Author Topic: I'm waiting for my mri result...  (Read 2235 times)

kerryB

I'm waiting for my mri result...
« on: October 11, 2013, 07:35:45 pm »
Hi,
I'm new to this forum my name is Kerry. I have had vertigo for the last 9 weeks. I get really bad spins like if I'm in the shower. Lately they wake me up. I now have motion sickness, can not look at my I phone or the computer for long. I'm confused a lot. I went to an ENT who checked my hearing and its perfect. He did eng testing and sent me for a MRI. He will be back Monday to read the report. The thing is I have the disk. I see a glowing little circle across from my ear. According to the scale its a little under 1cm. Could this be an acoustic neuroma? I wish I could post the picture on here. I'm 44 very health mom who wants this to go away. Thank you for reading my story any advise is appreciated.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: I'm waiting for my mri result...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 01:21:31 pm »
Hi, Kerry ~

Welcome to the ANA discussion forums.

While your symptoms mimic some AN symptoms that does not necessarily mean that you have an acoustic neuroma.  That is why your doctor ordered the MRI bran scan...to rule an acoustic neuroma (or any other cause) in or out.

My advice is that you not to put too much stock in what you see on the MRI disc.  That 'glowing little circle' might be a small AN but it could also be perfectly normal (and harmless).  That's why, if you don't have the radiologist's report (which would tell you if there were any abnormalities and specifically, an acoustic neuroma or any other type of tumor) it's best to wait for the doctor to read it and tell you what it showed (if anything).   Easy for me to say, I know, but really the only way to approach this situation. 

Try to keep busy and not allow your fears to overwhelm you as you wait for your doctor to give you the MRI results.   

I certainly hope it's not an acoustic neuroma (or any kind of tumor) that is causing your symptoms but if it is an AN, we're here to advise, inform and support you.  Please check back in with us when you have the results.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.