Author Topic: 4 weeks post-op and feeling dismayed  (Read 3397 times)

LauraB.

4 weeks post-op and feeling dismayed
« on: July 22, 2012, 10:54:39 am »
So I had a 2cm AN removed on 6/28 using a trans lab approach and by all regards have been making great strides - I've had virtually no facial issues, my balance is really good, and I'm back to driving.  What I'm experiencing most now and am frustrated by is the constant sense of fullness in the affected ear (presumeably due to the fat that they put in the canal) as well as sounds resonating on that side of my head.  When I bite down I can hear the echo from my teeth coming together.  When I walk on concrete every step I take resonates on the right side of my head.  Even my own voice echos through my head.  Has anyone else had this experience and will it get better or go away???  I'm trying to just be grateful for the relative ease of my recovery, especially when I read other's posts who have had it so much worse than myself.  I hate to sound like a complainer!

Linda1947

• Scheduling Surgery
Re: 4 weeks post-op and feeling dismayed
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 03:01:45 pm »
Congratulations on your speedy recovery! I am having translab on July 30 for a 3 cm deep=seated AN. I only hope I am as good as you!
LindaR

LauraB.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 05:15:47 pm »
Linda, I'll keep you in my prayers!  My suggestion is once you're out of the hospital push yourself to do a little bit more each day, do all the exercises the PT recommends, allow for ample rest, and stay well hydrated!  Good luck!
LauraB.

It is what it is

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 12:08:52 am »
My thoughts and prayers are for your surgery Linda and for your continued recovery Laura.  I'm following close behind. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

LauraB.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 10:00:49 am »
So no one else has had these same experiences/symptoms???

millie

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 07:25:22 pm »
For what it's worth, I have the fullness and balance issues, especially in the last four months  (Since FEb it has grown from 1.1 cm to 1.4cm)but I have been watching and waiting. Today, a  doctor  from House  in California called to advise me on the MRI's I sent out there-he said translabyrinthe is the way to go because my hearing has really declined in the last year and surgery may offer more balance and less fullness.
Be strong, Laura...prayers for us all...Miliie

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 09:31:58 am »
I don't think the fullness has to do with fat in the head.

I had a fat graft and didn't have fullness post op (I had fullness pre-op before my tumor was removed).

Hopefully this problem will resolve itself in time.  4 weeks post op is still early.

Hang in there!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

PaulW

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 12:29:55 am »
Look on the bright side Laura ... You can still hear!

The fullness in the ear is caused by a branch of the facial nerve, so looks like your facial nerve is a bit grumpy after the operation... I believe this does improve in time. Many a facial nerve has taken many months or even years to get back to its full potential.

Likewise the annoying sounds and distortion also improve with time,

So hang in there, it might take a few months but slowly things do improve.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!