Author Topic: Explanation of ear fullness.  (Read 3793 times)

Marion123

Explanation of ear fullness.
« on: January 11, 2013, 07:42:15 pm »
I know the words "ear fullness" should be self- explanatory, having said that I`m not sure if that is the sensation I have.  The sensation I get from left ear is a hollow/echo sensation...is that what "ear fullness" feels like? 

Thank you in advance, this is a great site.

BeckyMax

Re: Explanation of ear fullness.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 09:42:12 pm »
For me, the fullness feels like I have something in my ear.  Actually, for a while I would often try to clean it out with my finger.  I also describe it as the sensation you get when you swim too deep in a pool without popping your ears on the way down.  Not pain, but pressure.

Becky
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

Shirley48

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 10:53:04 pm »
Yes, I think the term "ear fullness" can also refer to a feeling of head-fullness, almost like when your ear needs to pop before your head explodes. Not pleasant but you kind of get used to it.
1 cm AN removed July 2012
Retrosigmoid surgery
Vestibular nerve cut
65 years old
Summit, NJ

nftwoed

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 04:28:45 pm »
Hello;

Seems like when there is unequal pressure in the middle ear vs. outside air ( barotrauma ). It's possible the Eustachian tube is blocked.
   One should ask an ENT, but it is reasonably common to Rx steroid nasal sprays and decongestants if drinking water or val-salvaing doesn't clear the ET and relieve the sense of aural fullness.
   The particular feeling is pressure ( air or water ) from the middle ear against the ear drum. During an audiogram, it would be evidenced by an adverse tympanogram and added low frequency loss.
   Best wishes with this, Marion.