Author Topic: One year post-op, 4 years post-GK  (Read 2564 times)

mk

One year post-op, 4 years post-GK
« on: April 25, 2012, 07:38:35 pm »
This week marks both my surgery and GK anniversaries. Coincidentally they both happened around the same time - I had GK 4 years ago and having failed that, my AN was removed by retrosigmoid surgery exactly one year ago. So I have the rare "distinction" of being both a radiation and a surgical veteran.

After a very long, tortuous and often very frustrating journey, I am happy to report that I have very few lingering effects from the whole ordeal. I had a very good recovery from surgery and within a few months I was back to work full speed and busy as ever. The most annoying side effect was that an old neck/shoulder injury acted up because of the positioning during surgery and required physical therapy. I also still feel some soreness around the incision area.
 I am SSD, but this hasn't been an obstacle in my everyday life and work. I am still teaching large classes with no problem. Having read all the positive stories about the CROS hearing aid, I am now considering getting one. I do have dry eye, but I have been dealing with it using drops regularly. Other than that I haven't experienced any fatigue or headaches, actually I feel more energetic than what I have been in years, and the fatigue I had experienced in the last decade (in retrospect I realize now that it was probably due to the AN growing) has disappeared.

My neurosurgeon did have to leave a tiny sliver of the tumor on the facial nerve, so I guess I am kind of on a W&W on this. My first post-op MRI didn't show any signs of the remaining tumor, and I hope it will stay like this. Next MRI should be scheduled around June.

There is not a day that passes without thinking about how grateful I am: That this was a benign and treatable tumor, for my doctors and the medical care I received, for this forum and the incredible people here, for my family and colleagues who have been so supportive.

The sense of gratefulness is well known to all seasoned forumites, but I just wanted the newbies who are now seeking treatment options to know that there is life after an AN diagnosis, and that they can have very good outcomes (surgical, radiation or W&W), even if there are some bumps along the way. This forum is here to support you and encourage you.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Suu

• Better out than in.
Re: One year post-op, 4 years post-GK
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 01:51:53 am »
Marianna - thankyou for telling us your wonderful story of hope and courage.

Blessings come from within all of us and I'm grateful to be here and able to read posts like yours.

Kindest regards and love

Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 12:01:05 pm »
Marianna ~

Please accept my thanks for your encouraging update.  Like you, I underwent both surgery and radiation and also enjoyed a relatively problem-free recovery for which, again, like you, I'll always be grateful.  My doctors were outstanding and my treatment, top notch, in my opinion.  As you noted, AN treatment outcomes are generally anywhere from good to excellent.  Even when problems arise, they are usually temporary - and treatable. 

I want to add that your thoughtful and informative contributions to the ANA discussion forums are much appreciated by all.     

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 10:18:21 pm »
Marianna ~

I want to add that your thoughtful and informative contributions to the ANA discussion forums are much appreciated by all.     

Jim

I heartily second that statement!

I'm really happy to hear you're doing so well, Marianna. Good things happen to good people.

Warm regards,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08