Author Topic: NEw here, into and questions, this is my second schwannoma.....  (Read 2440 times)

Nank

Hi,

My name is Nank.  I am in NJ. 

I was just diagnosed with AN on 6/12/13.  It is 1.3 x 0.7 cm in dimension.

This  started in the fall when the tinnitus started.  I had on and off ear pain for about 4 years.  Kept going to ear doctor and he could see nothing.  Finally when the tinnitus started I said "can't you look in there?"  So we did partial CT scan and carotid test, which showed nothing.  He then said I had TMJ.  I went to dentist in March and he said no way.  I mentioned that I had a neurologist and he said go back to him.  So I went to neuro in April and he ordered MRA and MRI, but I was waiting to have other surgery so had to put those tests off.  Anyway,  MRI on 6/6 showed AN as stated above.  To me I don't have much hearing loss but the ear pain, tinnitus and weird headaches made me KNOW that something was wrong and different.  I hate that I actually thought I was crazy when I am telling people my symptoms and they sort of don't really take you seriously! 

I have already been to neurosurgeon who said Gamma Knife.  I am scheduled for hearing test on 6/24 and have appt. with radiology oncologist on 6/25. 

I have had a schwannoma in my thoracic region that I have been watching on for about 7 years.  Neuro things I could have neurofibramatosis  Type II.  I stated this to neurosurgeon but he says no because you need to have two ANs to have that disease.  So my other shcwannoma doesn't count?  Now I am scared I have more of them in my body.  I have a pain in my right hip area that no one can explain and it has been there for years. 

Here are some of my questions?

Is there a such thing as a full body MRI?  Or do you have to do MRIs of each part of your body separately?

I have had these neurologist and neurosurgeon for years watching my first schwannoma and know them like them, but should I be getting second opinions on this stuff?  Should I be meeting with other doctors in the area, seeing their people, taking up time and getting the same opinion?  Should I be researching the exact type of Gamma Knife machine?  Is that necessary?  I have such bad headaches already, can't imagine doing this research?

Also, I am AFRAID of MRI and did sit up MRI for my recent ones which was AWESOME.  Actually sitting up and watching TV During test.  I don't know HOW I am going to go into that Gamma Knife thing with that thing on my head, then in MRI, then whatever comes after that.  What kind of drugs do they give you?  I may need valium for a week ahead of time just to get me there. 

I really can't believe this is happening!  I'm still in shock I think about having a "brain tumor".  Is that a wrong statement?  It is not really on my brain?

Here's my other ridiculous worry.  I don't want to tell people.  I don't want them to feel sorry for me or have pity on me.  is that strange?  People do look at you differently right?

Well, that's my story so far.  I have been reading alot here the past few days and of course am overwhelmed.  Thanks for any advice you can give!

Nank

1.3x0.7 cm AN in right ear
Diagnosed 6/12/13
Tinnitus, ear pain
No hearing loss
GK 7/25/13

jetatp

Re: NEw here, into and questions, this is my second schwannoma.....
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 04:51:56 pm »
Hi Nank

I know exactly what you feel, I too was diagnosed last month on May 26,2013. The best advice I can give you is research and find out the best treatment options for you. There are many
great Clinics that are use to dealing with AN. I am sure many will have different opinions about the different treatment options it helps to listen to other stories. For me I have chosen surgery
at HEI in Los Angeles. I will be having Middle Fossa Surgery next Wednesday on June 26th. I still have good hearing but decided I did not want to wait since the dizziness and vertigo has
gotten worse. The type of surgery probably has the best odds for hearing preservation. I also believe that CK and GK are good alternatives for surgery. Again do your research and the forum
is a great help. I know it was for me. Best wishes

Steve