Author Topic: Newbie, Is it possible to have an early AN not showing on MRI?  (Read 5588 times)

HelenCDJ

Newbie, Is it possible to have an early AN not showing on MRI?
« on: November 16, 2012, 11:24:13 am »
I'm a 27 yr old female, mother of two beautiful girls.  I've had hearing loss in my left ear for more than 2yrs now.  A couple of months ago I started to have a crunching/pulsating sound in that same ear. Other symptoms: headaches (which I normally do not get), dizziness and/or feeling like the room is spinning and lately the left side of my face feels numb/tingly from time to time (top lip and cheek, top eyelid trembles).  I decided to visit my ENT in July/2012: *hearing tests came back with hearing loss in left ear *MRI with contrast came back ok. I was given steroids to see if it would clear up the ringing in my ear, but no such luck. Just had an appointment on 11/14/12 I told my ENT that the left side of my face feels numb/tingly from time to time (top lip and cheek, top eyelid trembles). My hearing test is a tad bit improved but not where it should be.  While doing the hearing test I could feel a vibration in the headphones so I would raise my hand when I felt the vibration and not the sound itself. I told the audiologist but I'm not sure she understood what I was trying to tell her.  My ENT wants to see me in 6 months to have my tests re-done, he says he doesn't want to miss anything just in case it's too small that it doesn't appear on MRI.  I'm sorry if my statement isn't very clear.  I'm new to the forum and a bit nervous.  I'm sending you all healing thoughts and many blessings.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Newbie, Is it possible to have an early AN not showing on MRI?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 02:06:26 pm »
Hi, Helen - welcome to the ANA discussion forums - and thanks for posting.

Because the MRI scan (with contrast) did not indicate an acoustic neuroma or other cause for your symptoms, this leaves you in a quandry, of sorts. In terms of symptoms, if there is no AN present, you could be suffering from something that mimics an acoustic neuroma but I'm not a doctor and won't attempt to speculate.  The next MRI may indicate an acoustic neuroma if it has grown from a very small size, which, of course, is how the tumor begins.  Unfortunately - and as illogical as it would seem - the smaller ANs can give the patient the biggest problems.    I hope that your symptoms will subside and that, AN or not, you'll keep us updated.  Thanks.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sheila1977

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 09:51:06 am »
Dear Helen,
I am praying that your symptoms subside and this resolves for you soon.  I just wanted to encourage you to have the follow up MRI.  I waited 12 months and should have followed up with a second MRI at least at 6 months.  It would not have changed the end result (translab), but I would have addressed the situation sooner.  I kind of put my head in the sand and hoped it would just go away.  But once I did face the situation and did my due diligence, there was less fear.  And I think for a lot of us, the wait and the anxiety of the unknown is worse than the treatment.  Hope this helps.
s
7mm AN June 2011
Almost doubled in July 2012
Translab Sep 2012 at Kaiser San Diego

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 02:45:45 pm »
It is possible that an MRI with contrast can miss an AN, but it must be very small like 2-3mm x 2-3mm x 1mm
Getting AN symptoms with such a small AN is unlikely but possible.

There are many things that can cause AN like symptoms. AN's are relatively rare, so the chances are you probably dont have one.

Your doctor sounds like he is on the ball, hopefully he will find an answer to your problems.

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

HelenCDJ

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 10:07:59 am »
Thank you Jim, Sheila, and Paul for your replies.  Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I will be having another MRI and hearing test in May.  I'm trying to tell myself that everything is going to be fine, but deep down I'm a little worried. Not knowing is a little nerve wrecking.  At least if I knew what was going on, I could spend my time focusing on where to go or who to see to get better.  Sometimes I feel like life is moving all around me and I'm in slow motion. It's like I'm just stuck.  I can imagine that many others here have had this same feeling.

I send you all healing thoughts and many blessings.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 06:17:34 pm »
Helen -

it sounds like you've done all the things you should do to find out if you have an AN - especially an MRI w/contrast which is the only way to definitively diagnosis one.

That said, lots of people with ANs are misdiagnosed - or diagnosed incorrectly - for years, so following up with your doctor sounds like a great idea.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

helen2

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 01:09:02 pm »
Hi
In March 2011 I suddenly got dizzy and have been constantly dizzy ever since. I March 2012 I had an open MRI with contrast agent. This showed no abnormalities. I have since learned that open machines do not take the best pictures. I did alot of my own research because my ABR test did show an abnormality.
Next week I am having the MRI in a 3T machine with contrast agent.I will need IV sedation because of my severe claustrophobia. Once again I had to do alot of my own research to find the nearest 3T machine. Open MRI machines only have a tesla strength of .7 

Hope this helps.

mk

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 11:24:56 am »
I am not a doctor, but there are some other conditions which cause similar symptoms. Meniere's disease is the first to come in mind - it causes hearing loss, vertigo etc. Meniere's causes hearing loss at a specific frequency range (I don't remember if it is the low or the high frequencies). You may want to ask your ENT about it.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Mark H

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 09:44:47 am »
Helen,
I'm kinda in your boat. MRI's for several years showed nothing. Finally a few years ago my AN's (I have twins) got large enough to identify. About 2mm each. No real growth since, so they are behaving nicely as of my last scan. I didn't get one this year as finances prevented it. I might get one sometime next year. I have tinnitus in both ears, dizziness and my balance isn't the best in the world. I do fall occasionally and that seems to be getting more frequent. Anyway, you've come to a good place for amswers.
Mark

HelenCDJ

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 11:40:09 pm »
Thank you all for your replies, every comment helps. I've continued to go to my ENT (he's great by the way). I had a MRV and it showed I have a High Riding Jugular Bulb and a Hypoplastic Transverse Sinus. The high riding jugular bulb may be the reason for my Tinnitus and hearing loss. He wanted me to get a second opinion and sent me to a colleague of his, another great ENT. The next step would be to have a little tube inserted in my ear which might help relieve some pressure and might help lessen my tinnitus. My ENT and audiologists will continue to due testings every 3 months, he says he doesn't want anything to slip by and take us by surprise. I've been having more headaches but the good thing is my hearing hasn't worsened since my last test. I wanted to keep you guys updated with my situation. My heart goes out to all of you. I'm sending you all healing thoughts and many blessings.
Helen