Author Topic: Just found out  (Read 6308 times)

melissatonystahl

Just found out
« on: January 29, 2014, 02:29:51 pm »
I just found out yesterday that I have a 3 cm cyst on the right side of my head. I am worried and scared from everything I have read so far. I don't even know what they will do about it. I was refered to a neurologist. Now it is all a waiting game

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Just found out
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 10:52:59 am »
You'll get plenty of advice and support here.

Keep us posted.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 12:59:03 pm »
Hi, Melissatonystahl ~ (that's a mouthful!)

I'm sorry you've received a diagnosis of acoustic neuroma/cyst but they are almost never malignant or fatal (if addressed) so there is that.  The neuerologist will review your situation and make what he/she considers an appropriate recommendation how to proceed, which might mean surgery.

Please do not allow yourself to be frightened unnecessarily. The ANA discussion forums are here for support.  That being the case, we have a lot of posts that are related to post-operative issues but most resolve eventually, people cope and life goes on.  Some AN surgery patients have few problems and enjoy a good recovery.  I trust you'll be one of those.  Meanwhile,  learn what you can, feel free to ask questions and try not to obsess over the 'what-if's'.

Please try to keep us updated following your doctor consultation.  Thanks.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

v357139

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 08:29:11 pm »
We have been through so we know how you feel.  Feel free to post your concerns.  We are here for you.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

kcarloy

• Translab 12/11/13 at House
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 10:59:07 pm »
Take a deep breathe and realize you will get it all figured out. Every case is different. Most people do outstanding after they have chosen what to do. You will have a lot of new information. Take someone with you to appts to help you remember everything! Work on positive thinking, it helps!

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 10:28:43 pm »
Hiya Melissa!! I know this is a scary time for you, but hang in there and continue to get answers.  Just a thought though, having a cyst doesn't necessarily mean you have a acoustic neuroma (unless that is what they diagnosed you with). My father-in-law went in for some emergency treatment and they did an MRI and found a big cyst in his head, but this kind was called an Arachnoid cyst, which resides in the upper layers of the brain and usually doesn't required surgery.  But please let us know exactly what kind of cyst they said, or if indeed this was an AN type tumor.  Either way, we will be here to help in any way we can...good luck!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

melissatonystahl

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 02:40:29 pm »
Thank you for the feedback. It helps a lot. I still haven't heard anything else because my doctor's office is having trouble finding a neurologist that excepts my insurance. This is so frustrating and people that need to get help keep getting pushed aside. I am getting fed up with just about all health care. They should have somethin in place to help people that need it. I will keep everyone updated when I find out what is going on. I will not know anything until I can finally get into a neurologist. Thanks again.

Tony

v357139

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 09:23:46 pm »
You can also get free phone consults in a very short period of time.  House in CA is one place.  You send your MRI and they call you with their diagnosis and recommendation.  Some other places do also.  It is a good way to get a fast start.  Most are free so there is no insurance to worry about.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

bbadhunt

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 10:43:13 am »
I just went through the exact same thing.  Diagnosed Dec 2 had to wait several weeks to get an appt consults etc.  I sent my MRI to Dr Schwartz House Clinic he consulted me within a couple weeks.  The more I talked to several Drs, Neuro Surgeons the more I knew I needed to go to House Clinic for their expertise and proven success.  I just arrived home yesterday from traveling down there Feb 12.  Surgery was Feb 13 and everything went well.  They got the whole tumor, saved facial preservation.  I have hearing loss now on my right side balance is getting better and a little residual numbness on the right side of my tongue which was there prior to surgery.  They say that should improve with time.  if you need to talk I am happy to visit with your either through email or by phone

2.7 AN Surgery 2/13