Author Topic: Post Op issues, do they ever go away?????????????????  (Read 7828 times)

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
Re: Post Op issues, do they ever go away?????????????????
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006, 01:46:18 am »
Almost 4 years down the track and still have debilitating headaches / pain.

Tried lotys of things. The best cure for me is the Good Morning thread and the posters on this site. Laughter that is. The quantum of drugs I have taken are useless apart from neurontin which helps a bit.

Janet, we'll talk more about your Botox treatment in a few weeks.

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Peanut

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 11:12:30 pm »
Amazing how individual the recoveries are.  No fun to be in the "slow" group, is it, Laz?  But I"ve had a few days of very little pain, don't dare crow any kind of victory, for I know the fairy and her companion, the demon still lurk.

Peanut

Almost 4 years down the track and still have debilitating headaches / pain.

Tried lotys of things. The best cure for me is the Good Morning thread and the posters on this site. Laughter that is. The quantum of drugs I have taken are useless apart from neurontin which helps a bit.

Janet, we'll talk more about your Botox treatment in a few weeks.

laz
3.5 cm AN total resection via suboccipital  April 2003 Barker & McKenna, MGH Boston one week, two weeks Spaulding Rehab
silicone punctal plugs in lower puncta for dry eye,
persistent post op head pain
Acupuncture, craniosacral treatments, Tramadol   200  reduced to 150, now 100mg. daily Feb 2007

RattieLady

• Ourplaceourspace
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2006, 05:55:36 am »
Deb,

Your description of "Wonkyhead" made me laugh, since it describes me to the tee. Thanks for the input. So maybe 10 yrs from now we will be more back to normal???  I really feel for people who have had these on both sides. I wonder if they loose the vestibular nerve on both sides, how would you balance with both nerves gone???
Patti UT
I have NF2 so i have an's in both ears. my balance is not great but i manage since they removed the first one. I hate to think what my balance will be like when the next AN is removed. I must remember to ask about this when i see my neurosurgeon/NF2 consultant.
NF2 diagnosed in October 2002.
5 operations since Jan 2004.One was an emergancy tumor removal.

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2006, 07:56:24 pm »
HI RL,

SO sorry to come to know you have/had the beasts on both sides.  Maybe a new thread needs to be started. In your shoes I would be very interested to know what happens if they have to remove or damage the remaining balance (vertibular)nerve to get the other side AN out. If the brain is supposively adjusting to the loss of the one nerve by making  use of the  remaining nerve. How DOES the brain adjust/compensate. I guess it could rely on just the visual and touch/feeling for balance?? Since hearing is such a large part of balance too but that is also impaired by all this. 

I'm sure someone on the forum has probably had the surgery on both sides and maybe knows. The brain is a miraculous thing.
I'll be interested to see what your Doc tells you about this.

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year