Author Topic: interesting article..........  (Read 2406 times)

Obita

interesting article..........
« on: August 11, 2006, 07:41:26 pm »
From the Bells Palsy Network -

Man's best friend sniffs out brain tumor
General news   2006-04-13 15:37 by jack
Steve Werner suspected his health was in trouble even before his golden retriever, Wrigley, started sniffing around.

His symptoms were vague back in June - occasional ringing in his ears, a general feeling of unease. His doctor couldn't pinpoint a problem. Tests came back negative.

Then in July, Wrigley started to behave strangely.

Every day when Werner would curl up next to his beloved canine at his Brentwood home, she would turn, focus on his right ear and sniff doggedly.

"I thought it was just a friendly sniff," Werner said. "But after four or five days, I realized she seemed to be focusing on something. At some point, I noticed she was always sniffing at the opening of my right ear. She would set herself up and intently smell my ear."

One day, Werner was watching TV when a feature about cancer-sniffing dogs grabbed his attention. What he heard propelled him back to his doctor's office.

An MRI of Werner's head revealed a brain tumor the size of a pingpong ball that had spread into the inner canal of Werner's right ear - the very ear Wrigley had been sniffing persistently.

Werner, 40, had a rare nonmalignant tumor called acoustic schwannoma. If not caught in time, it could have caused a stroke or permanent facial paralysis.

He underwent surgery in Los Angeles in February to remove it and has been recuperating at home.

****Denise said her dog sniffs/licks her AN ear and only her AN ear.  I have a golden retriever - she has/had no interest in my AN ear............any AN sniffing birds, cats, dogs out there?  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Sefra22

Re: interesting article..........
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 08:17:33 pm »
I saw a story similar to this one on "Oprah" a few years back. It is fascinating, I wonder what it is these dogs sense... a smell, or a vibration of some sort ???
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: interesting article..........
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 10:02:15 pm »
Interesting story. Thanks for sharing. I've heard of cancer sniffing dogs, but not one related to AN's.   Ewwww, are we all putting out some oddball odor????  Ick.

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode