Author Topic: It's Official - Date Set for Surgery at House!!  (Read 6642 times)

lrobie

It's Official - Date Set for Surgery at House!!
« on: May 01, 2012, 05:21:43 pm »
I am officially scheduled for surgery on July 18th.  I have the Friedman/Schwartz team. 

We will be taking the train to LA.  We leave on Monday, July 9th and will arrive on Wednesday morning, July 11th.  This will give us time to enjoy some fun “things to do” in LA.  I have testing and pre-op appointments July 16th and 17th.  I hope to be able to fly home on July 28th or 29th…once I get the go ahead from the doctors.   (Do you former House patients count 10 days including the day of your surgery for your return flight date?)

I would like to thank everyone for putting up with my procrastination, indecisiveness or any other thing that made you want to hit me over the head.  I had to apologize to my work buddies who have wanted to remove my tumor using my letter opener.  Sorry….not gonna happen!!

I expect that on July 18th, my friends, family and forum friends will be saying extra prayers, crossing their fingers and toes and pulling out those lucky charms.  I can’t wait to have all this behind me.  I am trying to keep a positive attitude as I lead up to my surgery.

Thanks again for all your support and listening ears.

Lisa

6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Re: It's Official - Date Set for Surgery at House!!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 07:49:59 pm »
You will do great Lisa. What I did was I did not purchase my return tickets until my post op appointment. Be sure you plan your "things to do in LA".
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 02:09:09 am »
G'day Lisa

I have it marked on my calendar and I really will have finger, toes, and even my eyes crossed for you!

If you get worried or anxious please come here and tell us so we may be your shoulder to lean on?

It's better out than in  ;D

Best wishes,
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 06:09:53 am »
Had my surgery at House on January 9 (2008) and flew back to New Jersey on January 19.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery period. You'll be in excellent hands!

Catherine (Jersey Girl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

IndySkye

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 10:56:51 pm »
WoooHooo! I'm schedule the same day but at Vanderbilt in Nashville. I'll be thinking of you....
skye

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 03:20:04 am »
Good luck and best wishes to you too, Skye.

Hugs,
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

OTO

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 08:32:47 pm »
I flew in to LA on sunday.  All day monday (7:30 am to 6:30 pm) doing pre-op testing, physical with blood work, urine, chest x-ray, ekg and pulmonary function).  Surgery tuesday.  Discharge from St Vincent on saturday.   Follow up with House doctors and internist on tuesday.   Followed up with House doctor and internist on friday with hearing test.   Flew home on sunday (a day earlier than planned).

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 07:39:58 am »
I flew in to LA on sunday.  All day monday (7:30 am to 6:30 pm) doing pre-op testing, physical with blood work, urine, chest x-ray, ekg and pulmonary function).  Surgery tuesday.  Discharge from St Vincent on saturday.   Follow up with House doctors and internist on tuesday.   Followed up with House doctor and internist on friday with hearing test.   Flew home on sunday (a day earlier than planned).

Congratulations another success story from HEI .... continued prayers for a speedier recovery which it sounds like you are having ...

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

lrobie

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 07:50:40 am »
OTO -

Was your surgery recent?  Who did it and what surgery did you have?  I'm just curious about how long it takes for middle-fossa surgery.

Thanks,

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm

OTO

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 09:18:11 pm »
Irobie

Surgery was with Drs. Slattery and Schwartz.  Surgery was about 5 hours.   I reported to Pre-Surgery around 6:30 am.   I think I went into the prep room around 7 a.m.     The next day, my Dad told me I was back into the ICU in about 5 hours.    That first day in ICU, was kind of a blur.  I remember waking up, and the drs. were there telling me to smile (checking facial response).   After that I think they let me go back to sleep.   

lrobie

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 08:34:43 am »
Thanks, OTO.

If I'm reading correctly, you had to go back for two follow-up appointments after you were discharged from St. Vincent.  Correct?

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm

LADavid

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 04:55:04 pm »
Hi Lisa
There are a couple of us House posties who live here in LA.  We try to get together with patients who come into town for surgery -- usually on the day of the physical to chat and answer any questions you might have.  We're open as well to giving suggestions on an LA tour -- the things to see and the things to skip.  Please PM me and let me know -- there's enough time that Nancy, Lainie and I can get our schedules together -- and it generally takes that long.  Best wishes.  David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 08:59:16 pm »
Lisa .....

I had only one follow-up post-op ..... on day 8, but it consisted of seeing both Dr. Friedman and Dr. Stefan (the internist).  Dr. Friedman took out the stitches and removed the bandage around the BAHA post and answered all of my questions.  Then I went upstairs to see Dr. Stefan, who went over my medications, restrictions, activities, etc.  Both were done within an hour of each other.

David, Nancy, and Lainie were wonderful hosts in LA.  Take them up on the offer.  It was terrific!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

cindyj

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 12:16:27 pm »
David, Nancy, and Lainie were wonderful hosts in LA.  Take them up on the offer.  It was terrific!!

Clarice

Yes, do take them up on it - you will be glad you did!

Cindy

PS - Hey, again, David :D
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings