Author Topic: Improved cognitive function post operation  (Read 3900 times)

AWilliams

Improved cognitive function post operation
« on: July 14, 2013, 11:12:07 pm »
I'm new here, I was recently diagnose with a 4cm acoustic neuroma.  The only obvious symptoms are mild hearing loss and tinnitus.  It was only found because I had an MRI to check silent migraine symptoms were not something more sinister.  I will be getting it removed in the coming months.

Looking at many of the threads here it seems people experience negative impacts to their cognitive function and memory post op.  Has anyone ever heard of instances of peoples cognitive function improving post op.  I ask because I feel as though my concentration, memory and cognitive function has been decreasing steadily over the last decade.  I was diagnosed with depression, have never really performed well in my job and whilst I finished university with a degree in electrical engineering, I never performed well.  This starting from high school where I naturally got great marks in everything maths and science related and finished with the second highest exit score possible.  I really did enjoy learning, still do.  There is no lack of (initial) motivation or ideas, but the follow through and details are a real struggle.  I intend to start my own business selling a product I design and build.

My theory is that this was all caused by the tumour, it does seem to be having a significant impact on my cerebellum and brain stem based on the MRI.  Given the size it is likely to have been there for some time. 

prisca

Re: Improved cognitive function post operation
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 10:31:08 am »
Are you taking anything for the depression?  I only ask because my anti-depression meds help with cognition, too.

Chances3

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 11:11:48 am »
Hi AWilliams,

Welcome to this forum, I'm sorry to hear about your AN.

I have always felt that my cognitive level has been set back from my surgery/AN.  But I was 54 at the time, and just assume it is all part of aging.

Prisca,

What meds are you taking that helps you in cognitive learning?

Thanks

AWilliams

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 05:46:21 pm »
The depression is gone (seemingly).  I was taking zoloft for a couple of years but I didn't really feel it achieved anything and stopped taking them over time.  I think I just came to understand myself a bit better and changed my state of mind.  What I thought I wanted and what I actually wanted were different things.

prisca

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 11:35:32 am »
Chances 3,

Currently I am taking celexa.  Lamictal was also good.  Body gets used to things after awhile and they're not as effective for me and so my meds doctor changes them sometimes.  My neurologist referred me to a psychiatrist for my meds because he says they keep up on the most current drugs more than he does. 

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 09:02:01 pm »
It seems that many things are possible. You may find some improvement, you may not. My experience is inconclusive. I can say my cognitive functions were not harmed, despite a 32 hour surgery and six-days of intubation. Have they improved? I am too arrogant to know for sure. However, I am doing some very good work (possibly brilliant) that I haven't done, but that may be the result of increased experience and knowledge.

The one thing I can say for sure is that even once you are on the other side of surgery, my may not know right away, if ever. You will have enough to deal with just focusing on recovering - even with an easy recovery.

So take it easy and deal with one thing at a time.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

AWilliams

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 10:07:11 pm »
I'm not expecting too much, I am expecting difficulty after the surgery and I will be happy just to get back to where I am at now in time.  I'm mostly curious if there is evidence of AN causing the issues I've had and then those issues improving after a removal.  I will just have to wait and see, I'm sure to find out first hand.   

AWilliams

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 10:17:38 pm »
Well I've had my surgery and everything seems to have gone as well as can be expected, they got it all too.  I don't appear to have any mental differences.  The facial nerve is damaged but it should recover, the surgeons seemed confident, complete facial palsy (you wouldn't ell by looking tough) though I have started to close my eye. I had a translab so needless to say I'm deaf on my right side, still some tinnitus unfortunately.

I do appear to have some issues with my cerebellum, my right side has bad motor control.  This has led me to have trouble with balance and walking and a bed in rehab.  Anyone experienced this, any idea how long it will take to recover.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 07:47:22 am »
I'm glad you have had a successful surgery and they got it all, that's great!

I did have trouble with my left side for several months after surgery with fine motor control. Making chords on, and even holding, a banjo was frustratingly difficult. However, with practice, exercise, and healing, it all got better. I have some facial issues, but they are essentially so minor they are not worth mentioning. I still have some speech limitations, but the only bad issue is that my stutter/stammer has increased. That though is also related to the fact that I keep thinking faster than I can talk or type.

The balance problem is likely more due to your vestibular nerve, not your cerebellum. Most of us have balance issues post-surgery. Those will generally improve with time and exercise. Walking, rest, and more walking, are the very best things you can do. Your body will need to learn to compensate. Vestibular therapy can help with this as well.

I was back to work in three months. That was after 32 hours surgery, two weeks in ICU with a slightly larger tumor. I was well in a year. I was weller the next year, and even more weller 3.5 years later.  Give yourself time and take of your body.

-Tod

Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

AWilliams

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 08:16:38 pm »
The reason I think it's the cerebellum is that my balance is ok considering (wii games in physio) and i can stand on one leg as long as it's the left.  My right side is significantly slower and less accurate in tests by the occupational therapist (50% worse) even though I'm right handed.  I am sure the vestibular is not helping however.

Time will tell.