Author Topic: Buzzing and ringing??  (Read 3320 times)

ewchisek

Buzzing and ringing??
« on: January 08, 2013, 07:07:59 am »
Hello everyone! My AN is on the left side and this is where in have noticed the buzzing, but lately i feel like its in both ears! Is it just getting louder? How can I tell? I feel like I'm losing my mind! If anyone could share some info or advice I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Elizabeth

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Buzzing and ringing??
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 08:06:08 am »
Hi Elizabeth .....

First of all, no, you are not losing your mind!   ;)

I never had tinnitus until after my first surgery.  Almost immediately afterward it was clanging triangles perceived as coming from my left, AN side ..... this has not changed, but buzzing and ringing have been added and subtracted over the years.  Somewhere within the first couple of years, I began to notice ringing being perceived from my excellent (in all frequency ranges) hearing, right side.

I have a theory ..... never looked to see if it might be valid ..... since tinnitus is a brain perception thing and not really a "hearing" thing.  I am wondering if the brain is trying so hard to maintain "normal" hearing from both ears, that it overcompensates and some of us eventually perceive the noise in both ears.

Maybe in my next life, I will become an audiology researcher and fine out!   ::)

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Chances3

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 12:41:27 pm »
Hi Elizabeth,

I'm sorry to hear another person post about the sounds in the head.  Many of us suffer from ringing, or some other descriptive noise.  Unfortunately, I find it rather debilitating and it reduces the quality of life.  From what I have read, the deprivation of sound or certain pitches forces the brain to fabricate the sound as a form of compensation.  If you Google search cures for Tinnitus you will find tons and tons of over the counter products, some of them are quite expensive.  I have posted here in the past about an over the counter product, most replies have said " Don't waste your money".  However, if anyone has had any success or even some progress, please let us suffers know.  I spoke with my doctor on this subject, he has told me the same thing, nothing over the counter will help.  He has limited success with a therapy called neuromic, but it is very very expensive, and I am not sure if insurance covers it.

Have a look at the ATA website for more info.  Good luck.

Vincent87

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 06:53:11 pm »
Mom's 7 years out from GK.  Within 3 months she acquired SSD (for starters).  She's got a MRI coming up on Thursday for sudden hearing loss in her good ear.  And get this, no more buzzing and ringing...but music!  It's called MES, Musical Ear Syndrome and she's being blasted all day long with show tunes and Christmas carols.  She actually prefers the music as opposed to the buzz but then she has always been a fan of MGM musicals.  Sorry to hear that you're not only dealing with an AN but also questioning your sanity.  You're not losing your mind...and neither is my mom.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 09:12:40 pm »
Oliver Sach's has written a fascinating book, called "Musicophilia" on this very topic.  Worth a read.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

It is what it is

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 09:41:40 pm »
Very interesting Clarice and Vincent87!  Therapy can help teach ways to better cope with tinnitus, especially if it interferes with the quality of our lives.  I've befriended mine instead of fighting it, since hating on it seemed to make things worse. 
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.