Author Topic: post surgical  (Read 3085 times)

phyl0035

post surgical
« on: January 05, 2014, 05:45:34 pm »
I had my surgery AUgust 1, 2013. I had an acoustic neuroma on my left side that was successfully removed at Hartford hospital in CT. I had a difficult time immediately following the surgery. I was talking to relatives who had passed and gremlins in the same conversation. Apparently that was caused by the anesthetic.  My ear didn't hurt much, but the incision on my stomach hurt terribly.  For the most part my biggest problem has been fatigue and nausea. This is not the same as tired. I am ok for 3-4 hours and then I need to rest. This time is continuously improving. The nausea had gone away, but is back. Regarding my hearing loss, it isn't an issue, because I had pretty much already lost it. I have actually found that my right ear is better because there is no interference from the left ear. My left eye closes a bit slow than the other and no one has noticed except the doctor. My balance is a bit off. I tend to veer to the right when I walk. I went to Rob, at Hartford hospital rehab for vestibular therapy. It helped and I do my exercises frequently. Drs Eisen and Schwarz were professional and kind. As much as I didn't want to have the surgery, my tumor had started to grow and change shape. Based on what i have read, I am doing really well. The scar behind my ear doesn't show. The shaved area behind my ear doesn't show. Unfortunately, the scar on my stomach is quite ugly, but I don't wear a bikini anyway. At this point, I am not planning to get a hearing aid or the Baha  implant. I am retired and do fine with my good ear. I just need to be aware of where I sit so I can hear who is speaking. In noisy situations, I have difficulty. Good luck to those looking at surgery. It could be worse. I could be facing a cancerous tumor and radiation. I am thankful for the most positive outcome I could have expected.

james e

• 75years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: post surgical
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 02:46:56 pm »
This is really a great post for the newbies. It is a difficult recovery, but we all do recover, and then we go on with our lives. Your surgery was just 6 months ago and you are still recovering, and you will be 100% before you know it. Your attitude really impressed me. I did not want this. I got it removed. I'm recovering. I had a positive outcome.

Bravo to you!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 08:54:09 pm »
I agree with you wholeheartedly.  I've always said there is much worse in life that I could have been "gifted" with; an AN is better than a lot of things.

It sounds like you are recovering well.  From experience I can tell you that the fatigue will last a while longer; some say it generally goes away at the 1 year mark and I recall that being about right.  So hang in there  :)

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nancyg56

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 07:56:17 am »
Good Morning!
My name is Nancy, and I am posting here for my husband, Buddy. He is scheduled to be admitted into Hartford Hospital for surgery next Thursday, and he is concerned. His tumor started growing after it's discovery three years ago. Dr Schwartz was comfortable waiting until now to perform the surgery, as was Dr Eisen. I can see that your recovery was rough, but I was wondering if this is a "normal" recovery. Buddy is a truck driver, and a farmer, very used to a lot of driving and demanding work physically. Would you mind sharing what it was like immediately after surgery? He was told 3 to 4 days in ICU and then home ASAP to avoid infection, but we don't know how mobile he can expect to be.

Dr Schwartz said that he could expect a good chance of vertigo, but that if he was not steady enough to walk unassisted, he would not be sent home. He is twice my size, 6'5" and 265 pounds, so I don't know if I need my son here to make sure he does not fall.

I think I am rambling, but honestly, because we don't know exactly what to expect, we don't know what to prepare. I think we are both just looking for personal insight, and I appreciate any feedback you can share.

Nancy

Kristena

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 12:00:47 pm »
Hi Nancy,

I wouldn't think the hospital would release your husband until he is steady enough to walk unassisted and not at risk of falling. I was in the hospital for 6 days and started with a walker, and did daily exercises with a physical therapist there: going up and down the halls, walking backward, turning my head left and right, then up and down while walking, and eventually tackling the stairs. He'll be tired, unsteady and sometimes dizzy, but he should be okay to walk without help. But it will be important to have someone at home available to help with whatever he needs. The hospital staff will make sure you are all comfortable with having him back home. Of course everyone's timeline and recovery is different, but in looking back at my notes, I was even driving short distances with my husband as a passenger after just 3 weeks! Best of luck to you!
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

kcarloy

• Translab 12/11/13 at House
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 06:23:57 pm »
Nancy, tell your husband to be motivated and to expect the best! I am almost 6 weeks post translab, have been stacking hay on the 4 wheeler to feed horses etc. I have been driving without problem since week 2, not all day! I have taken naps morning and afternoon until last week, when I realized my energy is about 3/4 of normal and wasn't wanting to nap. Everyone recovers at  different speeds, but I recommend thinking positive. The more you walk, the faster your body can adjust! Good luck, you won't need to hold him up, just a steady arm for the first week. Karen

nancyg56

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 02:12:57 pm »
Hi! Thank you for your replies. Buddy had his surgery lat Thursday, and it was successful in that the Surgeon was able to remove most of the tumor. He saw a little nugget on the post op MRI. Buddy is experiencing terrible headaches and his BP is high, so he is still in ICU. He says the pain is radiating from the surgical site, behind his left ear. He has a very high pain tolerance, so this has me pretty worried, no appetite, no energy, and quite lethargic. The PT said his balance is good, his strength is coming back, and he would be okay at home if someone is with him. I have requested a consult with the DR today, because his demeanor is so different from his normal. I wondered if the decahedron has am impact on his BP and she said it could, so we are going to review his medications.