Author Topic: 3 weeks post surgery and feeling great  (Read 4192 times)

Jim J.

3 weeks post surgery and feeling great
« on: September 17, 2013, 08:43:54 am »
Tomorrow will be three weeks since surgery at house with Dr.s Friedman and Swartz. I have to say after a 14 month journey of being diagnosed and deciding what to do, it couldn't have come out any better. The medical staff and hospital were outstanding. I don't remember a lot in recovery except the docters coming in and asking me to move my face and scratching next to my . A.N. ear to see if I could hear. As it turned out they totaly removed a 1.6cm. tumor and saved 100% of my current hearing with no facial nerve damage. I remember my wife and cousin were with Dr.Friedman when I was informed and I think it was the only time in my life when I actually laughed and cried at the same time. It was definetly one of the most emotianal times I've ever expierienced.
The worst part was the frist week after surgery and I think most of the discomfort was from all the drugs.  Although, I never had any nasua  and was eating solid food in I.C.U. The dizziness and exhaustion was bad, but was expected after reading about it on the forom.
I felt good enough the last part of the 2 weeks to take a five day road trip up the coast to Monteray and back to L.A. to catch our flight back to Atlanta on 9/11. The Redwoods and coastline were fantasic at Big Sur and the weather couldn't have been better.
I just want to say I put a lot of trust in God and got a lot of prayers and support from my church, family, and freinds, which really helped me get through this along with the knowledce and support I got here on the forom. I know it's still early in recovery and I have a way to go especially with the dizziness but I returned to work yesterday and hopefully the dizziness will resolve itself as time goes on. I kept the ringing in both ears but as a bonus I lost the fullness feeling I had in my A.N. ear.
To everyone out there who is going through all this I want to wish you the best and may you have a good outcome with whatever you decide on doing.
Dr. Friedman has moved from House to Keck Medical Center of U.S.C. and of coarse he definetly has my recomendation.

Jim

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 3 weeks post surgery and feeling great
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 08:57:41 am »
Hi, Jim J ~

Congratulations on a splendid AN experience and what appears to be an excellent recovery! 

We really appreciate it when a member takes the time to post an account of his or her positive AN surgery/radiation experience. 

I share your hope that your recovery will continue apace and I can echo your thanks for the help of faith, family and friends as you traveled this road. 

Please don't abandon the AN discussion forums but occasionally keep us updated on your progress.  Thanks.

(another) Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 10:34:22 am »
Hi Jim .....

From a fellow Friedman/Schwartz benefactor, I say congratulations on another success story!

As you continue in your recovery, be sure to listen to your body and take short rest breaks, as needed.  Your brain is still adjusting to the recent trauma.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

nclabtech

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 06:39:02 pm »
Hi Jim, Congratulations on your great recovery so far! Tomorrow will be 8 weeks post surgery for me . I had the retrosigmoid approach by Dr Fukushima at Duke Raleigh hospital in NC and I too have had a rapid recovery. Dr F is very skilled and preserved my facial nerve and remaining hearing in my AN ear. I had a 1.2 cm AN on my right hearing nerve. I started to feel better by the 2nd week post-op and went on a road trip from NC to CT to visit my ailing grandparents on the 3rd week. I returned to work full-time on week 5. I am grateful to this forum for the support the members have given me and grateful to my surgeon for his skill and wonderful technique. Although I did not have my surgery at HEI, I did have a consult with Dr Slattery, who was very pleasant and reassuring.
I wish you continued success in your recovery and may you continue to be an inspiration for others facing AN surgery.
Cherie
Right 8 mm AN diagnosed 5/7/13. Some hearing loss, facial numbness, tinnitus.
Retrosigmoid surgery scheduled for 7/26/13. Dr Fukushima Duke Raleigh, NC
Retrosigmoid surgery 7/26 right 1.2cm AN, retained useful hearing, no facial deficits, constant tinnitus.

Jim J.

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 05:19:06 am »
Hi Cherie, Happy to hear of your successful surgery! I guess we can consider ourselves the lucky ones to have such a quick recovery. I could return to work early because a large part of my job is behind a desk and I can drive o.k. I'm going on 4wks. post surgery and still pretty dizzy but my balance is good. I tire out around mid afternoon so I try to get in an afternoon nap for about an hour.
Recently I've been hearing good things about Duke, maybe it will become the House clinic of the east coast or maybe it already is. It sounds like you made a wise choice.
My tumor was 1.6cm. and I had the Middle Fossa approach. My hearing reliability is "good" And have 100% word recognition in both ears. The girl that did my hearing test after surgery still recommended hearing aids but I'm undecided wether to get them or not.
Good luck to you and your future recovery! How is your balance and are you still dizzy? For me it seems to be getting better each day.

Gloria Nailor

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 10:13:49 am »
Congrats !  So glad to hear all went well, to make it through this with your hearing and facial muscles intact is amazing....lucky you : )
4/2011 diagnosed with 3 cm AN on right side
6/15/2011 retrosigmoid craniotomy which resulted in SSD, severe facial paralysis
7/2011 gold weight placed right eye lid
5/2012 tarsorrpapny right eye
6/2012 woke up with a smile
1/2013 cranioplasty because a screw came out of my head!
6-7/13 regrowth, GK

cindyj

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 12:59:02 pm »
Hey, Jim!  Glad things are still going well since we last talked!  Take it easy for awhile...along with taking some nice walks - awesome weather here in Atl right now!  Hope to see you at our next meeting (Nov 9th)...you'll be a good example for any new folks!

:D

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim J.

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 04:26:33 am »
Thanks Cindy, I'll be there.
I'm anxious to talk about long term post surgery issues, I'm still feeling dizzy.
I know how those new folks feel, I'll be glad to share my experience.

Jim

dacir2

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 10:12:17 am »
Hi!  I just read about your recovery and I"m SO happy for you!  I'm in the same place you were presurgery, though, and scared out of my mind.  I have no hearing in my left ear due to a nasty cold a few years ago, but on the way to diagnosing that, they send me for an MRI and found an AN on my RIGHT side!  Now nobody wants to touch me because if I lose my hearing in my right ear, I'm doomed.  I've been to 16 different doctors and am deciding between two doctors.  I think I have to have the surgery.  I've spoken to Dr. Brackmann at House and Dr. Selesnick at Cornell.  I'm so scared about all the after effects I've been reading about.  Are you seriously saying that you feel great?  How bad is the dizziness?  The fatigue?  How 'bout your actual head?  Did they go in from above your ear or behind?  Did they shave your head?  How big is the scar?  Can you see it?  (I have long hair, so I'm not THAT nervous about it, but.....)  Does it hurt?  Did you lose any facial muscle movement?
Help!
Thanks for posting.
I'm a "newbie", so I hope I'm doing this right!

Jim J.

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 07:21:35 am »
Hi,
I did feel great at the three week stage. I think I was still excited about the successful surgery. I do feel good, but still dealing with some dizziness and fatigue and still hopeful it will get better with time. Last Wed. was 9 weeks post surgery. I'm great in the morning but I start to fade late afternoon. I try to get a nap and then feel much better in the evening. I am 59 and age could play a part in that. I have heard from others, that have had surgery, that it takes time to recover after any surgery when you get put under. My surgery lasted almost 7 hours and that's a long time to be under anesthesia. I don't know if you're dizzy now but I'm twice as dizzy then before surgery. I had middle fossa surgey so the incision was above my ear, it started right at my hair line and looped around like an inverted question mark and ended right above my ear at the temple. The scar is completely covered by hair and you would never know I had brain surgery. My head was numb at first but I've gotten all the feeling back in my scalp. They do have to shave your head (only where the make the incision) but it grows back fast. My balance is good,I have no headaches, and no facial damage at all. My right eye watered more then normal the first 6 weeks but is back to normal now. My jaw was pretty sore at first and still a little sore still but getting better. I lost some taste on the right side at first but it is also coming back.
I wish I knew more about you and your diagnosis. When were you diagnosed? How large is your tumor? What is your age? Why do you think you have to have surgery?
The after affects are real but the only real bad ones happen a small percentage of the time so try not to be scared. Choosing a doctor with a lot of experience lessons the chances of the bad results.

Good luck on choosing a doctor and I truly hope you can save your hearing in that right ear,
Jim