Author Topic: MD Anderson anyone? just been diagnosed  (Read 6864 times)

jtyler

MD Anderson anyone? just been diagnosed
« on: May 08, 2013, 08:40:55 am »
I have just joined the forum and noticed that many of you get treated at the same places, House, Pittsburgh, so I was wondering if I made the correct treatment choice.

A bit of background, starting only two weeks ago i have had increasingly severe imbalance problems, strange noises in my right ear, numbness on my entire right side, so i went to my PCP 10 days ago - she sent me to the ER, I went to see an ENT, none of them offered any diagnosis and so I went to the neurologist department at a nearby hospital (I work in the Texas Medical Center, in Houston) and they couldn't give me an appointment for three months, so i went back to a different ER last Thursday and convinced them to let me see a neurologist and do an MRI. They did an MRI and found a 2cm by 1.5cm AN.  That hospital (which does have an excellent reputation in general) checked me into their neurosurgery ward and wanted to do the AN surgery immediately, so I discharged myself and got an appointment the same day to see the relevant expert at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.  I was told i had the tumor at midnight and met with the surgeons at MD Anderson the next morning, after getting no sleep due to brain tumor panic, so I didn't really go into the appointment prepared to ask all the best questions.
  I was really impressed with the surgeons (Dr DaMonte and Dr Gigley (auditory surgeon who does the surgery alongside Dr. DaMonte)) and DaMonte has an excellent reputation among neurosurgeons nationally (I was told this by a few of my NS friends elsewhere in the country, although i dont know about their AN surgery skills specifically).  Dr. DaMonte and Gigley said that in over 100 AN surgeries that they have done, that none of their patients have been left with facial paralysis (my biggest concern). Is this number of AN surgeries too low for them to be excellent surgeons? or is it reasonable? They stimulate the facial nerve during the operation so that they know where it is. i was feeling really comfortable with my decision to go with them and am scheduled for surgery in a week (i work at MD Anderson and they take care of their employees really well. i.e. see us fast).  MD Anderson is voted every year to be the best Cancer Hospital (for cancer in general) in America, so I just assumed that it would be one of the best places for AN surgery. 

However, when i joined your forum this morning i was surprised to find that there are places like House that only specialize in AN surgery, and it also seemed like none of you got your surgery at MD Anderson,  and so I would like to ask those of you that have done the research into AN surgeons that I clearly didnt do, if any of you had included MD Anderson in your comparisons for AN surgery and how it ranked?  Also, what was your main criteria for choosing somewhere like House?  Was it because they have done so many of these operations that they clearly must be very skilled?  Or are there real statistics out there on success rates for different surgeons?  If so, how do I find those statistics? Are there any make or break questions that I should ask my surgeons to ascertain if they really are among the best for AN surgery before it is too late?  I really feel quite debilitated by these symptoms at present (I fell down on the floor, from a standing position, yesterday at work) - I have to hold down a very high pressure job where i work 12 hours a day, as well as having 8 year old triplets (I am a 43 year old female), so I want to get the surgery done as soon as possible so that I can try to get back to being more functional again. I am prepared to lose my hearing, however, would prefer not to get the facial paralysis and blinking complications.

Thanks for your help, i really appreciate it.  If any of you did go to MD Anderson for AN surgery I would love to hear from you, as i have some specific questions also about what to expect with the recovery, how much hair do they shave off etc.

jtyler

Re: MD Anderson anyone? just been diagnosed
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 07:24:29 am »
I have just found that MD Anderson has a webpage specifically on Acoustic Neuroma and their doctors, so I have found much of the info and reassurance that I was looking for.  By the way, I got the doctors names slightly wrong:  it is Franco DeMonte (Neurological surgery) and Paul Gidley (Neurotology).  Wish me luck for my surgery on May 16th. I will let you all know how my recovery goes.

mesafinn

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 10:36:34 am »
Hello Jtyler and welcome to the discussion!  I am sorry to read about your diagnosis.  It is a frightening moment to hear the news initially that you have a "brain tumor," but it seems you've been doing your reading.

The Acoustic Neuroma Association has information on MD Anderson on its site, which suggests that you have come across a good locale for your treatment:

http://www.anausa.org/index.php/medical-resources/medical-center-directory/166-university-of-texas-md-anderson-cancer-center

Having said that, it may behoove you to think through all of your options.  Each of us is different and requires different considerations.  But I am struck at the "immediacy" in which the surgeons seem to be recommending treatment.  ANs tend to grow very slowly, and you are encouraged to do your reading and thinking.   You may decide that you do not want to "watch and wait" (a treatment approach), but there are other options besides surgery such as radiosurgery, radiotherapy, and other possibilities you can read about here.   Have you also determined what type of surgical approach they will use (retro, translab, middle fossa)?   

I recognize that being diagnosed is frightening--I was only diagnosed in February--but take your time to find out as much as you can about ANs, about treatment options, and about what is best for you.   You may well circle back to your initial decision but at least you will have more information and understanding.

We are here to help, answer questions, and share our own experiences.   But ultimately, we're here to support you (as others have done for us!) during this tricky and challenging time.

Peace and comfort--

Patrick
Oct 2012:  Constant Pulsatile Tinnitus
Feb 28, 2013: Dx AN 1.4 cm X .9 mm
April 19, 2013:  GK at UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford

Some things in my life need to matter less, and other things in my life need to matter more.  So yes, I'm taking this as a "lesson learned experience."

Chances3

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 11:20:31 am »
Hi JTyler,

I second Patrick's comments.  Let me start by saying that I'm sorry you're now in this AN fraternity.  After reading your post, I was also surprised by the urgency the doctors have placed in a surgical option.  I know what you are going through, although I didn't have the added burden of triplets.  However, I have a very demanding and stressful job, with 12-14 hour days.  I get up around 4-4:30 AM everyday, so you can imagine how challenging life became when my tumor was wrecking havoc to me.  I wanted the damn thing out as well !!  Having said that, my doctors did discuss all options, like radiation - they called it Gamma Knife.  I wanted some finality to my tumor, so I eventually chose surgery.  Sorry I can't answer your questions about the medical team you have chosen, but as Patrick said, you do not have to rush immediately into this.  Perhaps you can ask the surgeons about complications that you are worried about - like facial and eye issues.  Ask them their success rate in their procedure, and ask them what are your chances ( percentage odds ), of you coming out of this 'clean'.  These are just some suggestions, but whatever you decide, be as informed as possible so that you are comfortable with your final decision.

God Bless.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 12:54:59 pm »
I live in Georgetown, Tx. and had my surgery done at Methodist in Houston by Dr. Vrabec 3 years ago. I was looking for the best doctor.  House was considered, but if I needed followup, L.A. is a long way to go. I used private messages with other posters here who used Dr Vrabec, and I made an appointment with him.

Prior to meeting with him, I interviewed two doctors at Scott and White, but they wanted to do radiation. My next interview was with Dr Vrabec, and he said surgery was the way to go. I had already lost 85% of my hearing, and Vrabec said he could save my face with a translab approach.

I chose Vrabec and would do the same all over again. He also did my BAHA surgery at the same time. I never had any facial problems. The treatment at Methodist was top-drawer. I was back home in three days. Surgery took 10 hours. Vrabec is a "to the point" kind of person...not warm and fuzzy, but I got what I wanted...the best doctor.

Now that your first panic is over, you need to know you have NO rush to make a decision. Study this site front to back. Interview several doctors. Houston is a great place to be for these highly skilled doctors...that's why I went there.

James

jtyler

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 08:42:47 am »
To be totally fair to the two hospitals I went to in Houston, at both of them all three options, w and w, radiation and surgery were fully explained to me. No pressure was put on me to take the surgery. I am 43, know that I recover well from other surgeries in the past, and found my symptoms so debilitating that I chose the surgery route. However after reading this forum and realizing the possible complications from surgery I have chosen to go to dr Friedman and Schwartz at house for retrosigmoid surgery on may 29. All the doctors i spoke with in houston are absolutely outstanding, but i had to make a decision that i am comfortable i am really am grateful for this forum for enabling me to educate myself more on this.  Wish me luck

jtyler

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 08:46:42 am »
By the way I tried to get an appointment to just speak to vrabec and the first available was in over a month and they wouldn't tell me how many an surgeries he does a year until I was his patient. I would have loved to have been able to consider him otherwise

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 01:54:34 pm »
You are in good hands. Keep reading and posting here so we can keep tabs on you.

James

susierg

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 05:50:23 pm »
I had my surgery last July at MD Anderson.  Dr Demonte and Dr Gidley were great!  My tumor was very small but they recommended surgery as it had been stable for 5 years and then just took off.  I had the middle fossa approach to try and preserve my hearing.  I did lose the hearing in my AN ear, but Dr Gidley performed my BAHA surgery the following December.  I have had wonky head for serveral months....its just now getting to were I feel almost normal.  I still have bad days, just not as many.
You have to make the choice that feels right for you.....that's probably the hardest part.  I know that you will be fine and the people on this forum are wonderful!!

Good luck to you and let us know how your doing.
4mm AN diagnosed 8/2007.  Watch and wait for 5 years.  5/2012 grew to 7x4x4.
Mid Fossa 7/2012 at MD Anderson, Houston,Tx
SSD but still hoping it will return.