Author Topic: Post-op tinnitus pain and Vicodin  (Read 3613 times)

LizAN

Post-op tinnitus pain and Vicodin
« on: July 15, 2012, 04:16:57 pm »
I'm typing on my phone.

Have not had serious head pain for probably a week or so, but I'm still on Vicodin, albeit at half dose. I can tell when it wears off as the former AN site starts to throb. I wouldn't call it painful but I haven't let it continue to find out what will happen if I just quit taking the meds. The part that really concerns me is when the throbbing starts, my tinnitus gets louder by an order of magnitude.   It ratchets back down when the Vicodon kicks in. Is my brain confusing pain with a sound signal? Is tinnitus a Vicodin withdrawal effect?  I will call Dr Stefan if needed but I am wondering whether anyone has had a similar experience. I'm 12 days post-op.

Would write more but my computer isn't set up since we got home late last night. Going to rest my eyes now and hope for enlightenment.

Thanks,
Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

Mark H

Re: Post-op tinnitus pain and Vicodin
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 10:54:48 pm »
I take vicodin pretty much every working day. NF(2) symptoms give me plenty of pain and it helps me get through the work day. Anywhere between 1/2 a pill to 3 on the real bad days. I really don't notice any difference in the tinnitus noise with or without the pills. The noisier the environment I'm in the louder my ears get though. Even in the quiet it sometimes (not too often) keeps me awake.
Mark

millie

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 06:01:28 am »
I have not had treatment yet, but I notice  the sounds in my head get louder as stress levels increase.  Loud voices (disagreements) can do that to me too.

It is what it is

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 12:09:32 pm »
Thanks for continuing to post your post-op symptoms.  I hope they continue to improve. 

karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.