Author Topic: Boston Area Free AN seminar this Saturday, Sept 9 re: Balance and hearing  (Read 2702 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
sent to me in email from ANAUSA (local Boston chapter - thank you colorlady!)  If anyone is interested in attending, I'd love a companion to go along....

==================================================================

Dear Members and Friends of the ANA Boston Local Area Support Group,

It has been quite a while since our last gathering but I hope to announce a meeting date for October soon. In the meantime, I wanted to alert you to a free seminar on hearing and balance at the Mass General Hospital on Saturday September 9th. A pdf brochure about the event can be accessed by clicking on the link below. Seating is limited so you may want to call and register in advance.

http://www.meei.harvard.edu/shared/oto/audiology/pdf/hyh06.pdf   

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: Boston Area Free AN seminar this Saturday, Sept 9 re: Balance and hearing
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 03:14:10 pm »
That sounds really intriguing!  I'd definitely go if I didn't already have other plans.

(Man, you'd think I have a busy life or something!!  LOL!)

Let us know if you go and learn anything interesting.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 04:21:10 pm »
you got it Katie...I'm sure you are still "nesting" and prepping and such, so well understood.... I think a lot of us coudl really gain something from this.  Just hate the thought of walking in alone  :o

*turns around and glares at peanut gallery*

it's true!  I hate walking in places alone!

Any takers?  This does sound real good!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 05:06:24 pm »
Was a great seminar and fully-packed auditorium. I had no clue what Mass Eye and Ear are doing in the research of helping those with understanding better tinnitus, BAHA and cochlear implants. Well, of course, during Q&A, I had to ask about the devices (granted we know BAHA - *waves hi to JoeF* - are being used by AN patients) for those that had to sacrifice the 8th cranial during AN micro-surgery... it was explained that there are auditory brain stem devices that are now being used across the country but the current outcomes are not that great.... and that MEEI are now prepping construction of a new lab that will focus on this... My friend (who is an inventor - MIT grad) is looking to do Auditory Brain Stem device development, especially targeted to NF2 patients (boy, did I let him know that I knew of a few.. and... he may join us at that symposium next year!) and he explained to me how the current devices are not that great but the technology coming into play is very excitiing.

Has anyone heard of or know someone that has had the auditory brain stem hearing device in use?  Anyone know much  on it?

Will share more info as I learn more.
Phyl