Author Topic: putting off MRI-- scared of results and scared of test.  (Read 17850 times)

lilahan

putting off MRI-- scared of results and scared of test.
« on: June 12, 2013, 12:37:13 pm »
Hi everyone.  I have been having symptoms at least 4 years of sudden vertigo and tinnitus. About 2 years ago I went to docs about it and they saw a hearing loss on the left ear but never really said much. My symptoms increased so last summer I went back and had another hearing test and at this point they were concerned as the hearing loss is a lot worse. Along with that I have very bad tinnitus just in that ear. It is so bad sometimes it hurts my ear especially if I turn my head certain ways. Also the vertigo can happen suddenly if I tilt my head down. Along with that I get a general dizziness but it always goes away. My doc had scheduled an MRI last summer but I chickened out. Finally my symptoms are so bad I am going in this time and not putting it off.

I guess they are worried because all the trouble is in one ear==the other is fine. One other symptom I have is pressure and pain in the ear at times. Sometimes I think maybe it is allergies? Is that possible" Do any of you get a pressure/pain feeling?

I'm a very healthy happy person but am scared and really haven't told anyone so have no one to talk to about it. Thanks for listening.

And one more thing I am pretty terrified about the MRI. I want to be sedated but the doc said no.

phantagrae

Re: putting off MRI-- scared of results and scared of test.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 01:51:48 pm »
I would definitely go through with the MRI.
Are you scared because of claustrophia?  Some facilities over "open MRI" which is less confining, and oftentimes they will offer sedation or you can have a friend go with you.
Did your doc give you a reason why he didn't want you to be sedated?  My nephew had to have MRIs when he was a toddler (he had a seizure disorder and had to have major brain surgery) and he was sedated for all of his (which is common with small children.)

I'm not claustrophobic, so I didn't have an issue with that, but otherwise, there was nothing scary about the MRI.  It's just a big machine that makes noise.  It doesn't hurt and doesn't touch you.  You lie on a "bed" and they slide you in--and in this case, since they'll be looking at your head, you'll only go in to about your wrists or so.
I just closed my eyes and listened to the machine, daydreamed, etc.

At any rate, your symptoms could be indicative of an acoustic neuroma and if so, the sooner you find out for sure the better.

If I were you I would confide in someone about your situation.  There's no good reason to face something like this alone and if someone can go with you for the MRI you'd probably feel better, just for the moral support if nothing else.

Praying for you!
Numbness on right side of face beginning some time in 2012 through early 2013
MRI 4/15/13
20mm x 19mm x 16mm intra and extra canalicular AN on Right Side.  ("Largely extracanalicular")
FSR treatment beginning on July 22, 2013--going for 30 treatments

lilahan

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 02:10:11 pm »
thank you for your thoughtful reply. I'm not really scared of the machine but am of the dye.  It just terrifies me. The doc said he will give me some Valium but that I need to be awake to follow instructions. I want to be more heavily sedated....like a twilight sleep. I'm not sure what instructions he could mean as I had an MRI on my foot before and it is pretty narrow in there!

So, I guess to clarify I'm not scared of the actual MRI but am the dye. I've never had it before and not sure how my body will react.

prisca

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 02:59:21 pm »
If you can isolate what it is about the MRI experience that is frightening you, you may be able to deal with the issue.  Is it the test itself that frightens you or the potential results?  I was abused as a child, and even as an adult I used to feel uncomfortable lying on my back with my stomach exposed.  Many years ago when I had to have an MRI for another reason, I took a pillow with me and asked if I could put it on my stomach so I wouldn't feel so uneasy, and they were very nice about it.  I no longer am bothered by MRIs, but if it is something about the test itself and you can isolate it, you may be able to do something to help.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 03:16:38 pm »
Hi, Lilahan ~

Many of us have trepidations about undergoing a head MRI scan and the dye is relatively harmless but can cause side effects, such as nausea.  Although we're all unique, I've had many head Mri scans with the dye and never experienced any side effects.  However, an MRI with 'contrast' dye is the gold standard for discovering an acoustic neuroma, should one be present.  Of course, I hope it is not but avoiding finding out due to fear is not prudent.  Try not to allow your fears of temporary discomfort dissuade you from undergoing this very necessary, non-invasive procedure.

We're here to support you in whatever way we can so please consider these forums as a resource.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

phantagrae

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 03:55:23 pm »
thank you for your thoughtful reply. I'm not really scared of the machine but am of the dye.  It just terrifies me. The doc said he will give me some Valium but that I need to be awake to follow instructions. I want to be more heavily sedated....like a twilight sleep. I'm not sure what instructions he could mean as I had an MRI on my foot before and it is pretty narrow in there!

So, I guess to clarify I'm not scared of the actual MRI but am the dye. I've never had it before and not sure how my body will react.

Do you have any kinds of allergies?  I know that they asked about my blood sugar and things like that because of the contrast dye, or if I'd ever had an allergic reaction to certain things.

When they injected the dye I didn't feel a thing--I expected it to be more complicated, but it was just a needle stick.  I wasn't aware of the dye in my body at all.
As Jim said, some people have nausea afterward, but many people do not.

They should do a blood test beforehand in regard to the dye and should ask you some medical history questions, if they haven't already.

I've had various medications given by IV and I've felt those in my body, of course, like pain medication following surgery, or benadryl before an iron IV.  But I didn't feel anything at all with the dye.
Numbness on right side of face beginning some time in 2012 through early 2013
MRI 4/15/13
20mm x 19mm x 16mm intra and extra canalicular AN on Right Side.  ("Largely extracanalicular")
FSR treatment beginning on July 22, 2013--going for 30 treatments

Nannybee

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 08:44:40 pm »
The contrast used in a brain MRI is gadolinium, which is different from the dye used in CT scans of the internal organs that are iodine based. Allergic reaction to gadolinium is rare and the sensation of warmth and metallic taste in the mouth that is common with Iodinized contrast are not present with the gadolinium. It's given toward the end of the scan but is really necessary because tumors "light up" on Post contrast films.
Best of luck. You will do fine.
AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2
AN treated with SRS April 2013
MRI Feb 2016 AN shrunk to 17 x 8 mm :)
Constant tinnitus in AN ear
Severe hearing loss AN ear

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 09:42:38 am »
thank you for your thoughtful reply. I'm not really scared of the machine but am of the dye.  It just terrifies me.

Forgive me for being blunt but with a 4 year history of symptoms and considerable hearing loss on one side, you MIGHT have an Acoustic Neuroma (a BRAIN TUMOR) and it MIGHT be a BIG ONE.

The MRI and dye are the least of your worries.

Toughen up and get an MRI ASAP.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 12:33:07 am »
lilahan: Do not put having the MRI any longer....IF your problem is indeed an AN you don't want to leave it too long 'cause it will keep growing and that might elimate treatment choices for you (like gamma knife) and only be left with surgery as your option. The dye is really not a big thing, your bigger worry is having things treated before they get "out of control". Also you say your doc. gave you Valium, that in itself should do the trick, I take Ativan before and am very relaxed (but awake and able to move) for the entire procedure.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

prisca

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 02:48:25 pm »
I don't know your situation, but I wonder if you would be willing to imagine that you were responsible for decisions about someone else's health care.  Maybe there's a child for whom you are responsible.  Maybe a loved one trusted you enough to give you their health-care power-of-attorney.  Regardless, you find yourself in a situation where a doctor tells you this other person has a potentially deadly disease and a test must be performed.  With a good diagnosis and treatment the person will get better.  Without it, he/she will die.  Assume this person had told you before he/she was scared of the test.  What would you decide for him/her?  Would you let his/her fear stand in the way?  Just another angle to look at.

Take care.

ChipsFL

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 09:53:40 pm »

I was in your shoes 6 yrs ago so I simply opted out of the dye when I got to the MRI place, and I did that for about 5 yrs of them until the MRI just before CyberKnife treatment. The tumor does show up better with the dye however none of the many docs that reviewed my scans had any trouble seeing it. The dye turned out to be a non event; these days they blood test you first. As others here stated; the most important thing is that you get that MRI; ASAP because if it is an AN and it gets too large Cyberknife won't be a treatment option for you.
4-2012,  CK, Wellington, Fl
11-2012, Followup MRI- "no Sig. change"
10-2015 Followup MRI- Tumer Shrunk In Size

lilahan

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 06:35:19 pm »
Thank you all for your kind replies (except the rude one). I booked my mri today. It is scheduled for the 15th.

One thing I have noticed about my symptoms is loud noises and changes in elevation cause dizziness too...as well as an increase in tinnitus. The newest trigger for dizziness is swimming! Not sure why that would happen even though my head was not under water.

Anyway thanks for listening and will let you know how it goes. The person that booked the appt. for me was very kind and reassuring.