Author Topic: Waking up dizzy  (Read 10395 times)

sunfish

Waking up dizzy
« on: March 01, 2012, 07:25:41 pm »
Lately, I keep experiencing dizziness "in my sleep."  In other words, before I'm fully awake, I'm feeling dizzy and then I wake up.  I also experience nystagmus, or jumpy feeling vision/eyes, before I get woke up all the way and open my eyelids.

The dizzy feeling and jumpy eyeballs seem worse than they do during the day time.  Sometimes, I'm waking up dizzy enough to be kind of nauseated.

Does anyone else have this problem?  I'm 2 years post-treatment
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

LakeErie

Re: Waking up dizzy
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 10:57:14 pm »
I am almost 5 months post surgery and do experience the early hours dizziness and jumpy eyes while waking up early at 4 to 5 am. I do not experience nausea. The dizziness and feeling of eye movement both stop once I sit up a minute. I do not experience the dizziness or eye movement much at all during the day.
I do have some lightheaded feeling if I sit too long, while reading for example, during the day or evening. I have learned to get up and walk around for a few minutes every so often - a couple times an hour - and the problem does not occur.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

HJY

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 02:06:33 am »
Hi!
I have this problem too! I find most mornings I wake up more gradually (usually to the ever increasing cry of my baby!) and it is not so much of a problem. If I lay down during the day and sleep, particularly on my AN side I wake with a heavy wonky head feeling. My balance is really off and I feel quite dizzy. It takes about 5 min to clear if I sit still, sometimes longer. It's funny I should read this right now because I just woke up, jumped up in a rush and fell flat in my face! Never the most glamorous of moves!!! I did ask my surgeon and physio about this but they had no answers. I'd love to hear from anyone who knows what causes it!

Take care - and here's to waking up slowly!

Heather
1.4cm L sided AN removed 6th Dec, 2010 (7 weeks after my 3rd baby was born!)
Surgeons - Proff Marcus Atlas & Dr George Wong, Ear Science Institute, Perth Western Australia
Mid Fossa,Hearing preserved,HB level 6 facial palsy Balance
issues
1st Oct, 2011 - Facial recovery HB 2-3, sudden HL of 30dB

Tisha

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 10:47:14 am »
Sunfish,

Like i said in my other post to you, my nystagnum hit it's worse at 2 years exactly.  One morning it started at 5:30 and didn't go away for 12 hours.  I was frantic, could hardly open my eyes, or be anything other than horizontal.  Calling Stanford, my local doc, my own doc...i was seriously frightened.  It started getting a tad better, I could open my eyes and look down without being dizzy or having nystagmus.  i went to bed at 8:00.  That was never happened again like that (knock on wood).  I did have nystagmus 2-3 other times in 2011, but was up and about after 3-4 hours.  This 3rd year has been more wonky headiness than before, which is easier to deal with.  Do you take anything for the nystagmus?

I think that it got so bad at that time because my tumor was shrinking.  In July 2010 it was 1.8 and I had another MRI in Feb 2011 and it was 1.6.  Now, my own hypothesis is that even though it was shrinking in all directions, it was still on my balancing nerve moving about...not being still and steady.  maybe this is happening to you.  What was the size of your AN at this last MRI?

Tisha
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys