Author Topic: eye drops for contacts/laser eye surgery  (Read 3193 times)

britbert

eye drops for contacts/laser eye surgery
« on: August 03, 2006, 07:33:50 pm »
I love reading everyones posts.  I never recognized that some of the things bothering me are symptoms from my AN (reverse brain, poor balance years before they discovered my tumor, etc).  I have been reading about dry eyes (I have been trying to ignore my dry eye problem hoping that it would get better, but it's not ;)).  I wear contacts.  Do the drops everyone is recommending work with contacts?  And has anyone gotten laser eye surgery after AN surgery?  I thought laser eye surgery might help with my dry eye because my contact in my left eye (AN side) dries up hours before I am ready to take it out. My eye doctor said that I could get my eyes lasered if I wanted too.  He didn't see any problems.

Any help would be appreciated.

Brittany
AN Surgery (left) @ age 28; 1.21.2004
Dr. Shelton & Dr. MacDonald
University of Utah Hospital

Rex

Re: eye drops for contacts/laser eye surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 03:04:13 pm »
My AN surgery (translab) was performed exactly 2 years ago today.  I have a very mild case of dry eye so wearing contacts didn't bother my eyes too much.  All of the dry eye drops I saw were not recommended for use with contacts.  When my contacts bothered me i would just use saline or contact lens reqetting drops.

One of the potential side effects of laser eye surgery is dry eye so it could actually make your dry eye worse.  I was concerned about this, but my eye doctor told me that I didn't have a bad case of dry eye so it would not be a problem.    I had lasik surgery 3 mos ago and am happy with the results. 

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 07:39:52 pm »
I just had my contacts changed from bioflex to accuves which have helped a lot.  I'm able to wear the new contacts longer without the dry eye problem.  They also gave me some systane eye drops to put in right before I put my contact in.  Now my biggest problem is not being able to see without bifocals  LOL 

luv2teachsped

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 08:35:59 pm »
Hello- reguarding contacts/laser surgery.  It all depends on how dry your eye actually is.  If your eye Dr. doesn't think it would be a problem...go for it.  My eye was very dry and irritated, as well as I kept getting infections with my contacts.  My Dr. said that excessive dryness along with wearing my contacts could result in a ulcerated cornea, which is very painful.  I've tried plugs, restasis..you name it. Guess I'm stuck wearing my glasses again.  Good Luck-luv2teach
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Kilroy1976

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 10:04:35 pm »
Definitely a question for an eye doctor. Personally, I've found that the best drops for my contacts are the drops made specifically for contacts, or just simple saline solution. Those seem to both hydrate the eyes and lenses and rinse off some of the crud that forms.
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida