Author Topic: Morning Stabilization  (Read 2328 times)

Palace

• Palace
Morning Stabilization
« on: October 14, 2012, 10:07:33 am »
Question:

I've spoken with two other post-operation Acoustic Neuroma patients about morning stabilization.  (or afternoon rising if you work nights)  It takes all three of us over an hour in the morning/afternoon to get used to noises and adjust to sounds "all over again each day."  Some of us are short-tempered if we don't get "quiet time" before facing the day/night.  Do you feel this is AN-related?  The three of us, do!  All three of us are registered on this forum.

Thank-you for the input,

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
Re: Morning Stabilization
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 07:02:13 am »
Good Morning AN People:

We have the first rain of the season today and my tinnitus is very loud from the drastic barometric pressure change.  I'm having an extra cup of coffee, not that it will help.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 07:07:10 am by Palace »
single sided deafness

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 07:32:39 am »
I, as well, am very unstable when I first stand up after sleeping, but I am also more unstable when standing up after sitting too long ..... not sure what that means, but I definitely think it is all post-AN surgery related.

Watch the coffee when your tinnitus is roaring ..... caffeine can actually make tinnitus worse in most people.  I still have my cup of coffee in the morning, though.   ::)

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 09:16:38 am »
Here is an interesting article/study:

The stats change with technology, "so it seems." 

I paint and sell my artwork.  My creative thinking is my only distraction with the "morning stabilization process."

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Imaging Finds Visual Creativity Uses Both Right, Left Brain
By Rick Nauert PhD Senior News Editor
Reviewed by John M. Grohol, Psy.D. on March 6, 2012

Imaging Finds Visual Creativity Uses Both Right, Left BrainThe common belief that the right hemisphere of the brain is the source of creativity while the left brain is responsible for logic and math may well be less true than once thought.

In a quest to determine the exact source of creativity in the brain, researchers have found that the left hemisphere of your brain is critical for creative thinking. The finding adds an asterisk to the belief that if you paint or sculpt, you are right-brained.

Researchers discovered that while the right half of the brain performs the bulk of the creative process, the left half makes important contributions.

The study, posted online in Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, focuses on how the brain tackles visual creative tasks. The findings support previous discoveries about how the brain handles musical improvisation.

“We need both hemispheres for creative processing,” said co-author Lisa Aziz-Zadeh, Ph.D., of the University of Southern California.

Aziz-Zadeh and her team used functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to scan the brains of architecture students, who tend to be visually creative.

While being scanned, the subjects were shown three shapes: a circle, a C, and an 8. They were then asked to visualize images that could be made by rearranging those shapes – for example, a face (with the 8 on its side to become the eyes, the C on its side to become the smiling mouth, and the circle in the center as the nose).

They were also asked to simply try to piece three geometric shapes together with their minds and see if they formed a square or a rectangle – a task that requires similar spatial processing, but not necessarily creativity.

Researchers discovered that although the creative task was mainly handled by the right brain, the left brain hemisphere was actually activated more than the right. These results indicate that the left brain may well be a crucial supporter of creativity in the brain.

Aziz-Zadeh said she plans to explore more of how different types of creativity (painting, acting, singing) are created by the brain – what they have in common, and what makes them different.
single sided deafness

It is what it is

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 07:54:24 pm »
Thanks for posting the article.  I enjoyed reading it. 

karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.