Author Topic: 9 month followup  (Read 2675 times)

patbiedermann

• One day at a time...small steps!
9 month followup
« on: April 16, 2012, 05:43:18 pm »
I had my 9 month followup in March, both the MRI and with my doctor.  The MRI showed no growth of the 5 mm. tumor that the surgeons had to leave in.  In the Fall when I had the MRI, neither the radiologist or the surgeon could tell at that time if it was postoperative changes or residual tumor.  No growth is a good thing.  i will have another followup in September or October.  As long as it shows no growth, they don't plan on doing anything.  Should it begin to grow, then they will do Gamma Knife.
I went back to work February 6, full time hours.  It is and still is quite tiring, but I am learning to manage.  My employer said I had to go back fulltime or nothing.  My work was checked the first month i returned, which I was glad about.  My job entails coding of medical records which in turn determines the reimbursement received by the hospital.  It is a very challenging job that requires a lot of thought processes and knowing alot about government regulations, etc.  the first 2 weeks i was at 98% accuracy, then dropped to 97%accuracy.  (95% is unacceptable and requires constant review and possible disciplinary action).  In the 2 months since I have been back the case mix has gone up (which is  good). Today I found out that I won a very big Medicare appeal.  So I haven't lost my touch.  Since I have been back, i have learned alot about myself.  I seem to be a lot more sensitive than I was.  I cry very easy.  There are some days I just don't want to go on and wonder if it was all worth it.  But I will.  i am still making progress every day....small steps.  My doctor says it is still early in recovery, yet.  there are times I don't want to see or be around people.  I still don't go out to functions where there a lot of people. Wednesday, I am making my first long distance drive by myself.  I have driven once about 30 miles, but I had someone with me.  Work is only 5-6 miles from where I live, so this will be interesting.  It is a little scary, but I have to get over it.  I feel I am the only thing holding me back fromdoing things, and the sooner I get over the fear, the better I'll be.  I managed to do some sewing (something I loved doing) tonight.  It was great to know I can do that.  Cutting with scissors needs some practice, not too good with that yet.  I have gone on too long, so I will close now.  SMALL STEPS!!!!

Translabyrinthine removal on 6/13/11 for a 3-4 cm cerebellopontine angle tumor (vestibular schwannoma) at University Hospital in Syracuse, NY by Dr. Deshaies and Dr. Woods.  10 1/2  hour surgery.  Got 90-95% of tumor. Hospital stay for 10 days. Inpatient Rehab for 7 days.  doing pretty well.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
Re: 9 month followup
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 06:57:21 am »
I had my 9 month followup in March, both the MRI and with my doctor.  The MRI showed no growth of the 5 mm. tumor that the surgeons had to leave in.  In the Fall when I had the MRI, neither the radiologist or the surgeon could tell at that time if it was postoperative changes or residual tumor.  No growth is a good thing.  i will have another followup in September or October.  As long as it shows no growth, they don't plan on doing anything.  Should it begin to grow, then they will do Gamma Knife.
I went back to work February 6, full time hours.  It is and still is quite tiring, but I am learning to manage.  My employer said I had to go back fulltime or nothing.  My work was checked the first month i returned, which I was glad about.  My job entails coding of medical records which in turn determines the reimbursement received by the hospital.  It is a very challenging job that requires a lot of thought processes and knowing alot about government regulations, etc.  the first 2 weeks i was at 98% accuracy, then dropped to 97%accuracy.  (95% is unacceptable and requires constant review and possible disciplinary action).  In the 2 months since I have been back the case mix has gone up (which is  good). Today I found out that I won a very big Medicare appeal.  So I haven't lost my touch.  Since I have been back, i have learned alot about myself.  I seem to be a lot more sensitive than I was.  I cry very easy.  There are some days I just don't want to go on and wonder if it was all worth it.  But I will.  i am still making progress every day....small steps.  My doctor says it is still early in recovery, yet.  there are times I don't want to see or be around people.  I still don't go out to functions where there a lot of people. Wednesday, I am making my first long distance drive by myself.  I have driven once about 30 miles, but I had someone with me.  Work is only 5-6 miles from where I live, so this will be interesting.  It is a little scary, but I have to get over it.  I feel I am the only thing holding me back fromdoing things, and the sooner I get over the fear, the better I'll be.  I managed to do some sewing (something I loved doing) tonight.  It was great to know I can do that.  Cutting with scissors needs some practice, not too good with that yet.  I have gone on too long, so I will close now.  SMALL STEPS!!!!

No you haven't gone on too long that is why everyone is here to vent and we listen...Good luck with the 30 miles you will be fine remember small steps is good ..

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: 9 month followup
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 08:49:04 am »
It sounds like you are doing really well with your recovery.  The crying more easily is very typical and will get less and less as you (and your brain  ;)) adjust to the modifications you are needing to make.

As for driving, I have no vestibular system now and will have balance issues for the rest of my life.  After my first AN surgery, I was terrified to drive.  I told my husband, "If I cannot walk straight, how in the world can I drive straight!"  He insisted I try it in a big empty parking lot.  I was totally surprised that I had little difficulty and I soon after resumed driving. Somehow, when I am not moving/walking, it is not a problem.  I still have to be very careful to use all of the mirrors and not turn my head rapidly to check lanes ..... in other words, plan ahead and be a bit more alert perhaps.  You will be fine.

I can empathize about not wanting to be around people.  I have no problem with small groups, but large groups of moving and/or loud people still bother me.  I have learned to choose where I stand or sit in those situations and stay to the perimeter or near an outside wall, rather than in the middle of the chaos.  It does get better!

You are doing remarkably well to resume what sounds like a stressful and/or challenging job!

Best thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011