Author Topic: 2+ month post op and facial swelling on AN side  (Read 4311 times)

spgreenfield

2+ month post op and facial swelling on AN side
« on: February 29, 2012, 11:10:31 am »
I can't get my surgeon's nurse by phone - left message and am waiting to get call back from fam doc locally.  This has been coming for many days - noticed my glasses tight on left side a few days ago and thought nothing of it - this morning my mouth is sticking on the left AN side and the crease for my mouth deep and obviously fluid filled.  Surgical site has been tender but not horrible.  Noticed a 90 degree "dent" behind my left ear almost about the same time as glasses being tight....any thoughts?  Should I be more worried than just waiting?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:47:13 am by spgreenfield »
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: URGENT! 1+ month post op and facial swelling on AN side
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 11:25:28 am »
I am not a dr.... nor play one on tv... suggestion... if you can't reach your surgeon's office or fam doc in a very reasonable short amt of time, suggestion is to go to ER to have them check. 

Please hang in there and keep us posted.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mk

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 11:50:25 am »
I am not sure about the facial swelling, but I also had the appearance of a "dent" low behind my ear at about 4 months post-retrosigmoid. At the same time I was feeling like the area behind my ear, along the incision was swollen. I can clearly feel the dent still, and I think it is more likely there for good. The swelling feeling subsided after a few days. I have read about the dent on the forum before, so I wasn't overly alarmed, I think all this has to do with the bone/soft tissue healing.
However I don't know why the face would feel swollen, so I would check it out. Let us know what you find out.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

spgreenfield

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 01:06:57 pm »
OK, just heard back from my surgeon's nurse and we talked at length about the source of the swelling.  I am nearly 3 months (I forgot it was that long) post op - she said that if the BACK of my head was swollen it would be one thing - she can't figure out what could be making the front swell.  Unless my sinuses have gone haywire or something?  I helped someone move on Monday and was doing some lifting and a lot of bending to clean - but other than that nothing weird.  I called my family doc again to ask about a call back and of course it's their lunch hour right now....so I have to wait until they call me back!  If numbness wasn't my normal thing I think I would have noticed it.  And it's been gradual too - not overnight sudden - because I remember feeling like my face was a little "droopy" yesterday because now I realize it was swollen.  Unless the ear has something to do with things I'm clueless....
Pam in South Dakota

Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

spgreenfield

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 01:17:32 pm »
I just had a thought....since my left nostril doesn't seem to be functioning much (some drainage in the form of very dried up mucus chunks - is it truly possible that this IS sinus drainage?  It has to go somewhere!  I've been trying to avoid that nasty cold that's going around and have been taking Mucinex to keep things liquid, but if my left nostril isn't going to drain things - I wonder if it's drainage?  Any thoughts out there?  I can blow out of the nostril - it's not totally blocked or collapsed - but my eye doesn't tear much at all and when I blow my nose nothing much comes out of that side....
Pam in South Dakota

Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

Cheryl R

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 04:04:05 pm »
Try taking a hot shower and then put a warm washcloth on the face too.     I am guessing it could be sinus.       I am doubting a leak of any kind but that is just my own opinion.       Maybe try a decongestant nose spray also.                    I had swelling for quite some time after some of my surgeries.        They might want to put you on antibiotic due to the close proximity of the sinus to the surgery area.   my family dr always has when it looks like I might have a sinus infection now as had sinus issues before ever had the whole AN business.
                                                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

spgreenfield

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 04:45:41 pm »
I've NEVER had sinus issues!  And I'm horribly dizzy today as well.  This is so disheartening....my family doc can't see me until tomorrow - so I guess I'll just have to live with it.  My head doesn't hurt like it's a sinus issue either.  I'm stumped....
Pam in South Dakota

Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

spgreenfield

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 12:38:59 pm »
So today the swelling was better so I cancelled the doc appt. - since there was really nothing for him to see.  I have no pain, and my balance is better.  We had nearly 2" of rain for the couple of days before my swelling - so I'm wondering if I'm going to be a walking barometer so something....  Will definitely be a pain!  I did massage my face this morning and that may help to release the extra fluid too....so we'll see.  Thanks for all your suggestions and encouragement!
Pam in South Dakota

Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

Cheryl R

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 11:12:37 pm »
I am glad to hear you are better.    Will be interesting to see if acts up again.                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

spgreenfield

Re: 2+ month post op and facial swelling on AN side
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 11:49:54 am »
I have decided that for some strange reason I'm retaining fluids...my ankles aren't as bony as they should be and my rings are a tad tight.  This is a mystery to me, but I'll try seeing if a diuretic helps at all with my face...my girlfriend told me yesterday she had noticed before I did that my face was swollen....

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12