Author Topic: Back from the Neurotologist......  (Read 3674 times)

tatianne

Back from the Neurotologist......
« on: July 31, 2006, 11:43:12 am »
Well hes put me on the "wait and watch" treatment for now.
He feels that my AN is very small and said that sometimes(although rarely) they dont grow anymore
or heal on their own. He said the chance of this happening is very slim but he would like to wait and do a repeat MRI in six months.
He seems like he knows what hes talking about, hes quite young but has spent two years at Harvard doing studies specificaly on ANs.
He said if it grows he feel that gamma knife would be the best approach for me. He feels that the surgery is major and often comes with many complications, that with choosing surgey it may seriously affect my quality of life. He actually said, you think you have pressure headaches now....
He told me not to loose sleep over this but to stay aware of my symptoms and if their is any significant change in my hearing to call him right away.
What do you guys/girls/wenches think ???
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

Obita

Re: Back from the Neurotologist......
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 12:05:17 pm »
Sounds right on to me. 

I hope that now you can relax a little!!  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Derek

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 01:35:55 pm »
In total agreement....hang in there until such time that you HAVE to make that ultimate decision just as long as you have regular MRI's and reliable professional advice to guide you along the way.

I am into my 5th year of 'wait and watch' and as per 'Brucifer's' good advice....every day that you have a good quality of life is a bonus so why take unnecessary risks when treatment is non-urgent?
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 01:41:43 pm »
Sounds like you've got a good doctor!!!  Keep a diary, if you want, and keep track of your days and the symptoms you have and maybe that will be of some help to you and your doctor.

Sue in Vancouver, WA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

matti

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 04:08:17 pm »
I agree with your doctor and hopefully he was able to calm your fears. I think Sue's idea of a daily diary is a great idea.

Thank you for the update Tatianne and sending hugs your way!!

Cheryl

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 04:10:21 pm »
sounds like a sound decision...I def. agree with the dairy/journal documenting your symtpoms so you'll be more aware of them or see a pattern.

Best of luck to you!

tatianne

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 05:50:17 am »
tks everyone for the replies and the support.

Bruce i have had an audiogram and i will have another one in six months as well. ;) Let me know when you get your results from your MRI, my thoughts are with you.

I will definitly make the journal, thats a great suggestion.

Tks Again
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

Boppie

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 12:44:37 pm »
Kathy, I would have enjoyed being able to keep even a small part of my hearing underneath my AN.  But mine was discovered too late.  I had plenty of symptoms, even have all of my medical records for 10 years back. 

It is good to have a diary and report to a careful doctor.  I think the idea of waiting on a small AN is excellent.  I believe it is smart to use the best and latest technology for treatment, too! 

One sided hearing is my new normal, but it sure keeps me confused about where a sound comes from.