Author Topic: 5 days post-op,  (Read 3114 times)

Shirley48

5 days post-op,
« on: July 24, 2012, 04:44:55 am »
Doing well--so happy to be back home! Drs think they got it all. Feeling dizzy and disoriented but no pain. Things taste funny and am develOping white patches on tongue and gums. Restless! Hard to focus. All in all, not bad. (retro-sigm) Now allowed to shampoo YEA!
1 cm AN removed July 2012
Retrosigmoid surgery
Vestibular nerve cut
65 years old
Summit, NJ

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 5 days post-op,
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 07:20:40 am »
Hi, Shirley ~

Thanks for the update and congratulations on achieving 'postie' status!  Most of your current issues will likely disappear as you heal.  Funny how something we take for granted - like shampooing - can become so special when we've been deprived of doing it for awhile.  Enjoy! 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 09:28:21 am »
Glad you're back, postie!

Sounds like things are going well.  Congrats!

Not being able to shampoo drove me crazy.  My doc wouldn't let me shampoo for 9 days!  I still remember the day he removed my stitches.  I actually apologized to him because my hair was so gross  :)

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LauraB.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 10:47:23 pm »
Hi Shirley - I, too, developed the spots on my tongue and had an abscess on my tonsils.  They're likely due to being intubated.  Alternate between brushing with baking soda and gargling with peroxide.  That should do the trick.  Good luck on a speedy recovery!
Laura B.

Shirley48

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 07:11:36 am »
Thanks, Laura. I called the doc yesterday and he ordered some thick mouthwash-type medicine which is helping to coat my throat and gums.  I have thrush, and it should clear as the steroids diminish in dosage. Had a great night's sleep!
1 cm AN removed July 2012
Retrosigmoid surgery
Vestibular nerve cut
65 years old
Summit, NJ

millie

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 09:30:52 am »
Great news! 

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 09:37:06 am »
Hey Shirley, welcome to postie land!!  Just keep resting and getting better...the restleness will subside once the steroids are gone.  Keep us update! Take care!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

jenichol

• Fear not, for I Am with you - Isaiah 41:10
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 06:06:38 pm »
Glad to hear that you are home Shirley.  I developed those white spots on my tongue and they gave me awful tasting liquid medicine to take.  I was glad when that cleared up.  It is good to hear that you are doing fairly well.  There is no feeling like being clean and able to sleep in your own bed. :)  Rest and keep us posted as you are able.

Jan
48 yo female --3+cm right sided AN. Retro sig removal 6-22-12 at UVA.  SSD right ear.  HA.  Constant Loud Tinnitus. Fullness. Imbalance.

It is what it is

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 11:26:07 am »
Home sweet home!  Congratulations on getting to the other side.  Any advice to those of us yet to be treated? I hope all continues to go well in your recovery.   :)

karen

.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.