Author Topic: 4 1/2 months post-op and doing great!  (Read 4310 times)

Kathleen Ann

4 1/2 months post-op and doing great!
« on: June 23, 2012, 06:51:47 pm »
I'm 4 ½ months post op and feeling better than ever! I had a 3.1 AN removed 2/7/12 at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. Dr.’s made me a new person! I had no pain after surgery and was home within 4 ½ days and moving slow but feeling great. All of my pre-surgery symptoms have resolved. I have some minor balance issues but nothing like the vertigo I had before surgery. I had a scalp infection and some hair loss once I got home.  I've got right side facial paralysis. Mouth droops and right eye won’t close without closing the left eye. They are going to fit me for a Scleral contact in July to keep that eye moist.  The right side of my head is still numb and the muscles are still swollen and sore but getting better each day. I have/had the best Dr.’s and the best nursing care I could have ever had.

It is what it is

Re: 4 1/2 months post-op and doing great!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 08:19:29 pm »
It's great to hear you are feeling so positive about everything.  Did it take long to to get your energy back?

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 01:32:44 pm »
Hi, Kathleen Ann ~

Thanks for that affirmative update!  I trust that the issues you're dealing with will be temporary and that your healing will continue apace.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 11:34:57 am »
Great news!   ;D

Congratulations!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Linda1947

• Scheduling Surgery
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 07:15:27 am »
I am having surgery July 30 for a 3 cm AN. I have only minor pre-op symptoms (50% hearing loss in affected ear). I pray that I will feel as good post-op.
Keep up the good spirits. I wish you all the best.
Linda1947
LindaR

It is what it is

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 07:35:58 am »
Hi Linda,

Where are you having surgery? Mine is 8/1 in L.A.  If your doctors are at HEI, I'll see you there. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 05:11:35 am »
Karen
I had Dr. Friedman & Schwartz. Great team!!!! You are in good hands. If I can help you in any way just shoot me a message  ;)

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

It is what it is

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 06:40:21 am »
Thanks Mindy!  Reading your posts and those of others have been very helpful.  How many days after surgery did you need to stay for follow-up?  It sounds like recovery time varies but would it be reasonable to assume I could return to a sit down job a month after surgery?  Was your brain able to think clearly by then?

Huge thanks for all those who have gone before.  :)

Karen

millie

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 06:38:45 pm »
Congratulations on your bravery in combat, Kathleen!  And thanks for sharing that your vertigo is better after surgery-I often think if I could just not have that weird off balance feeling that comes and goes, and the fullness, I could live with the deafness in the left ear.  I hope you feel stronger every day.  Millie

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 09:36:58 pm »
Hey Kathleen! Kudos on your recovery! It sounds like you had some very minor complications and that is great. That plus a good positive attitude surely helped you!  As you no doubt know, eventually the scalp will come back to life and those lumps and whatnot will disappear.  Take care and keep us updated!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston