Author Topic: feeling better about my choice  (Read 2136 times)

madison

feeling better about my choice
« on: April 09, 2012, 03:54:03 pm »
hi-  thanks to all of you who responded to my posts.  I don't know what i'd do without this forum!
I will most likely be having translab in june. I still have to see the otolaryngologist.  i am going to jefferson
univ. in PA. and I was doing some research... turns out it is listed as a recommended facility here on the ANA site.  I also found that my surgeon was in the top 1% of the country for best neurosurgeons on the 2011- 2012 us news top docs.  Both of these factors have eased my mind about making the right choice for me.  so now i think i am ready...time for the waiting game. I did look at some old posts with my inquiries regarding what to expect immediately after surgery so i feel a little better about that too.  My one big worry is whether my face will be droopy. ok, well if anyone has any comments, that would be great. I always look forward to reading your posts.
Pennsylvania:female: 40 yrs. old
R ACOUSTIC NEUROMA;GAMMA KNIFE FEB. 2008
multiple meningiomas
scheduled for translab @ Thomas Jefferson in Phila. Pa. on 6/18/2012

Suu

• Better out than in.
Re: feeling better about my choice
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 12:37:28 am »
Hi Madison

Do you have a hobby that you can get engrossed in while waiting?

My face dropped rather badly but I have a fantastic doctor that knew how to do the sling while waiting to see if the facial nerve was going to begin sending signals again.  It didn't.  Recently I've had the 12/7 nerve graft to try to get some animation back mainly in my eye-lid and brow movement.  I am so glad I had the sling done because it's been the biggest confidence-booster I could have hoped for.

I'm nearly 2 years down the track after tanslab and many surgeries to fix a CSF leak etc (it's down the bottom of my posts what and when I've had done).
At first I didn't handle things well at all but that was before finding this wonderful group of like-minded people. I wish I had come across it before the AN surgery. Nothing would have changed except my reaction to everything that was going on.

If things happen that we aren't aware of we may not handle them. You are arming yourself with knowledge as well as all the love from everyone here. You are going to come through this with loads of support.

Ask as many questions as you like.  Power is in our understanding of what's happening to us.

Lovenhugs,
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: feeling better about my choice
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 01:08:09 pm »
Hi, Madison ~

You're going into the AN surgery with exactly the right attitude; confidence in your surgical team and a positive outlook.

No one can guarantee that there won't be challenges ahead, including the possibility of some facial nerve issues, but that is not a given (I underwent both surgery for a 4.5 cm AN as well as follow-up FSR - with no facial deficits).  Fortunately, there are many therapies for any facial weakness that may develop and for many, facial weakness is temporary, as are most post-op issues.  Patience will be needed, even with a great outcome because you'll want to 'get back to normal'.  We all feel like that.  The good news is, you will.  Just give it time.  Some of our members have gone on to ski, take cruises, run marathons, etc post-surgery so the future looks pretty bright for AN surgical patients today.

As you await a surgery date, don't allow the 'what-if's' to dominate your thinking.  That road goes nowhere.  Instead, envision being post-op, home and recovering nicely, doing the things you like to do with the people you love.  That's what I did and it worked out fine, as I'm sure it will for you, too.  Lots of folks will be praying for and thinking of you now and on your Big Day, so you'll never really be alone in this.  With all that going for you, I hop you'll be able to relax a bit and enjoy the spring weather.  :)

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.