Author Topic: Radiation Mask  (Read 7655 times)

coinman

• A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
Radiation Mask
« on: October 22, 2013, 05:27:06 pm »
I was just fitted for a mask for fractional radiation. Im hoping I can do five weeks with this mask. I had to have it taken off  because I became claustrophobic. Anyone else have this problem? 
2.1 cm left side
hearing loss , tinnitus, some balance issues
FSR 26 treatments  ending 12/05/13.

theshawn65

Re: Radiation Mask
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 12:51:26 pm »
Well if you are claustrophobic who cares if anyone else has the problem, you do, so asking others and hearing "no" may help you feel abnormal which you should not.

I just had my first FSR this morning and the mask while uncomfortable, wasn't bad as I focused on breathing, kept my eyes closed and tried to relax as much as possible. I don't have claustrophobia though so....

Did your doctor discuss or is a fewer FSR treatment option available? I still haven't figured out why it goes from 1 with Gamma to 3 to 5 with LINAC/Cyber then jumps to 27-30+ FSR, seems like there should be options in between.

Personally, if you can get through the first treatment session you will be fine imo because then you know what to expect, as the anxiety of it all contributes to your fear. Maybe during your first session you can try to focus on the fact a longer FSR treatment can have fewer side effects and preserve more hearing? Try focusing on the positives of what's going on.

Let us know when you are going in so we can provide words of encouragement and prayer.

Good luck
2.2 x 2.2 x 2.3cm AN -- 3 FSR LINAC Oct 23-25th 2013

coinman

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 05:35:50 pm »
Thanks for replying and the advice. I'll let you know how I make out with my first treatment.
2.1 cm left side

theshawn65

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 01:10:23 pm »
Please do so.

I had my 2nd treatment today and the mask was a non-issue as knowing what to expect helped greatly.
2.2 x 2.2 x 2.3cm AN -- 3 FSR LINAC Oct 23-25th 2013

terisandler

• Radical Mystic
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 01:16:14 pm »
I had CK last May and am extremely claustrophobic.  My initial reaction to the mask was discomfort but it didn't last long.  I made it through 5 sessions just fine.
3/25/13- dx 18x11x14 mm AN, hearing loss in right ear x 5+ years, 5 sessions of CK completed May 2013, now a "post toastie".  Follow up MRI 4/14/14 - 15x19x11 mm. Stable with some signs of necrosis.
 Yippee!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 02:21:28 pm »
Coinman ~

I went through 26 FSR sessions with the snug-fitting mask.  I'm not claustrophobic but it was still an adjustment.  However, when you know that you must undergo this treatment and it's inherent discomforts, one adapts. 

Claustrophobia presents a different challenge to the FSR patient and I would expect that the doctor and technicians have encountered such patients before and have a solution.  I trust you'll be able to find one that works for you.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

coinman

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 06:58:34 pm »
 I had my first radiation treatment today and survived The Mask. The Dr. gave me some Ativan , i still had moments of anxiety ,but I did it. I go again tomorrow and it should become more tolerable with time.
2.1 cm left side

phantagrae

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 11:47:33 am »
Hi!

I hope you get more used to your mask!

I had 30 treatments over 6 weeks in the snug mask--every week day.

When I had the mask made, I had some anxiety and had to really focus on breathing and relaxing, reminding myself that I was still actually getting oxygen, etc., and I was really worried about how I could possibly deal with the treatments.  And I'm not normally claustrophobic at all.

However, it took much longer to make the mask that it took for each treatment.  My technicians were very kind and soothing and made sure I was comfortable.  They also were very good about taking the mask off right away as soon as the treatment was over.

I think there were some days when it bothered me a little bit, but overall it was pretty easy and routine once I got going.

Hope it gets easier for you!  Good luck!
Numbness on right side of face beginning some time in 2012 through early 2013
MRI 4/15/13
20mm x 19mm x 16mm intra and extra canalicular AN on Right Side.  ("Largely extracanalicular")
FSR treatment beginning on July 22, 2013--going for 30 treatments

coinman

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 08:48:32 am »
Hello Phantagrae,
     I agree, that making the mask seemed to take forever. The Adivan helped ,but I still have to talk to myself to keep calm. I have 24 more treatments to go and I'll have to make the best of it. Thank you for responding ,hope all is well with you.
2.1 cm left side

BeckyMax

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 07:18:28 pm »
It is interesting, I guess there are multiple ways to make the mask.  I had mine made today.  It was a flat piece of woven material, stretched between a frame of 3 sides.  The technician ran it under water to make it flexible, placed it over my face and stretched it to the table.  She then placed cold washcloths on it to harden it.  the whole process took all of about 3 minutes and I actually liked the feel of the hot mask on my face, it felt like I was getting a facial.   After the mask was made, I went up to CT and had a quick scan done with it on so they can plan the cyberknife treatment.  i think the scan took about 5 minutes, it wasn't too bad.  They tell me they can cut eye holes in it for me to watch tv that is mounted to the ceiling if I want, but its a small tv and since I wear glasses I probably won't be able to see it too well so i might chose music instead.
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

Nannybee

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 08:55:53 am »
Theshawn65, my LINAC (Trilogy) was only one session with a head frame, not 3-5. There is also a new and very expensive frameless Trilogy for single session treatments.
AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2
AN treated with SRS April 2013
MRI Feb 2016 AN shrunk to 17 x 8 mm :)
Constant tinnitus in AN ear
Severe hearing loss AN ear