Author Topic: The ghost of 1974 reared it's ugly head again!  (Read 2198 times)

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
The ghost of 1974 reared it's ugly head again!
« on: March 08, 2012, 09:39:51 pm »
See what you all think:

I don't feel so special or unique anymore. In 1974, I had 3 AVM's removed and over 70 metal clips put in. This afternoon when I was in Dr. Sisti's office he revealed that he had a theory about why I had developed an Acoustic Neuroma in 2004 in the very same brain that the AVM's were in. For 8 years now that has remained an extremely unlucky coincidence that nobody could seem to explain.....

Until now...apparently I had received radiation exposure in the form of angiograms,embolizations, and fractionated radiation at the age of 17 and before. My doc doesn't think it's pure coincidence that I developed this tumor!

The point is now he wants to treat it with Gamma Knife surgery, I know that technology has come a long way since the early 70's.

In the 90's I was using a cell phone in the ear I lost the hearing in it was one of the earlier models ( not the bricks but it was one of the digital ones)!

Which do you think is the better explanation or is it a combination of both?

Mike

1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: The ghost of 1974 reared it's ugly head again!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 01:37:36 pm »
Mike ~

This is pure speculation on my part but I don't believe your radiation exposure or cell phone use was a salient factor in your AN development, but I don't hold a medical degree of any kind so my opinion is worth about what you paid for it and, of course, I could be wrong.  :) 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 03:44:28 pm »
Jim,

You seem to have missed my point entirely, when I made it initially.

Perhaps, I was too obtuse and my point wasn't apparent. Let me put it differently, the Doctor that would treat this would best be able to answer. But what are your thoughts re: the reexposure to radiation would it be harmful? He wants to bombard the tumor with (12gy) radiation?

Mike

1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 04:04:13 pm »
Mike ~

I apologize for the misunderstanding.

You're right, it's definitely a question for the doctor.  I received 27 Gy of radiation (via FSR) but was 63 at the time and did not have a history of receiving much radiation until that time.  The effects of irradiation (under medical supervision) are not perfectly understood but the move seems to be away from the old beliefs that radiation treatment is only for those over 60.  My radiation oncologist was very exact and informed me that I would receive the absolute minimum 'dose' of radiation - very specifically targeted - that would still be effective.  I suffered no side effects and the FSR did it's job of destroying my remaining remaining tumor's DNA and thus, it's ability to re-grow.  Mission accomplished! 

Six years later, I'm fine and I doubt the radiation had any long-term negative effect on me.  However, this is anecdotal and not 'scientific' proof of anything.  Again, we can speculate but your doctor should be your most credible source of information on this important issue. 

Jim  
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.