Author Topic: Now Six Year Wait and Watcher  (Read 13469 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
Re: Now Six Year Wait and Watcher
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006, 09:02:32 am »
Does anyone find your Doctors pushing to "get it out of there" even if it isn't growing?

antoinette

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2006, 09:23:01 am »
In general, yes. They want to "act" when it is still small. veteran doctors are more patient and carefull, they know that there is no other way "out" if we want it out. But there are other ways to treat, though we do not know for sure at what cost, it is worth investigating. I wish there was true statistics about the radiaation outcomes.
In my case I am glad my surgeon did not want to operate until the symptoms from having an AN would be worse than the results of even a successfull surgery. i still have it, it looks as if my body manage to compensate and the dizziness is a fact of life never to be change, surgery, radiation or wait & watch. The other symptoms are under control with diet and biofeedback.
I am glad, though I was sometimes scared and feeling abandoned.
antoinette

Laura

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2006, 02:36:42 pm »
Scott - my doctors were completely happy leaving it alone for now thank goodness!  ;D
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind

tatianne

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 11:51:57 am »
my doctor is in no rush to remove it.
He told me my AN is small, and because my symptoms are at a minimum that removing could actually make things worse for me.
He did two years of study at Harvard on ANs and he told me that sometimes they dont grow at all, even though this doesnt occur very often, he wants to make sure that mine is actually growing.
He has already suggested GK for me, he feels it would be the best in my case but has told me he will definitly refer me to a neurosurgeon for consultation, he said no matter what he believes he thinks the consultation is necessary and important for me. I was really leaning towards getting it out of there but i trust his judgement, i guess we will have to wait and see.
So no, i dont think all doctors suggest to get it out right away. I think it would depend on their experience and what they have seen.
T ;)
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

AN?

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2006, 12:02:59 pm »
I have also been diagnosed with a 5mm AN in March and my doctors also insisted on wait and watch. I have tinnitus, sometimes imbalance problem, specially when I am tired but as antoinette  said, it has become part of my life in past 2years now. However, just thought of sharing, my first symptom was in 2004 when I lost complete balance and was in bed for 7days. It took me 2 weeks to stand again and start normal life. At that time, it was diagnosed as viral attack (labryntithitis) and the doctor prescribed me 7 up/sprite or any lime+soda drink. I still find few sips of 7up or any soda drink very helpful, when I get dizzy.

antoinette and Bev will you please let us know what kind of diet you both are having. I understand everyperson is different, but as far as diet is concerned their is no harm is trying.

AN

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2006, 12:19:08 pm »
Just seems like my Dr. keeps saying, we'll just watch it for now, but you're only 30 so it's very likely it'll grow again in your lifetime. That being sais, we may as well take care of it now.

BevM

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2006, 06:31:49 am »
Hello AN:    I am not on any special diet; however, the Tinnitus doc I am seeing has had me journaling everything that I put in my mouth for the past two weeks.  The journal also includes medications, exercise,hearing/communication observations and  experiences, degree of tinnitus 1-5; stress 1-5; 3 positive observations/experiences.  I see her for the second time today and will have more information to share.  All of this will lead to a recommendation on treatment of the Tinnitus.  I have not noticed any effect of the above on any of my symtoms so far.  Let me know if you have other specific questons.

Bev

FranDS

• 7mm; diag May 2, 2006
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2006, 03:48:25 pm »
These waiting and watching discussions are great.  I hope I'm as fortunate as some of you.  I only recently decided (this month) to wait and watch and will go for my 6-month MRI in October.  Not all neurosurgeons want to cut.  Mine is one that is a believer in CK and only if I have to do something, so I'm stickin' with him!
Fran
7mm May 2, 2006
Waiting and Watching

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2006, 12:34:17 pm »
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is flaming?  I would really like to know so hope someone answers.  I am new to this whole AN business, and I am in wait and watch mode.  I'm ok with this for now since I don't have any symptoms that bother me.  My doctor recommended wait and watch, but he told me about the options that are available.  Obviously I think about the AN from time to time since I do check this board although not very often.  So I am not in complete denial.  It is always in the back of my mind--how could it not be.  Also like to hear wait and watch stories so keep it up all of you and best of luck to everyone no matter what approach you take.  Support is always helpful.  Thanks.  Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2006, 01:12:33 pm »
Hi Nancy, no question is every dumb. "Flaming" is an internet term used for when others don't tend to agree with what you say and make their emotions/comments known in a very....oh, how should we say.... "colorful" way.  Hope that helps.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"