Author Topic: Sports After Surgery  (Read 4944 times)

Bman

Sports After Surgery
« on: May 29, 2013, 02:41:59 pm »
Hi everyone I'm a newbie here.

40 Years old wanted to know if anyone was able to return back to sports.  I play hockey non contact, but there still is contact and falling down.  I hear things about balance which might be the main issue.  Just hoping someone can give me some insight.

Thank you

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Sports After Surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 09:09:14 am »
I am 24 years older than you, but I was always invested in sports...I played in an adult baseball league, softball league, basketball league. I was a runner, swimmer, weight lifter. As a result of foot problems from running, I stopped everything except weight lifting. I lifted an hour yesterday, and I will be back at it today.

Every AN case recovery is different. My surgery was three years ago, and I am still wonky 24/7. Any rapid eye movement sends me into vertigo. If my feet were still capable of running, my surgery would prevent it. Bouncing up and down would really cause me to get vertigo.  Basketball, baseball, softball, all cause rapid eye movement and it stops me dead in my tracks.

Weight lifting does not cause me any problems. I use about 30 different lifts that do not require me to move my head very much. I watch myself in a mirror and that helps keep my balance.

The nurses during my surgery waged a bet on my age and missed it by about 20 years. My excellent condition helped in my recovery. My physical therapist said my physical strength is what keeps me vertical...when I start to fall, my conditioning is all I have.

This is just my experience. Being so much younger than I am, your chance for a better recovery is greater than mine. You may be able to go right back into any sport you want to play. In my current condition, I could not play. I gave up my wood working because of my wonkyness...stay away from those saw blades. My life has changed, but not for the worst. My weight lifting is very important to me. I have different hobbies now and my life could not be better. ANs are not the end of your life. It may open up some avenues you never considered. Life is what you make of it.

James

Chances3

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 11:04:37 am »
Hi Bman,

Let me first say that James wrote a great reply, especially about how life is what you make of it.  My vestibular nerve was severed in the hopes of stopping my continued full spin vertigo attacks.  They were ugly and debilitating.  I am 2 1/2 years post op, and I am happy to report this August will be 1 year that I haven't had one of those ugly attacks.  I was 54 when I had my operation, I am not 100 percent and probable will never be.  I get wonky and have issues with balance.  I used to be a runner, but I have not run since my operation. Having said that, 1 1/2 years ago, I skated at the open skate session.  I was surprised how much I enjoyed being on the ice again, and the workout was good for me.  I believe you will be able to play ice hockey again, but in a non contact environment, because any push or shove to the body, and your going off your skates.  You might have problems with making sharp turns etc., but I believe if you make your legs even stronger, it will compensate for some of your balance issues.  Don't be discourage by a lack of progress or setbacks.  Time is on your side.  Keep working at it.

Bob

phantagrae

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 03:22:16 pm »
Bman,

I think a lot of it will depend on how your AN is affecting you now and its placement, the type of surgery you have, etc.  Has your balance been affected so far?
You didn't mention anything about your symptoms or what type of surgery you're having, etc., so I don't know that anyone can really say whether or not you will have mild or severe balance issues.

My AN is relatively small and has not affected my balance at all (thankfully), and I haven't yet been treated (hoping to do radiation in July), so I can't offer you any specific advice, but the more you can share about your circumstances, the better others might be able to give you more insight.

Welcome to the forum (though sorry you have to be here...)  :)

Numbness on right side of face beginning some time in 2012 through early 2013
MRI 4/15/13
20mm x 19mm x 16mm intra and extra canalicular AN on Right Side.  ("Largely extracanalicular")
FSR treatment beginning on July 22, 2013--going for 30 treatments

PaulW

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 09:01:41 pm »
I live in Australia and this lady has been able to make a full comeback to be a sportswoman again after AN surgery.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon_McFerran.
Back playing Australian Rules Football after 14 months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04GPzoKUd5U

My personal view is that a lot of the balance problems we face can be overcome, but it takes a lot of effort.

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

JHP

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 11:05:44 am »
Hey Bman,

I play hockey in a no-check men's league and had AN surgery 5 years ago.  Outside of the normal contact during a game that might cause me to fall once in a while, I really never experienced any “balance issues.”  My hearing ability (or lack of) is my biggest issue on the ice as I lost all hearing in my “good” ear after AN surgery.   To reach normal hearing levels, I now need to wear a hearing aid in my other ear.  Of course, I have to take out my hearing aid when I play so I can’t hear much on the ice – but I can hear the whistle fine.  The only bummer is that I miss out on the conversations and banter during the game. 

Keep your stick on the ice...
JHP

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 04:16:21 pm »
I returned to barrel racing, which requires good balance to not fall off a running horse switching directions at a high rate of speed.  I'm not as good as I used to be, but have still been able to run in the top 2 divisions on a regular basis.  I'm also still training young horses.

kcarloy

• Translab 12/11/13 at House
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 10:56:32 pm »
How long did it take before you were riding again? I am also busy riding young horses and horse camping in the mountains. Getting ready for translab next month at House, just wondering how quickly you were back on board. Thanks, Karen

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 09:56:55 am »
I got back on my old faithful about 2 months after surgery.  A month after that, I started horse shopping for prospects because I had sold all my young ones before my surgery.  It was probably 6 months post-op before I felt like my reflexes were back to normal.  I had more trouble with back and forth balance than side to side balance, but part of that was lack of core strength because I had given birth not long before my diagnosis and surgery, but the more I did, the better it got.  Good luck!!