Author Topic: Pulsatile (like a heartbeat) tinnitus  (Read 3818 times)

intrepid

Pulsatile (like a heartbeat) tinnitus
« on: November 23, 2013, 11:45:08 am »
I am a 52 year-old male with bilateral mild-moderate sensorineuro hearing loss.  I also can hear/feel my heartbeat in my left ear (Pulsatile tinnitus?).  The tinnitus is not consistent.  I have "heard" my heart beating in my left ear since I was 15 years old.

I should also mention that I had severe otitis media in both ears.  In my left ear the tympanic  membrane ruptured 2X and at age five I had mastoiditis (which was resolved medically).

Over the years I have mentioned to various MDs and Audiologists hearing my heartbeat.  Generally,no one has seemed particularly concerned.  On audiologist opined that that with all the infections in my left hear, left scarring that causes the tinnitus.

I am have mild but controlled hypertension and no heart disease.

My question to all of you is this:  Should I be concerned?

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Pulsatile (like a heartbeat) tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 03:07:45 pm »
I'd be more concerned with the "mild but controlled hypertension."

Are you overweight?

I was on BP medication for about three years. After losing 70 lbs this year I was able to discontinue my BP medication and my BP has been within normal range since then.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

JW123

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 11:54:35 pm »
I don't think I am any help, but I can relate. I have what I would consider to be very bad tinnitus and I can definitely hear my heart beat. The tinnitus pitch changes in rhythm with my heart beats. I've mentioned this before, but the tinnitus also changes with head movement, shutting my eyes, eye movement, and jaw movement. The eye movement by far causes the pitch change the most.

Joe
Left side VS - 2.0 x 2.7
Retrosigmoid on Oct 17th 2011
Surgery at Mayo Clinic with Dr. Link & Dr. Driscoll
SSD left side, delayed temporary facial weakness, ongoing severe headaches.

reg

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 04:03:11 pm »
I thought I was the only one that was experiencing that phenomena, I did a loads of research on the sound and diagnosed it as pulsatile tinnitus and brought it to my physcians attention (iam a vet and the veterans administration doctors are following me now as I don't have insurance for coverage anymore). istill experience the sound, its continuous and it sounds like a snare drum, a little faster than my heartbeat, very strange.  I don't pay attention to sound during the day but at night I sleep with the fan on to drown out noise.  hang in there and hopeful it will pass for us.
4.5 cm retro surgical removal dec 06