Author Topic: Post trans-lab tinnitus  (Read 2471 times)

Marc

Post trans-lab tinnitus
« on: March 29, 2012, 06:56:09 pm »
So how bad is it...bearable I hope?  I'm likely having surgery in 4-6 weeks for a large AN.
Thanks,
Marc 
4x3x3 Vestibular Schwannoma
Translab @ HEI 04/19/2012
Left SSD, mild facial weakness

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Post trans-lab tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 05:09:20 am »
Do you have tinnitus now? Does it bother you? I had translab  2 years ago, and mine never changed. It is bearable, and is just part of my life, just like my little dog that wakes me up early every morning barking at the raccoons. Everyone has a different ability to deal with constant sound. I just bought a sound machine to mask the noise the raccoons make...my dog quit barking, and I enjoy the sound of the ocean or what ever sound I chose to play.

James

Marc

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 07:16:50 am »
James,
I do have left side tinnitus now.  I feel that I could certainly "live" with it as I only really notice it when I'm not talking or going to bed.  My hope was that it wouldn't get worse post surgery.  I've likely had my AN for 10 years and never had a symptom...just finished a marathon 4 months ago?  Now I have odd facial sensations, mild disequilibrium and hearing loss, and occassional tingling in my arms? Hope to have surgery very soon and get my life back to the "new" normal.
Thanks,
Marc 

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 09:17:27 am »
Marc, I did not have tinitus pre-surgery, but I sure do afterwards. However, I have gotten pretty good about accepting its presence - and playing music or tv in the background.

In the woods, it is another matter. But I have found that one of the keys is to not admit its presence. Tallking about it, thinking about it, writing about it, all make it worse for me.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 03:45:05 pm »
Where did you decide to have the surgery?

James

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 07:09:38 pm »
Hi Marc.  I had it before and after it has just changed some.  It is bearable and tolerable.  You just have to accept it if it is there.  It's just part of it.  If you allow it to get the best of you like any other part of thr diagnosis, treatment, and recovery, then it will be worse.  I really think the hardest part BY FAR was the time leading up to surgery and the anxiety we had.  Thank goodness however, that is GONE when you wake up after surgery. You are going to do amazing, I just know it!!  You have a lot to live for and recovery is a lot to do with attitude.  Also, my vestibular nerve must have been already shot because I did fine walking.  I was a little wobbly, but never ever felt like I had to learn to walk.  Like I said before, I am 9 weeks post and am exercising more then before surgery.  I even rode my stationary bke for five miles this morning.  No problems ...except I am out of shape.  Haaa
Stephanie
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

Marc

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 07:13:19 am »
Thanks.  It seems like from the comments that the tinnitus does not get much worse, if any, post surgery.  Still don't have a surgery location/date as a navigate through the military referral process.  Due to the number of cases encountered in Bethesda, my surgery will most likely now be in the TRICARE dependent region.
-Marc

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 11:57:54 am »
Marc ~

I didn't undergo the Translabyrinthine surgical procedure (my neurosurgeon chose the Retrosigmoid surgical approach based on the size and location of my AN) but from what I've observed on these forums over the past six years, surgery usually doesn't have a big effect on tinnitus, one way or the other.  A few AN surgical patients do develop tinnitus post-op and a few experience a lessening of tinnitus post-op but tinnitus remains relatively stable for the majority of AN surgical patients.  As with any medical condition, there are always exceptions to the norm.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.