Author Topic: Should I take a train?  (Read 5126 times)

lrobie

Should I take a train?
« on: April 05, 2012, 12:45:13 pm »
As I am in the midst of making my decision on where to go for treatment, I was wondering if anyone has taken an Amtrak Train across the country to go to House.   If so, how would the ride back be?  It would take about 2 1/2 days in the train.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

Archer

Re: Should I take a train?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 01:24:30 pm »
This may just be my take on this but I'd keep travel as short and quick as possible.  I'd recommend flying rather than a 2 1/2 day train ride.  JMHO

cindyj

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 01:54:53 pm »
Ohhhh, if there's any way you can fly rather than do a two+ day trip, I'd fly...but as Archer said, just my opinion :)

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 02:35:05 pm »
I totally agree, if at all possible I'd fly home.  Take the train out if you need to but certainly fly home.  JMO also.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 02:45:47 pm »
Have to agree here with the flying home part ..... going out on the train might be a lovely relaxation, but coming home sitting up in a train for 2 1/2 days would have been torture for me ..... and I had a flawless recovery.  Our plane trip home (across the entire US) was delayed by several hours due to weather issues and I was exhausted by the time I fell into my own bed.  Cannot imagine 2 1/2 days on a jiggly train.

JMHO, of course!   ;D

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 03:13:21 pm »
Irobie,

If I had my druthers, I would take a train both ways, as I'm a fan of train travel! I believe there is no better way to see the country than by train! That being said, if you are going to have a procedure done it would be good to stay a day and then travel back by plane because it would not be to good for your balance and you may indeed be sick on the train.

So if I were you, I'd definitely go by train and enjoy yourself but coming back, I would want that to be as hassle free and illness free as possible (count on being off balance at least for a while).

In my honest opinion.

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 07:38:11 pm »
Oh my goodness! I see that you're from PA, so that would be one heck of a train ride from Los Angeles. I live in New Jersey and had no problems on the cross-country return flight home from LA after my surgery at House. Just my opinion, but I agree with the others who've stated that a train trip would most likely not be a fun way to return.
You might want to consider upgrading to first class for your flight home (I'm assuming you're flying in and out of Philly?) -- it will be much quieter and more comfortable, and going through first-class security at LAX is amazingly speedy.
Best wishes with your surgery and recovery!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

grammyslim

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 03:22:03 pm »
Is there not a hospital on the east coast as good as House? 
I am in Houston - family in PA and MD - want to look into what is out that way - think I need family around for recovery.

About flying back Southwest does one way flight that are reasonable compare to others - also some airlines do offer medical discounts.  You have to contact each one individually.
1.4 cm diagnosed 01/12
significant hearing loss rt side
total balance loss rt side - AN side -
left side already compensated (who knew)
Radiation completed May 2012 - all systems are GO -- so happy I chose radiation near home.

JAndrews

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 07:08:33 pm »
Although I was not in any pain on my return flight home from House to West Palm Beach--the flight home felt like torture to me. I would highly recommend if you can afford it, to get a first class ticket so you have more room. I think the movement and the length of the train ride would be unpleasant. Good luck to you!
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 06:14:27 pm »
NY Langone with Drs. Roland and Golfino are pretty good...Also a Dr. Sisti with NY Presby/Columbia University is another....Good luck

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Jeff

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 06:34:12 am »
I live  far from any treatment centers, and have had 4 of these surgeries - 1 in Phoenix, and 3 at House. I've flown home after each. While a bit grueling after surgery, I would prefer it to train travel. I think either mode of travel would be a challenge after surgery, but I prefer to get the traveling done as quickly as possible.
Best wishes,
Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08