Author Topic: surgery is over -- i'm home  (Read 4692 times)

superrmaren

surgery is over -- i'm home
« on: August 26, 2006, 08:53:31 pm »
i'm home after 18 days in the hospital.
my doctor removed a 4.5 cm AN from my right side.  the surgery was 11 hours long.  i was at johns hopkins with drs tamargo and minor. 
the doctors said i shouldn't worry myself and look on the internet alot, so i wasn't.  like a good patient i followed their orders, but i wish i had stayed on here and talked to you all.  it has been harder than anything in my whole life and continues to be so. 
i got a platinum weight put in my eye on the 18th day in the hospital, now at the close of the 19th day i can't even open it, it's pretty badly swollen and eye goop  is sort of a problem too.  i still have the saran wrap eye  patch on.  i can't walk by myself, i can't use my right side very well because it's still pretty uncoordinated, it's very hard.  it's just very hard.
my mom is very helpful, and my boyfriend too. 
words of wisdom?
xox
maren
"the good old days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems"

4.5cm tumor resected at Johns Hopkins in 2006.  Drs. Tamargo and Minor
numerous facial plastic surgeries
12-7 nerve graft 2008
platinum eye weight removed 2009
deaf right - BAHA
residual balance issues
severe dry

Jeanlea

Re: surgery is over -- i'm home
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 09:17:59 pm »
Hi Maren,

Glad to hear that you are home.  I had been wondering how you were doing.  Your story sounds similar to mine.  My surgery was 13 hours long.  I had a gold weight put in my eye on the 8th day in the hospital.  They made me keep ice on it every 30 minutes.  That helps a lot with the swelling.  The eye goop was also a big problem in the beginning.  I felt like I was half blind.  I got a clear plastic patch that I had saran wrap overwith tape on every night.  Do you have any feeling in your eye?  You can probably start with a gel during the day.  I experimented with several types.  I like the Liguigel the best.  It's still a little blurry but better than ointment.  Ointment it at night.  It should open soon as the swelling goes down.
I also had some problems with movement on my left (AN) side.  It sort of felt like I had a stroke.  Keep using it and it will get better.  Do you have a walker or cane?  I got a cane before I left the hospital.  It helped me feel more secure when walking.  Not that I did it by myself.  I always had someone with me in the beginning.  I had a belt from rehab.  The kind they put on you so they can hold you if you fall.  My husband put that on me and took me for walks.  lol  That didn't last too long. 

It's good that you have your mom and boyfriend there to help you.  I know I appreciated having my mom around in the beginning too.  It's only going to get better from here on out.  Won't be long and this time will only be a distant memory.  Just keep on doing the physical stuff.  Are you going to physical therapy?  They usually give you some good exercises to do.  Keep moving, slowly at first and build up to doing more each day.  Push yourself as much as possible while taking time to rest.  It's an interesting balance to try and keep. 

It really does get better.  I'm nearly one year post-op now and feeling so much better.  Went back to work after 2 months, back to walking 3 miles a day.  Got there one step at a time.

Sending you good wishes.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

shoegirl

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 09:36:52 pm »
Maren,

Just wanted to wish you well and lots of success in your recovery!  Take it one day at a time and be good to yourself.  :)
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 09:59:42 pm »
You're in my prayers Maren!

jacobs

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 10:33:17 pm »

Maren,I'm so glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery.I was wondering when we would hear from you.Things will most definitely get better!!!!Remember to listen to your body and rest as much as you feel the need to.Your body needs time to recover.Let other people do things for you for awhile.You just had brain surgery!
 I am 4 months post op and am feeling pretty close to my old self again.Being back at work and old routines (as well as running around after my 6yr old) has given me alot more energy.
 Week by week you will see big changes and as Jean said this time will be a distant memory before you know it.I already feel like a lifetime has gone by since my surgery.
 Take care,Tracey

Translab April 24,2006 3.5x2.5cm
Sunnybrook Hospital,Toronto.Dr.Chen&Dr.Perusmen
Left side facial paralysis,gold weight in eyelid &"deaf on the left"
now I'm a true canadian...EH?

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 02:24:26 am »
Maren,
  I so remember saying those exact words "it's just hard".  It does get better just very slowly so don't give up!
Like Jean said you need to push yourself a little further each day but when you feel tired take naps!  You're body needs the rest to heal so don't feel guilty indulge while you can!  Wonder why you're doctor told you to stay off the internet?  No, I agree, stress and worry are a bad thing right now.  I know for me it made things harder to cope with.  However, we are not here to stress you out just encourage and love you!  For me being patient was the hardest, I wanted to be healed like yesterday!  Unf. it doesn't happen like that.  Know we're here behind you rooting for a speedy recovery!!

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 07:50:03 am »
Maren: I remember being where you are very clearly and it will get better, just take your time and push yourself only a little, if you so too much one day you'll feel worse the next. My sergeon told me this "this tumor did not grow over night and you won't recover over night", remember you had BRAIN surgery!
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

pattibobatti

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 08:49:51 am »
Good morning Marin,

Aren't you glad to be home?!!!!  This is such a big deal in your life with sooo much going on.  Your body NEEDS SLEEP  to recover.  I hope you find it easy to over indulge yourself.

Everything that you have written about I have experienced and so have many others.  There will be lots of help for you on this forum.  We are so lucky to have it.

Please ask me anything you might want to know...I really have been there!!

Have a wonderful Sunday
Pattibobatti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 09:20:58 am »
YAY Maren! The hard part's over! Glad you are back in your own bed. Now Rest, rest, rest. Captain's orders.We are all thinkin' 'bout ya and sending healing thoughts and wishes  your way. Keep us posted.
Hugs,
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 10:26:50 am »
Prayers, Good thoughts, wishes,and  hugs going out your way as you embark on the jopurney of recovery. Right now, SLEEP SLEEP SLEEP and lots of TLC. let anyone and everyone who offers help, to help out.
. GO SLOW!!! is the best advise I can give you. I have never been  a very patient person, but the AN has taught me differently. It all comes slowly. So try not to get frustrated if you find the recovery process is not happening as fast as you would like. One of the hardest things for me is that the Doc's gave me what I think was the best case scenerio rather than the average, or what you possible could expect scenerio. Therefore at 4-6 weeks (like he said)I was frustrated that I was not out driving myself around and back to work. The main thing to remember is that we all heal differently, and what went on inside your head was different for all of us. which nerves werer effected, etc. SO although this forum is a great place for info and support, your recovery will be unique to you. 
were all with you and pulling for you.  You know that cell phone commercial, I think it's for cingular where the whole network is following the customer around for support??? Well, when you lay down to rest and drift off to sleep, imagine the whole ANA forum is right there with you.

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

chrissmom

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 11:32:11 am »
Congratulations Maren ! 

You're home.  That is so great.  Welcome to the recovery phase.

Chris is recovering too. He had a gold weight implanted and his eye was swollen for about a week.  It gets better every day and you can't even tell today.  Both of his eyes look the same and no one knows.  He had to have goop put on the incision everyday and the little stitches eventually were absorbed.

He is walking unassisted today and networking with his friends already and he hasn't even been home for two weeks ! So hang in there, you'll be doing the same thing.  Best wishes to you.

Obita

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 01:07:16 pm »
Marren:

You are home and surgery is over.  That is the important part. 

The recovery does suck.  Humans are naturally impatient so it makes it all the harder.

Just keep looking back where you were a few weeks ago and your spirits will be lifted by how far you have come!!

One day at a time (actually, one min. at a time seems more acurate for AN recovery).  Hang in there.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

nannettesea

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 09:52:47 pm »
Maren,
We are all holding you in our thoughts.  You've been through a major trauma and body will take time...believe us all.  As CD said, rest, rest, rest.  I wish I'd been on the Forum prior to surgery too, would have taken a different route.  You didn't have a choice.  Rest, cry, talk to friends, family, get lots of hugs--and we'll send you cyberhugs.  Keep writing, we're here.
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05