Author Topic: Two Weeks Post Op Report  (Read 3457 times)

claudemckernan

Two Weeks Post Op Report
« on: March 26, 2014, 02:20:14 pm »
I wanted to put this out there in the hopes it will ease a little anxiety for someone yet to undergo treatment for AN.  I know full well that my recovery could have easily gone the other way and I might not have had such a good report to give.  I know there are others who did everything right, and wound up with complications regardless.  For them I am reluctant to report on my success, as they deserved a good outcome just as anyone with the bad luck to get a AN does.  I know that the science and treatment are only getting better and I owe much of my good result to those who have gone before me.  God bless them.

I was diagnosed with 2.4 cm around the 1st of Nov 2013.  In the following four months I researched and visited various Neurosurgeons and made the choice to go with surgery.  I had already lost 90% of the hearing in my right ear so preserving the remainder was not a real consideration as compared with just taking the safest approach.  I left that in the Dr's hands as they are the experts.  Still not 100% sure which approach I got, they did sever the hearing nerve, but it was the safest in all other regards so that's what we went with.

I'm not going to pretend the surgery was any fun, or the night in the ICU.  The four days following in the step-down unit was about as good as could be expected.  The Neuroscience Unit at Duke Raleigh was first rate in every regard.  Nursing staff outstanding.  I went into surgery on a Tuesday at 6 AM and was on my way home on Sunday afternoon.  The second night home I had a serious headache that I had to go to the local ER for.  They did a CT scan of my brain to rule out a bleed or anything specific.  All looked good so they put IV drugs in me and it went away.  Since that next day, every day has been better than the prior day.  Yesterday was the two week mark and I was actually able to go in to work for a few hours.  Taking it real easy, but I'm back at it.

Recovery of my sense of balance came fast.  Walk, Walk, Walk.  That worked for me.  My wife is a RN and was there for me every step of the way.  She has been a godsend and deserves a lot of the credit for my recovery.  There is still a slight blurriness in my right eye, but it improves daily.  Still a little dizziness but not too bad.  The pain only lessens with each day.  It's not so bad that I have to take anything for it.  More of a discomfort at this point.  All in all, the nights were the worst part.  Just couldn't find a comfortable position, until yesterday.  I finally got some sound sleep and woke up refreshed!

So here I am today, 15 days post op, and again I got in a few hours at the office today.   The best advice I got going into this was to go with a Dr that has lots of current experience and has a low complications rate.  To that end, I was lucky enough to discover Dr. Fukushima and Dr. Cunningham both working out of Duke Raleigh Hospital.  Huge experience, and huge success rates.  Both extremely confident, competent, and comforting.  Dr Fukushima - 1,800 + or -  and Dr Cunningham 500 + or -, both with great success rates.  Both also really nice guys.

The best advice I can give; do all you can between your diagnosis and your treatment to get yourself as healthy as you can be.  Eat well, get exercise, don't smoke or drink.  Stack the deck in your favor going into it.  Your odds for a good outcome are certainly improved.  Everyone's level of health and fitness is different, so do what is right for you, keeping in mind that you're going to want every advantage on your side.

One plus to all this is that my tinnitus is about half of what it was before surgery.  I have a follow-up appointment at the one month point where I hope I will get a clean bill of health.  They installed the post for my BAHA 4 during the surgery so at least I won't have to worry about that.  I am anxious to get the processor fitted in three months.  Maybe then I can understand what they are saying on TV.

Here's hoping and praying for your good outcome,

C. McKernan

iz2014

Re: Two Weeks Post Op Report
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 06:24:13 pm »
Wow, that's really great for you and very encouraging for the rest of us. I have my first hospital appointment tomorrow and I'm soooo scared. I don't know much yet about what options I have and I'm extremely concerned at how severe things can get. So reading a positive story like yours right now before I go to sleep has really helped. Thanks :-)

claudemckernan

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 07:07:32 am »
Had my one month follow-up appointment yesterday at Duke.  All in all, good news.  I was worried about a list of things that I brought up with Dr. Cunningham and he set me at ease about them.  I noticed from the day I was discharged from the hospital that everything tasted salty.  I was worried that it was a CSF leak from research I did online.  Well it turns out it is a nerve issue.  Only salty on the right side of my tongue.  If I move that salty tasting saliva to the left side it's not salty, so I kind of figured it wasn't CSF, which would taste salty wherever it was in my mouth.  That was a relief and I am told it will go away in time.  Still just a little dizzy, and experiencing very minor facial paralysis.  Sometimes my right eye doesn't blink along with the left.  I notice that winking my right eye is harder than winking my left (not that I do a lot of winking).  But this paralysis is very minor and they say it will get better.  The discomfort at the surgical site on the right side of my head is slowly decreasing.  Still getting fatigued toward the early afternoon but that too is decreasing day by day.  I've been cleared to drive now so I will miss that great service from my chauffeur (wife) :D .   Getting the BAHA in two months.  Will report back after I've had a chance to "hear" with it.
Best wishes for your good outcomes and prayers for overcoming your challenges,

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 01:27:25 pm »
Claude ~

Congratulations on a positive one-month review.  As we like to remind post-op AN patients: 'time is on our side'.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

TexasSprinter

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 02:12:13 pm »
Claude--I've been offline for a month or so.  Always enjoy hearing success stories.  Hope things continue to improve for you.

iz2014

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 12:57:03 pm »
Really interested about how things will sound with the BAHA! Be sure to let us know  :)

Pharm925

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 04:41:08 pm »
So good to read success stories and I had a very similar experience and so thankful. I am almost 2 weeks post op via middle fossa now and I think I am doing fantastically. Stitches removed tomorrow! Let us know your progress! :)
Diagnosed 9/2012 - 8mm
5/2013- no growth- 8mm
4/2014- no growth- 8mm
Surgery on 4/16/2014 by Dr. Vrabec at Methodist in Houston-100% removed via Middle Fossa approach
6/6/2014- Hearing test done and AN ear hearing mostly saved!!!
4/2015- MRI 1 year post-op- clean of AN!!! :)