Author Topic: 3+ Year AN Update  (Read 2680 times)

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
3+ Year AN Update
« on: July 25, 2013, 11:37:29 am »
Hello everyone!  I had an AN removed over 3 years ago.  I haven't been back in quite a while and I just wanted to give a little perspective and share my journey since my AN.

My Story:

Diagnosed October 15, 2009
Left Side Acoustic Neuroma, 7mm x 9mm
My initial presenting symptoms were extreme vertigo, balance issues, and fatigue.  My hearing tested normal on both sides.

Retrosigmoid 12-14-2009 at Shands, Gainesville, FL. I chose the Retrosigmoid method hoping to preserve some hearing, but my main concern was preserving the facial nerve.  During surgery, it was determined that my hearing nerve was entangled in the tumor and had to be removed, therefore I woke up completely SSD on the left.   My facial nerve was undamaged and I had virtually no noticeable facial impact at any point pre or post-surgery.

Early Recovery (surgery- 6 weeks):  Moderate to severe headaches, which we suspected were from neck muscle spasms.  Muscle relaxers helped and so did narcotics which I took sparingly.  My headaches lessened in severity and frequency with time and I stopped the narcotics at about 4 weeks.  I had very minor tinnitus early on.  I had severe "wonky head" early on, but compensated fairly fast by walking, doing home vestibular exercises, and using the Wii Fit balance exercises.  I was back to class/driving at 6 weeks, but still tired very fast and needed to rest a lot.

Intermediate Recovery (6 weeks-6 months post-op):  My tinnitus was more severe, particularly when I was in a noisy environment or when I had a headache.  I still had headaches 2-3x per week, and they seemed to be triggered by anything that upset the pressure in my head (rain, allergies, a head cold, or sometimes no reason at all).  During the day, Excedrine Migraine usually worked or at least lessened the severity quite a bit.  At night, I took Alleve with limited success.   My balance still did not feel 100%, maybe as much as 90% on a good day but quite a bit less if I was tired or sick.  I still bumped into things occasionally and probably didn't walk terribly straight.  I had to watch where I walked. 

Longer Term Recovery (6 months- present, 3+ years):  Most days I don't even think about what life was like before my AN--and I mean that in a good way.  Since my AN I graduated Law School, passed the bar, began a new career, ran a 5-K for the first time, got divorced, continued raising two children by myself, and started dating again.  My life is full and happy and I feel like a lot of the success I have experienced comes from a positive attitude and my refusal to let "this thing" slow me down.

The SSD is still annoying at times.  Without even thinking about it, I usually strategically place myself in positions where people are on my good side.  Most people never know I am SSD unless I tell them.  I do get tinnitus in my AN ear fairly frequently, but it is not something that I have found as disruptive as some.  Usually, I don’t even notice it.  I would consider a Baha in the future, but it is not in my immediate plan.

My facial nerve seems to be fully intact.  I do notice that my eyes water and my nose runs a lot more since my surgery, particularly when I am eating or drinking.  I always keep tissues nearby.   That being said, my face appears normal and I don’t notice any weakness on either side. 

My balance is not what it used to be or what would be considered normal for a person my age.  I do have to watch where I am going—but again—I usually do this without thinking about it.  I exercise regularly and that helps since so much of my “balance” comes from compensation through my vision and muscle control.  I notice my balance issues the most when I am very tired or, for example, if I have a glass of wine.   :o  I do think I tire out more easily than I used to, but a healthy diet and exercise help with my energy level.  Oh, and I do still bump into things.  I’m generally always sporting a bruise here or there.

Headaches are rarely an issue anymore.  When I do get headaches, they are more the garden-variety type and not the painful migraine-type headaches I had early on.  I haven’t experienced a headache in months that Tylenol couldn’t handle.  I am most prone to headaches when I am extremely fatigued or have had a stressful day at the office….but who isn’t prone to headaches under those circumstances?

What I would tell others who are going through this is to keep a positive outlook, do a TON of research, and don’t be afraid to push yourself a little bit in your recovery (within the bounds of your doctor’s orders!!!).  I didn’t “give in” to the balance issues early on in my recovery, I worked hard, and I credit that for some of the reason that I have been able to come so far.  I refuse to live anything other than a normal life.  I also realize that I am extremely lucky and my outcome was very good.  I applaud all of the men and women who struggle with outcomes that were not as successful as mine and still maintain a positive outlook on life. 

Most days I feel normal.  I don’t long for my pre-AN days because this experience is just a part of who I am.  Fighting through my AN treatment and recovery made me stronger and taught me that I can dig deep and find strength when I need to.  For those of you who are recently diagnosed, I wish you the best of luck.  You will find a lot of very scary stories out there, but remember that there are a wide range of outcomes and there are a lot of us who had good ones too.  Carefully select your doctor and your treatment plan and then jump into it feet first with the determination to make it through.  You will be ok and you will still have a long, productive, happy post-AN life.   :)
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 3+ Year AN Update
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 01:25:10 pm »
Lyn ~

Thank you for posting that comprehensive, positive 3-year update! 

I'm delighted to learn how well you're doing and that you manage to cope with the inevitable deficits quite well.  I can relate to your comment that most people do not realize you are SSD.  I have a similar experience.  Same with balance.  Most of all, I heartily concur with your attitude of refusing to allow the AN experience to dominate your life.  Granted, that is much harder for some AN patients with multiple, sometimes seemingly intractable problems, but it is an attitude that has proven very beneficial to many post-op AN patients, including me. 

Thanks again for your update and please try to do so each year, if you can.  It will be appreciated. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jim J.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 06:59:31 am »
Thank you so much for posting your update. It comes at a good time for me with my surgery scheduled in 5 weeks. I really enjoyed reading all the positive things you experienced after treatment. I'm 58 years old and hopefully have many good years ahead of me. I chose a method of surgery to try to preserve my hearing but have accepted the idea that I could very well loose it, but like you, I will make the best of it and move on. In my post three years I'll be looking forward to watching my grand kids grow up and even maybe having a few more, one of my sons getting married, and hopefully an early retirement.
Before I read your post I have been thinking only of the immediate future which is very scary for me. I keep thinking of people that have a lot worse issues than I do but are strong and positive about their life. One of the radio station in Atlanta is doing a fund raiser for a children's cancer center. They are interviewing some of the kids and it is really amazing how strong they are at such a young age. I hear these kids talk and it helps me feel stronger knowing they are going through a lot more than I am.
Thanks again for getting me to look at this ordeal in a different light and seeing beyond the short term. I hope the very best for you and your family going forward

Jim

Chances3

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 11:09:12 am »
Hi Lyn,

That's a great post.  I really enjoyed it.  My three year anniversary is coming up in October.  I can relate to a lot of your symptoms.  The eye and nostril on my AN operated side will water when I eat.  I was running 5 k races before my surgery - but I haven't ran since, the world bounces around too much, however this summer has motivated me to get back, and continue to fight through this.  My tinnitus is bad, but I am learning what life style changes to make that seems to keep it manageable.  I have your attitude - I'm going to make myself as normal as I can. Having AN surgery has taught me a lot about life, and I am a better person for it.  So once again, thanks for such a wonderful and inspirational post !

Bob

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 03:19:41 pm »
Heyyyy Long time no see!! It was great seeing your updates! I am sorry you have had such a wild ride since this all went down :( You and I were under the knife within a week of each other and so it was great to see how you've been doing!  I've been doing pretty much the same as before my wonderful discovery of all things AN.  I do have my issues still going on but I can live with them.  If you need to talk, please feel free to shoot me a PM!!  Again, glad to see you!! Take care Lyn!!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston