Author Topic: Post Gamma Knife  (Read 2585 times)

Islandgirl

Post Gamma Knife
« on: January 14, 2013, 07:35:45 am »
I had my gamma knife treatment here in the UK on 8th January.  Apart from all the usual expected things this first week such as very sore pinholes, numbness, headache and dreadful woolly headed feeling I haven’t so far had any nastier side effects.  The tinnitus is worse than ever though and I’m praying it will subside in time.  I was given a 3 day steroid pack to take during treatment and so far also I have no discernible change to hearing.  I know it’s very early days but I’m grateful I’m out the other side at least.  My experience of the Gamma Knife centre in Sheffield UK was great and I was well looked after there.  I’ve done very little since getting back home other than sleep and sleep very well so that’s good.  For me now it’s hopefully going to be a simple case of onwards and upwards but I’m well aware that may not be the case so I’m grateful to have this forum to be able to ask as and if the need arises.  I’ll be popping in here to report my progress from time to time.   

I do have one question.  I was told my AN was 10mm x 10mm x 7mm and 18mm where it extended into the IAC.  I also read on the information I was shown that the volume was 537 I think cubic mms.  Can anyone tell me would that be right or did I read it wrongly ?.  I can’t for the life of me get 537 out of those figures.  I know it doesn’t really matter now because I hope it’s receding rapidly but if anyone has any mathematical ability with regard to AN calculations I’d be pleased to know as I’m very curious.

Thanks again for a very useful forum.
Christine.
PS.  Sorry if this appears twice I tried posting before now and it didn't come through so I must have done something wrong. 

mk

Re: Post Gamma Knife
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:46:28 pm »
I do have one question.  I was told my AN was 10mm x 10mm x 7mm and 18mm where it extended into the IAC.  I also read on the information I was shown that the volume was 537 I think cubic mms.  Can anyone tell me would that be right or did I read it wrongly ?.  I can’t for the life of me get 537 out of those figures.  I know it doesn’t really matter now because I hope it’s receding rapidly but if anyone has any mathematical ability with regard to AN calculations I’d be pleased to know as I’m very curious.   

The common way to do these calculations is by approximating the AN as an ellipsoid and using the formula volume=pi*dimension1*dimension2*dimension3/6. However you are right that the numbers that you quote above do not give the same result. A possible reason is that nowadays very sophisticated image analysis programs are used, which can evaluate the volume very accurately, by taking many measurements (i.e. instead of just the 3 dimensions commonly quoted). Also, obviously the total volume measurement quoted takes into account the volume of the portion (tail) going inside the IAC.
To put things into perspective, a difference between 537 cubic mms mentioned in your report and 367 cubic mms calculated from the formula I mentioned above seems big. But in terms of cubic cms, which are the usual unit of measurement, the difference is 0.537 versus 0.367, which when rounded would be 0.5 and 0.4, i.e. not a huge difference. For an AN as small as yours, the portion inside the IAC would account for the difference.

I hope that your treatment will be successful and that your AN will remain stable or, even better, shrink.
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Islandgirl

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 10:45:25 am »
That's great Marianna it makes sense as you say that with today's high tech they can come up with an accurate volume figure by adding the various parts of the AN together including the tail.  Excellent thanks for that.   
Christine 

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 02:18:35 pm »
When they do the treatment planning they create a 3D model of your AN. Its a complex shape.
The 537 mm3 comes directly from the treatment planning software, so we will never get it right from the simple measurements.

Your AN is pretty small a Sugar Cube is 1000mm3

Portion outside the IAC  approximately pi x 10 x 10 x 7/6 = 366mm3

Assume tail is 11 x 5 x 5... however the 5mm closest to the cochlear is probably half sphere shaped and the remaining 6mm is a cylinder

Volume of half sphere pi x 5 x 5 x 5 /6 /2 = 32mm3
Volume of a Cylinder  pi x 5 x 5 x 6 / 4  = 118mm3
Volume of your tail = 32 +118 = 150mm3

Plus volume of the non tail 10x 10 x 7 part

150mm3 + 366mm3 = 516mm3

Thats close enough to 537mm3

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Islandgirl

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 04:20:45 pm »
Thanks for your calculations re the size of my AN.  The figures make a lot more sense now and certainly puts it into perspective.  I just hope it dissolves just like that sugar cube.  I can't believe how a small AN like mine can cause so much loud hissing tinnitus which is my worst nightmare in all this.  I have some hearing loss but I'm praying it stabilises now and the GK won't worsen it.   It seems some of the smaller AN's cause more symptoms than the large ones although to be fair I don't have any serious balance issues, not yet anyway.