Author Topic: Caregivers and a Support Team  (Read 2892 times)

Desilu

Caregivers and a Support Team
« on: August 28, 2006, 05:33:25 pm »
Just wanted to mention this topic especially for "newbies" and people contemplating surgery.  I don't know if anyone has brought up this issue before but I felt it was very important, and I thought that maybe others could shed helpful information about this subject.

The first surgeon that I went to (he did not do my surgery, although I really did like him!) told me that he would not do my surgery unless I had a caregiver or support team to help me after my surgery.  I first thought, I can do this and I don't need any help!  After searching the website and learning of the possible side effects, I realized maybe he was right.

I had family and friends set up right after surgery and when I came home, I had help for 2 weeks (total 4 weeks).  Different people may require more or less time depending on how you are feeling, and we all know each person is different.

It felt so good to know that someone was there, whether it was to help me walk across the street without stumbling on the curb or helping me wash my hair (what was left of it!).  Just knowing that if I needed help it was there.  It was a very humbling experience especially because I never like to ask for help.

We have all learned different things from our AN experience.  I have learned that it's ok to ask for help.  As a result of this, I want to help anyone out there facing AN surgery in anyway that I can.

I'm sure there are many more tips that others can add to this thread that will help "newbies" on their AN journey from surgery to a smooth transititon to the healing process. 

Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: Caregivers and a Support Team
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 06:05:36 pm »
I wish my surgeons had told me I needed a caregiver and support team after surgery.  All of the neighborhood kids planted themselves at my house and ate me out of house and home.  Not one dish washed or one thing made a little easier.  While I was in the hospital the neighbors fed my husband!  Afterwards nothing except wanting to see my staples and baldness and my socker head! ???  Yikes................must be why I'm moving. ???
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Desilu

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 06:45:17 pm »
Hi BrendaO,

Sometimes change is good. Maybe this time you will get friendly, supportive neighbors. Good Luck with your move!  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

cookiesecond

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 02:48:48 am »
Ann,
I couldn't agree more. I think a good support team is VERY important during this journey. I didn't stay by myself for 6 weeks and meals were prepared during this time.I  was re admitted at 2 weeks post op for meningitis and someone stayed with me the 10 days I was in the hospital and continued to stay with me when I got home. My husband worked nights at the time. He took off the first two weeks for my surgery and my first week home. I am usually the caregiver so I didn't like having to have help but I praise God for family and friends.
Brenda,
I hope all goes well with your move,
Take care and have a blessed week,
Lynn

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 05:17:55 am »
What a great topic! As an extremely self-sufficient person, I caved when it came to this. My caregivers were unable to come to me, so I had to go to them. My husband I knew would be unable to get the time off of work (university Professor) so I made arrangements to stay with a cousin in California for 3 weeks post-op, and then flew (Yikes!) to Florida to stay with my friend of 30 years.  Both lived in nice warm climates conducive to the walking I needed to get back in the groove. Trying to get back to walking in the winter in the NC mountains, living on a one-lane dirt mountain road where you need 4 wheel drive to get around at all was not a good idea. I have no kids or parents, nor any family close by.
It was really stressful not having my man or my dog or my own bed for almost 3 months, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

Capt Deb
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 05:42:41 am by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 08:07:37 am »
Great Topic, a support system is SO very important before, during and after your treatment. We're lucky to have this forum as something of a support system, but not everyone does.