Author Topic: 2 weeks and med & staple free!  (Read 2105 times)

chance1212

2 weeks and med & staple free!
« on: November 28, 2012, 09:04:03 pm »
One of my post-op surprises has been the amount of meds prescribed. My personal experience is that they often cause me more harm than good. In the hospital,  I was given insulin and keppra (which I just found out today that it is the reason for the bruised abdomen I have), an antibiotic for a "possible" problem with the fat graft; an oral rinse for the thrush caused from the amoxicillian, acetazolamide for seizure/diuretic, steroids of course, Pepcid for the ulcer that the steroids may cause; and pain meds--that took havoc on my internal system. But, The good thing was that everytime I asked about reducing or cancelling a medicine, the doctors listened to the whats and whys of my situation (doing above average post-op probably helps with my requests). I managed to escape at least 2 rounds of insulin at the hospital; they ended the amoxicillin early; I stopped the Pepcid and they didn't have a cow; I also was only give 14 days of steroids--they had said it could be 30; and then yesterday (2 weeks early!) the acetazolamide was stopped after I thought it was the culprit for tingling in my hands although they did order a lab to check electrolytes just in case. So yay! 2 weeks post-op and NO meds. Now to get on with some real healing. I also want to encourage those others post-op to ask because everybody knows his/her body best.
6mm 08/11;   lost hearing by 10/11 & tinnitus;  growth shown 02/12;  more growth-now 1.2 cm 08/12;  Translab @ Vanderbilt Haynes/Thompson  11/13/12
J. Hildebrandt

It is what it is

Re: 2 weeks and med & staple free!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 05:36:29 pm »
It sounds like you are doing well.  Congrats!

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

chance1212

Re: 2 weeks and med & staple free!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 07:11:09 pm »
Thanks. Apparently I am doing well. Never been through anything like this so only have what drs say to go on. I do get tired if I do too much of course.
6mm 08/11;   lost hearing by 10/11 & tinnitus;  growth shown 02/12;  more growth-now 1.2 cm 08/12;  Translab @ Vanderbilt Haynes/Thompson  11/13/12
J. Hildebrandt