Author Topic: My Acoustic Neuroma Story posted on 9-19-05 Update 1 year Anniversary!  (Read 5088 times)

Desilu

It was 1 year ago on July 26, 2005 that I had my AN removed. I decided to go back to House Ear Clinic for my checkup. My appointment with Dr. Brackmann went very well. There is no evidence of residual tumor. He told me that I lost a total of 15% of my hearing since last year.  He also informed me that I could be fitted for a hearing aid and that would take my hearing up to 100% in my surgery ear. You really can't ask for better news than that! I was unable to see Dr. Hitselberger due to scheduling problems. I did write letters to both of my doctors to thank them for all that they have done for me.  Dr. Brackmann said he would like me to have another MRI in 4 years.

Since I knew that the Doctors were going to give me good news (that's called faith).  I decided to turn my trip into a mini celebration and vacation. My son, Josh and I took tours of Los Angeles, went to Sony T.V. studios, took a trip out to Catalina Island and got together with friends that I had met at Seton Hall last year.

Can't explain in words how blessed I feel to have gone through all of this and to have such a good outcome.  God has been good to me!

Every AN experience is different for each person. I would say that I am about 95%. I still have slight tinnitus in my surgery ear and when I am really tired my balance tends to be off a little, other than that, I have no complaints. Would I do it again if I had to? In a heartbeat! As I have said before, if I can help anyone in anyway, please feel free to email me.

I want to thank everyone on this website that has helped me get through this journey in life. The support and knowledge from everyone has been very comforting.

Sincerely,  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Obita

Re: My Acoustic Neuroma Story posted on 9-19-05 Update 1 year Anniversary!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 05:37:39 pm »
Dear Ann:

What great news.  I am so very happy for you and your family. 

I love reading stories like yours. 

Thank you, thank you.  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Desilu

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 05:55:13 pm »
HI Kathy,

I only wish that there were more stories like mine! Many people with success stories don't bother to keep up with this website. I feel it is important to do my part. Others have helped me and now it is my turn! Thanks for the reply, Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa

Obita

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 07:13:52 pm »
Ann:

I was lurking around this forum while waiting for my two year MRI results last May.  I was very hesitant to post because my post-op was uneventful and life as I knew it resumed pretty quickly.  Then I read Dale's story - He and I had almost carbon copy recoveries so I posted.  I realized that best case senarios need to be in print too.

I am so glad I did.  I have made many friends here via email and the forum PLUS -  I met Denise Smith. She is like a sister to me.  I cannot imagine not having her in my life.  She wrote to me when she saw I had the same surgeons as her.

Life is good post-op, just a little quieter on one side. 

Nice to meet you,  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

pattibobatti

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 07:17:17 pm »
Hi Ann,
 Ã‚    What a wonderful outcome you have had! Faith is a good thing.... I hope you have a great day celebrating your anniversary.
 Ã‚                                                                   Pattibobatti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

matti

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 08:21:00 pm »
I just celebrated my 8th anniversary and life is very, very good! I hang around here because I think it is important to the newly diagnosed to see all phases of AN life. When I was first diagnosed in 1998 there was nothing but horror stories on the net and the first thing I did during my recovery was get on line and tell my positive story. I do have some AN issues I deal with everyday, but I still feel blessed.

Happy ANniversary Ann! :-*

hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Desilu

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 08:30:05 pm »
Thank You all for your kind words! Yes, there are success stories out there and we need to have more of them! Well informed, educated decisions and experienced doctors and prayer are the key for a successful AN treatment.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa

vcschaub

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 11:33:16 am »
Ann, such good news!! I read your private email as well. As you know, I also had a successful outcome. Prior to my surgery (8 Nov 05) and to the present, you have been such a great support. Being able to share my concerns with you and your telling me that I would be and was in such great hands was most reassuring. I was never nervous, much to my husband's surprise. Keeping in touch with you while recuperating is something I looked forward to and still do. I am so happy for you and also grateful for your kind messages.

Today I am exactly 9 months post op! I have lost about as much hearing as you but can still hear well. My facial weakness set in 10 days after surgery and is almost all gone, just a little synkinesis (mouth open, eye closes) and tearing while chewing. Everyone who sees me says they don't notice.

Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger are such kind men. Every doubt or question that I had they answered promptly, usually with a personal phone call. I can't say enough good things about them and the staff and facilities at St Vincent.

I hope to do the same as you and make my 1 yr check a mini vacation as well.

Viki
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 11:38:31 am by vcschaub »
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

TT

• Tenor Sax in stero; nothing better
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 11:53:51 am »
Dear Ann,
What a refreshing note; I'm truly happy for you. I'm constantly scanning notes on this forum looking for positive stories such as this.
I'm having Retro surgery on August 24th. I have all of the concerns and fears shared by all. Your story will get me through another day...thank you.

Terry
2 cm AN - right side
Diagnosed 6/22/06
Retro. procedure performed on 8/24/06 / SSD
Dr. Peter Smith & Dr. Robt. Backer
St. Johns Hospital - St. Louis, Missouri

Desilu

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 12:21:34 pm »
Hi Viki,

I feel so honored to be able to help someone through all of this. Happy 9 month Anniversary! We are survivors, we have reason to celebrate! Glad to know that you are doing well. Please keep in touch, Ann

Hi Terry,

Hang in there. You will get through all of this. We are here for you if you need us.  Before you know it, you will be telling others what I'm telling you right now! Please keep us posted on your progress, you will be in my prayers.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa

tatianne

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 01:29:52 pm »
thanks such great news and very encouraging, tks for sharing, it really helps to bring up my own spirits.
T
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 02:00:17 pm »
That's a really nice and inspiring story Ann! I'm not doing too bad myself!! I'm closing in one my one year anniversary as well. My surgeries were 8/10/05 for the shunt and 9/21/05 for the tumor.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Desilu

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 04:44:15 pm »
Hi T,

Glad I can boost your spirits! I wish you the best when you meet with your doctors. Please keep us posted.  Ann

Hi Paul,

Congratulations on your 1 year anniversary (almost!). It's good to hear that you had a good outcome also. I would like to read about your story in September also! Are you going to get and MRI done? Keep us posted.  Ann

HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa