Author Topic: Pajama question  (Read 5070 times)

RachelSta

Pajama question
« on: May 12, 2013, 07:29:56 pm »
My surgery is scheduled for 5/29 at U of M hospital. I thought I was going to have MCF, but due to recent diminished hearing will be having Translab instead. This seems so trivial in relation to everything else, but I am trying to find pajamas and need some guidance.

How important is it for the pajamas to be button up? Could they instead just have a big scoop neck?  I went shopping today (Hapoy Mothers Day to me), and really didn't see much of the button up front variety I liked. I saw one pair and bought it, but it was really expensive.

Also, this question is for the ladies, but did you wear a bra in the hospital at all?

Thanks for your help!
Rachel

ewchisek

Re: Pajama question
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 09:42:06 pm »
I packed a whole bag of stuff and didn't use any of it. I wore hospital gown the whole time, without a bra, but I suppose you could put one on if you want. As for going home, I wore same clothes I wore when I got to the hospital since I only had them on for about 90 min. A big scoop neck will work. Once you get home and are able to take off bandage from head you can wear pretty much anything, just will have to be careful getting it over your head as you will be sore.

Good Luck! Bring your toothbrush! Brushing my teeth the day after surgery was like a little piece of heaven :) you can't shower, but I did give myself a sponge bath two times while in the hospital, felt great too!

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 08:30:45 pm »
No bra used during my hospital stay. If you want it on and still have IV nurse can help show you how to do it.
When picking night clothes big consideration is to have short sleeves that are loose to allow for the IV bag and turning to be passed through, the nurse can show you how to do that, also a big neck line if it's not the button up tops in case of large head bandage. Same for a housecoat if you wear one. PJ pants that are loose in case you're on your feet but have a catheter/bag, unless you just go with night dresses and that's fine too.
You should be allowed to use hospital gowns if need be.
I found I was fine with all the things I usually wear.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 10:22:18 am »
Never wore PJs, just the gown. Wore 2 gowns, one in front and one on the backside when walking down the hallway.  I had a drain next to my navel where fat was removed, and it had to be treated, so the gown was just perfect.

James

Chances3

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 11:18:51 am »
Unfortunately hospital gowns serve a purpose, they allow access to your body which the medical community needs.  PJ's aren't practical I am afraid to say.  Good Luck with upcoming surgery and I hope you have a very speedy recovery.

mk

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 06:05:43 pm »
I ended up using the hospital gowns. I was sweating so much due to the steroids that I had to change every few hours. So hospital gowns were the way to go.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Imcamodchick88

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 04:33:42 am »
From reading these, I was out of the norm by wearing pajamas. I wore a tank top and pants, so that's the kind of neck I had, obviously not button up. Of course, I had the gowns while in ICU, but after being moved to the floor I was allowed to change. In honesty, that is probably what made me start feeling better, along with the shower I was allowed to take. I also was allowed to wear my own robe while walking around. But, I also had only the needle part of the IV in my arm, and no catheter as soon as I was out of the ICU, and no other wires either. I think it really depends on the person, and possibly the hospital.

Best of luck!
Kristin
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:38:55 am by Imcamodchick88 »
2.8-cm AN removed by translab on 12/23/11 at UTSW
Dr. Issacson and Dr. Mickey