Author Topic: Scuba Diving with a small AN  (Read 7927 times)

henry

Scuba Diving with a small AN
« on: August 02, 2012, 10:14:38 am »
My name is Henry.  I am in watch and wait mode 1 year into a 8mm tumor.
Can you still Scuba Dive with an A.N.?
I don't go very often but was just wondering if anyone had experience with this?
Thanks
Henry
Newly Diagnosed, Left side, 7.5mm AP diameter, 8.8mm transverse diameter, 5.9mm craniocaudally diameter.
Misdiagnosed for 2 years.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Scuba Diving with a small AN
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 12:29:39 pm »
Hi, Henry ~

I haven't had any experience with scuba diving - with or without an acoustic neuroma.  However, a quick search of past threads on the subject indicated a mixed bag of responses from doctors.  Some told their AN patient it was no problem, others said the opposite.  I suggest that you ask your doctor and follow his/her advice on this issue. Please let us know the answer.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 12:36:05 pm »
Henry
Also going along with what Jim just wrote, I remember someone posting that they were going to go scuba diving until they read and had to sign the release form, believe that's what it was, which asked or stated about a brain tumor.  I can't remember which thread it was in but I do remember this subject coming up before.
Let us know what you find out.
Karen

Here's what I was referring to.  Not smart enough to figure out how to just copy in the link.
I tried to go Scuba diving a month ago, but the health declaration that you need to sign would stop you unless you have a medical certificate.
ie do you have a brain tumour, or balance problems.
You will need to get a clearance from a doctor before you can go.
If you have clearance its all good.
No reason I can think of as to why you cannot Scuba Dive with an AN

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 12:42:16 pm by chloes mema »
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

davecz

• Magic Scarf Ride
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 06:35:37 am »
Henry

First off, I never had any issues while diving unknowingly with an AN, which I'm told I had for several years. When I was diagnosed with an AN, it was 3cm at the time. I was diving a few days prior to that diagnosis. I went on a trip shortly after and did some free diving without any problems. I guess the question I have for you is what concerns do you have about diving with an AN while on a watch and wait status. If your primary concern is about balance issues then I could see your worry. In that case, I feel it would entirely depend on the individual and whether or not they are having balance issues from the AN. As a diver, you are aware of vertigo issues while diving in cold water, diving with a cold, etc. I'm assuming you would take the same precautions then while diving with an AN. Balance issues and diving don't make for a safe dive, so that would be the limiting factor for anyone diving, in my opinion.

I dove for the first time 4.5 months after my trans lab surgery and had no issues. So there is life after AN removal. I was free diving that weekend to depths of 25 feet and didn't have any vertigo issues, no problems equalizing or pressure build up. I felt great the entire weekend. I wouldn't let the AN diagnosis hold you back from anything as long as you aren't having symptoms that would
preclude you from being safe.

If your aren't having symptoms, enjoy life to its fullest! If you are having symptoms, be safe and enjoy life to its fullest.

Davecz

Davecz
Diagnosed 11/23/2011, R-AN, 3.0cm, Age: 51, very
athletic, symptoms; Sudden hearing loss R Ear, balance
 issues, fatigue, tinnitus. Surgery HEI, 04/27/2012, Dr.
Friedman & Swartz. Post op, translab, 100% tumor removal,
Facial nerve intact, no balance issues, released 3 days post op,
Doing grea

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 02:56:32 pm »
This is a doctor question and the majority of us aren't doctors.

If it were me, I'd ask my doctor.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

BeckyMax

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 07:09:00 pm »
Yes, check with your doc.  I dove 1 month after being diagnosed with a 5x7mm AN.  3 docs gave me the go ahead.  My fear was that diving itself can cause hearing problems if you don't equalize properly and I did not want to lose hearing in my good ear.  It has been my lifelong dream to dive so I took the risk.  I can now say that I did it (discover scuba, 30 foot dive).  Haven't decided if I will go again or not, but I am leaning towards yes.

Becky
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

It is what it is

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 06:23:59 pm »
It is exciting to hear about your scuba diving so soon after surgery. You must be a courageous person. I'd love to try it.

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

sterry

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 11:00:01 am »
Actually, Dr. Schwartz told me that scuba diving was  on the list to not do.
Susie
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well

It is what it is

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 01:23:41 pm »
Is there a list of things we never should do?  I didn't receive that information but would really really appreciate knowing what they are.  We had the same doctors and I respect their opinions.  Thanks.

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

davecz

• Magic Scarf Ride
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 12:37:50 am »
Susie, I'm curious as to what specifically Dr Schwartz said about SCUBA diving and it being on a "not to do list". Not to do when? Pre op? Post op? Ever again? Based on what criteria? I'm assuming each individual case would play a big factor in determining who should dive and when. I spoke to Dr Schwartz (HEI) during my visit and asked him about diving again after my recovery. He didn't mention anything about not diving once I recovered. Just curious about your comment.

Dave
Diagnosed 11/23/2011, R-AN, 3.0cm, Age: 51, very
athletic, symptoms; Sudden hearing loss R Ear, balance
 issues, fatigue, tinnitus. Surgery HEI, 04/27/2012, Dr.
Friedman & Swartz. Post op, translab, 100% tumor removal,
Facial nerve intact, no balance issues, released 3 days post op,
Doing grea

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 10:48:06 am »
This is not related to doing / not doing diving but found it interesting.

Went for a massage Tuesday, mentioned that I was having hemifacial spasms so we needed to be aware of this fact and that I didn't know how my body would react to the massage.  Long story shorter, I told the therapist that the spasms were caused by a brain tumor.  She instantly disappeared for a while, when she returned she drilled me about "if I had been pre-approved and released to have a massage".  I found that very interesting.  After thinking about I could understand where the salon and the therapist were coming from.

Back to this thread, I was never told of anything not to do after CK.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back