oh my goodness love the video! I will certainly be posting it on my blog. Thanks for sharing, Mike!  :)